“Excellent views and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sala Rattanakosin Bangkok

You added Sala Rattanakosin Bangkok to your Saves list
Sala Rattanakosin Bangkok
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   39 Maharat Road, Rattanakosin Island, Bangkok 10200, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #94 of 608 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Excellent views and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had an overnight layover in Bangkok. This was the perfect hotel. The views are remarkable, within easy walking distance of the best sites. The food is excellent and staff very helpful. The only problem is that the taxi drivers don't have a clue how to find it, even after giving them an address. I finally found one who was willing to call the hotel to get directions. However, next time I will take a taxi from the airport instead of trying to find one on the street after riding the train into town as I suspect it is easier to arrange the taxi at the airport. Once you've been there it is easy to have the taxi drop you off at Wat Pho and then walk. Watch the scams at the sites, even those with official looking badges (tourist police).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
USA and Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

From the time we arrived till the time we left, we were treated like royalty or maybe more like old friends by management - Brian and Tony and the great team at the fabulous new Sala Rattanakosin. It is rare these days to feel so welcomed by hotel management and Sala certainly excels in this area.

We chose to spend a night at the new Sala Rattanakosin hotel on our way to our favorite hotel in the world for relaxation, their sister hotel in Ko Samui - Sala Samui, where I am writing this review from now, and were so pleased we did. We cannot wait to return and will refer all our friends here when in Bangkok. It is a fabulous Oasis, a great boutique hotel in a popular area of Bangkok for old and new visitors alike. The pier for River boat tours is a few minutes walk away and you are perfectly located for visiting top tourist attractions such as The Grand Palace, Wat Arun and The reclining Buddha.. At night you can walk to the flower market, and if you are staying a while, fill your room with the amazingly cheap flowers for sale there.

The Deluxe River view room we had on the 3rd floor had an unbeatable view of Wat Arun and a great couch on which to sit and watch this ever changing vista. You pay 3x as much for a similar view without Wat Arun in hotels further up/down the river..

The room was beautifully decorated with a modern thai style minimalistic theme which we love. The air conditioning was fantastic, and the large bed and quality linens very comfortable. The only negative about this whole experience would be the noise from the group in the restaurant below at night was very clear in the room we had.

We dined at the restaurant headed by the very friendly chef Tony for dinner and breakfast and can happily report the food was a good as any top thai /fusion restaurant we have been to in Bangkok and elsewhere. The restaurant covers two floors and also an outdoor dining area right on the side of the river. The atmosphere is fantastic as is the food and drink selection. We imagine this restaurant will become very popular with locals as well as guests as already it is getting great write ups by the local food media.

The roof top bar is an amazing place to sit and watch the sun set over the river and Bangkok. One could easily spend hours there. Again, the view is fabulous as are the drink choices.

On reading the few negatives other trip advisor writers mention about this hotel, namely sewerage smell, we say.. Wow.. Do you realise you are in Bangkok.. ?? The smell is part of the charm.. Its everywhere in this city.. However we never smelt anything unpleasant while staying here.
Those who cannot climb a few stairs would be advised not to stay as I don't believe there is an elevator and there is no swimming pool. None of these things was a problem to us.

We look forward to returning to this Fabulous Hotel and hopefully next time trying out their large suite on the 4th floor. At this price point in the competitive Bangkok hotel market and the fabulous friendly approach, Sala Rattanokosin deserves to do very well.
Thank you Brian and Sala team.. We will be back! K and B.

Room Tip: Book a River view /Wat Arun view Room.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I wanted to have a 'stay-cation' in Bangkok, so we decided to book the River View Deluxe at Sala Rattanakosin for one weekend. The location is ideal for those expecting to enjoy attractions in the old town part of the city - just within walking distance to Wat Pho (The Temple of Reclining Buddha), The Grand Palace, and the Temple of Emerald Buddha. Of course, Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn) is directly opposite the hotel on the other side of Chao Phraya River.
Our room had a stunning view of Wat Arun and even as a Thai I couldn't get over how majestic the pagoda of Wat Arun looked from our room. Like other Sala properties I have stayed at, the bed was very comfortable and I slept so soundly despite the party noise that could be heard through the thin walls.
I also loved the rooftop bar because I could get a 360-degree view of the surrounding attractions. I would say the bar menu is reasonably priced.
Breakfast was a nice treat in a relaxing and chill-out ambiance, with a variety of a la carte items to choose from, both Thai and international favorites.
The only inconvenience would be lack of parking space for those who are bringing their own car. You have to park at Wat Pho's parking lot, which is across the street-about 150 meters away.

