“un repas delicieux” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JP French Restaurant

JP French Restaurant
59/1 Sukhumvit Road Soi 31,Klongtoey,Wattana | Between Soi 23 and Soi 31(Soi Sawadee), Bangkok, Thailand
+66 2 258 4247
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 8,056 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: European, French, Brasserie, Bistro
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A place who mix good food and great atmosphere...
US
“un repas delicieux”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I had the good fortune to spend ten days in Thailand earlier this month. Based on the trip advisor reviews we sought this restaurant out when we were in Bangkok. It was delightful to find an authentic French bistro on a side street off Sukhumvit Road. The food was exquisite. We first went for the prix fixe lunch which included freshly baked French bread, an appetizer of a fresh tomato stuffed with tuna with herbs and garlic, followed by perfectly cooked fish with mashed potatoes and salad and finished up by cappucino cake and coffee for 380 thai bhat, which is about $12US. Even with the added 7% VAT and 10% service charge (which is the norm in Thailand) it was less thah $14 which is not necessarily cheap for Bangkok but extremely reasonable for this fine quality of French food anywhere else I have travelled in the UK, the US and Europe. Add to this that at lunch we spoke with Jacques one of the co-owners and he made us feel most welcome and comfortable and answered any questions we had--we really felt at home. My wife and I suggested that we return with a couple we know in Bangkok and we went back for a lovely dinner. I splurged and had the foie gras poelee (pan seared foie gras) and the filet de boeuf en croute (beef wellington), my wife had the duck breast which was delicious and afterwards we finished off the meal with a mouthwatering apple tart. When we had lunch we sat in the table by the window which was nice. For dinner we sat upstairs above the bar. The layout of the restaurant reminded me of bistros I have gone to in Paris. After the meal we chatted with Jean Pierre, the founder and told him how much we enjoyed the restaurant and he was a perfect host and treated us like old friends. JP French Restaurant is definitely worth a visit. It's a lovely treat and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself, especially if you enjoy good French food as I do.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
jpdebkk, Propriétaire at JP French Restaurant, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Voyager
I remember very well the evening with you and your friends,it was a great moment of conviviality,and if you enjoy the discussion,be sure me too
Thanks a lot for take time to write us this nice review but if i can just make a little change....it's about our price,the set lunch is at 399 baths...writing on the menu....it's because the tax and service charge are not charged...all the price on the set lunch or a la carte menu,are NET...
In that case,nobody is surprise by the bill because all is inclusive and the price are net
Any way,again many thanks and the team and myself wish for all of you a wonderful end of year and a fantastic next one

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Need to improve staff service manner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I was expecting to have a lovely lunch with my boyfriend but we couldn't stand the manner/attitude of the waiter and had to leave. When we arrived we were shown our seats. Then, the waiter just dragged out one chair and "threw" the menu board on that chair at us and walked away. We can read a bit of French but also didn't understand how we should combine our choices for their set menu so we called back for him. The waiter came back at us with the expression "I'm so bored with these people" written on his face. And without listening to what we have to ask, he said you can't read right? So can you just listen?...(with the expression "why do I need to waste my time with these people" written on his face) It was a working day lunch with only 4 customers including us inside. The restaurant was far from being busy. We felt that it'd be crazy to pay for the restaurant with such attitude and service manner so we left. I can't comment on any food since we didn't get to try any. Although, I can tell how our appetite has pretty much turned down with this. For anybody who doesn't want to have your day ruined, please reconsider going to this place.
P.S. The waiter was Thai.

jpdebkk, Propriétaire at JP French Restaurant, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
dear Oakhouse

Very sad to heard about a such bad attitude and be sure i will do fix this situation and make that will never happened again
it seems ,personaly,that it's a little bit excessif to note a restaurant only on this waiter attitude,without eating here
anyway,i'll do my best for this kind of things never happened again and could you please accepted my sincere apologies
Regards
Bangkok, Thailand
“Ooh La La!!! Amazingly delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The food is amazingly delicious! Went there with no expectation and very surprised with the high quality of the food, the service & the friendly owner. The Foie gras tastes so smooth delicately & melts in your mouth. The tartare de boeuf is coarsely chopped and using fresh beef! The turbot is fresh and perfectly cooked and really compliment with the pesto sauce. The beef wellington is just HEAVEN in your mouth. Lastly, the homemade gelato is a must. We will be back soon.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear oh_oillie
Many thanks for your revue and happy to see how you enjoy the place
have a wonderful new year
see you in 2014
Richmond, Canada
“French food in Bangkok!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Was surprised to have found such tasteful and accurate French food all the way in Bangkok. Service was excellent at JP, and so was the food. Its a small restaurant on a side street not too crowded area, a good spot for the not so busy relaxing days of the tour. Prices are very reasonable for a western restaurant in an asian country. They have a great beef dish which me and my husband shared, and some nice duck. A definite recommend !

Visited June 2013
jpdebkk, Propriétaire at JP French Restaurant, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Amanda
What a nice review you give us and many thanks for that
Really happy that you enjoy our place,foood,and reasonnable price
my team and i wish you and your husband a fantastic end of yesr and a wonderful one to come
“Great French cuisine ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Thanks for your hospitality JP. Your meals was great and just reflected the real French cuisine at its best, and we just forgot we were in Bangkok for a while (although I love the city). I personally recommend the boeuf en croûte and the foie gras home made. Whish you the best.
Damien

jpdebkk, Propriétaire at JP French Restaurant, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Damien
Really nice to you to give us a nice review
Great to see that our food pleased you and really hope to see you again
Again many thanks and wish you and all your beloved a merry christmas and an happy new yesr 2014