I have been to Bangkok a number of times, but one thing I make sure I do everytime I visit this amazing city is try and make it to the famous weekend Chatuchak or Jatujak Market. Teeming with locals and tourists, you can spend days here and still not see everything. It really is massive and chances are you will get lost, or at least not find the gate you entered from, but don't let that stress you out. I have travelled from the Pratunam area of central Bangkok to Chatuchak by train and taxi and it wasn't too bad although train can be cheaper.
Absolute everything under the sun is sold here (in wholesale for some shops).
If you buy large quantities there is even a Chatuchak courier part where you can leave your parcel or parcels however big and they will post it to your home address anywhere in the world.
On one of our trips my mother bought this amazing red chandelier for her office studio, so keep an open mind, because you never know what you will fall in love with over there.
Inside the market, my favourite bits are
1. The pets - although it does look a little cruel, they are so cute and lovable over there and they dress them up.
2. The paper & handicrafts section - Gorgeous paper flowers in all sizes and paper products, homeware, ceramics in every colour shape and style
3. Gifts - lovely wedding gifting range here ( I was getting married soon after one trip so I spent a lot of time here buying giveaways and decorations)
4. Desserts - Sticky rice & mango and chocolate bananas were some of the amazing desserts that were being served along the open center passage.
5. Fashion - There are tons of fashion stalls, but look out for the really nice boutiques in the market. We picked up some really nice menswear.
Tips: There are plenty of refreshing drinks there, so keep yourself hydrated. Also try and eat at one of the air-conditioned restaurants, the heat can wear you down even when you in the shade. It can get very crowded, so keep your belongings close, but we have not really had any experiences of pickpockets as such.
Cannot wait to go again.
If you own or manage Chatuchak Weekend Market, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.