Room Tip: Specify that you want the River View Deluxe at the end of the hallway. It has the best view of Wat A...
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

If only based on the service standard I would give it 5 star. Staff are very friendly, helpful as well as considerate. Locationswise not so convient unless you only after palace and temples. Close to pier but you have to wait for a quite while for a boat. If you after nice food, not many places nearby. Shopping is limited to a 7-11. It's a newly opened hotel so many things need to be improved. For example there is one unreasonably high step towards the main entrance. It's not safe for everyone even their own staff. Bathroom needs a retractable cloth line for drying washed underwears etc. It's such a shame this hotel especially the restaurant got perfect views but the sewerage smell is almost unbearable for public areas on ground and 1st floors. We stayed on 4th floor so not being affected. I can't imagine how people can enjoy their food with that horrible smell. Even we had breakfast in open area still can't avoid it. I wish good luck to the hotel to win the battle against the sewerage smell.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The wife and I took an evening away from work and family at the newly opened Sala Rattanakosin. Booked the room 404 with a direct view of Wat Arun. First and foremost the view of the temple is gorgeous with the atmosphere being very calming with little noise from the river or neighbors. Even though not far from our downtown apartment, it was enough of a change where we could relax and enjoy a wonderful evening.

Some of my favorite aspects of our stay was their breakfast, the rooftop bar, architectural details of the building prior to becoming a hotel and space room.

Breakfast is a tricky meal cause there are so many routes to take and how do you present something that has been done so many times. It can easily become very boring. Well, I opted for the rice-porridge with pork and I have to say, I was both surprised and pleased. The choice of rice and treatment of pork was unlike what I've found in other hotels nor in your local porridge shops in BKK. The coffee, breads and other sides were also good as was the service.

The rooftop bar was perfect with little to obstruct the view of Wat Arun across the river and Wat Pho (see photos). The bar staff were very attentive despite the big crowd that evening.

Architectural details (please see photos)

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the room but 404 was very spacious, comfortable bed and massive couch to lounge on and enjoy the view.

Will be going back for sure.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

They have done a nice job on this little hotel and the view as others have said is amazing but the stench of sewerage in the lobby area and up to the second floor is absolutely horrible. The reception staff just laughed when we mentioned it. Also when we asked to see a room we were told it is not allowed because it was all full but I had checked on the internet that morning and saw that there were rooms available. The front desk staff are a guest first contact and in this case not a great experience.
The restaurant was understaffed and with only 3 tables the poor waiter was over worked. To his credit he did a really good job. Our food was totally hit and miss. The spring rolls were delicious, the Krapao Kai was average and the somtum kai yang was below par, you get much better on the street 50 metres from the hotel.While we didn't eat western food we saw it coming to other tables and it looked much more enticing
The fruit drinks are beautifully presented with ice cubes made with the same juice.
The staircase is all black and a little scary if we you don't keep your eyes down.
The view here is the saving grace until they can get things right this is an avoid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony_SALA, General Manager at Sala Rattanakosin Bangkok, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear "pemblin",

Thank you for submitting your comments in regards to your recent visit to our new property.

Firstly, allow me to apologize for the odor on arrival. We have experienced problems with our sanitary systems during the property reconstruction works which we are currently working to rectify. Additional exhaust vents and material changes are currently being implemented to resolve this problem which does occur in the lobby area on occasions.

I was most surprised to read that we did not have an available room for you to view. At this point I can only assume that you visited us on a recent Sunday lunchtime when perhaps we were still full from the previous Saturday night and no rooms where ready for viewing. I would be most grateful if you would email me directly at gmboutique@salaresorts.com with the date of your visit so that I could further investigate.

We are in the process of increasing our manning levels. Dinner periods, especially on weekends are certainly our busier periods and as such most of our staff are assigned to this period. I am delighted to hear though that our wait staff did a good job in providing service considering.

It was regrettable to hear that you were not happy with the food quality. We have been receiving so many great reviews on the quality of food both online and in press publications within our first month of operation. Once again if you could provide me more information on why the food was not to your liking (e.g. too spicy, salty or otherwise) I would certainly pass your comments on to our kitchen team. Thai food can certainly varied to different tastes so it is important to us that we achieve the right balance for both tourists, expatriates and Thai nationals alike.

It is unfortunate that you would not recommend us at this time to other patrons. I would welcome the opportunity to invite you back to experience us once we have rectified the problems you have detailed in your review and hopefully we can sway you to a more positive opinion of our new property.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any additional information on your review or if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

Anthony van Sleeuwen.
Cluster General Manager - sala boutique
email: gmboutique@salaresorts.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Having gained so much from all the reviews in TA, I am writing an overview of the hotel

1. Location
It's not easy to find, taxi drivers do not know this place so saying Wat Pho is easier because the hotel is inside the lane facing Wat Pho.The entrance to the hotel is one of the worse I have seen, without the banner 'open now' raised on the top of the building, I wouldn't even know it is a hotel.

Short walking distance to Tha Tien, 10 mins to Grand Palace, 20 -25 mins to Tha Chang/ Thammasat University/ Amulet Market/ Wat Mahathat.

2. Surrounding
The lane during the day is noisy with shops, movers and trucks, so do expect it to be dirty and smelly. After sunset, the lane and entire street is quiet.

Other than the hotel's restaurant, there is another restaurant called 'The Deck' near to the hotel and a cafe right outside (Arun d Hostel). There is a 7-11 less than 10 mins walk away, 2 other local grocery shops leading to 7-11.

It's almost impossible to have dinner with a small budget.

3. Hotel Room
The hotel has 4 levels and no lift. Bed is hard uncomfortable.

The river room facing Wat Pho is magnificent, the flooring is laid with wood and can look very dirty with shoe prints. Wall is painted black and white, looking like an office's pantry more than a hotel room. Some of the original structure can be seen in the room and inside the hotel.

Toilet is small like a match box and the shower is next to it in a separate compartment. Water pressure and hot water is good enough for a decent shower. Does not have a towel hanger.

The room has 2 bottles of complimentary mineral water, coffee, signature tea, and 3 jars of dried fruits (if it runs out just ask for a refill). LED TV with international channels like BBC, HBO, AXN, Discovery and some local Thai channels, it has a ipod/iphone charger with radio.

It has most of the things I expect in a hotel and I am disappointed it does not provide facial tissue nor a full body mirror, and a few mosquitoes have been found in my room.

4. Service
English speaking front desk makes checking in and requests very easy. All of them are very friendly and genuine. The best so far in my years of coming to Bangkok.

5. Overview
Hotel is acceptable for relaxation and for those who intends to spend a short time around the Grand Palace/ Wat Pho area.

Room Tip: River room is a must but be prepared to take the stairs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony_SALA, General Manager at Sala Rattanakosin Bangkok, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear ‘nthreefive’,

Thank you for your honest and constructive criticisms from your recent stay at sala rattanakosin Bangkok. As a brand new property we value all feedback on ways that we may improve our guest experience as we begin to understand the highlights and drawbacks of the property from our guest perspective.

In acknowledgement of your constructive criticisms, I would like to provide a little more detail on the background of sala rattanakosin Bangkok and the property concept.

sala rattanakosin Bangkok is nestled within a century old residential and market area. The location is not well known for its accommodation options, which are indeed very limited in the area. The property will certainly not be renowned for its grandiose entrance, large foyers or glittering lobby but rather a very distinct boutique accommodation option for guests who wish to experience a side of Bangkok that is rarely appreciated for its local charm and ideal proximity to many of Bangkok’s iconic cultural highlights.

Having only opened 30 days ago, we are not as well known to local taxi’s nor is the Rattanakosin area for anything other than the surrounding temples and attractions. However, we are currently installing property signage on both the river side and road side along with signage at the top of the local market “soi” to assist guests and patrons in locating us. We do recommend a private airport transfer service (approximately USD 40.00 for a 45 minute transfer) for guests that are not familiar with Bangkok or are not comfortable with local taxis. For guests that do prefer the local taxi option and are having difficulties locating the property please do not hesitate to call ahead to our Guest Services team who will be more than happy to provide directions.

As mentioned the property is located within a market district and is very busy throughout the day with deliveries, food vendors, massage schools, religious ceremonies and local residents going about their daily business. Whilst we understand this may not be the ideal setting for everyone, many of our guests find this a charming alternative to the heavy tourist areas of Bangkok with the subsequent swarming of tailor shops, counterfeit product markets and street bars.

During the day, there are numerous local dining options that cater to the hundreds if not thousands of tourists that visit the temples daily. Admittedly most of these close for the evening however, the location is also only minutes from famous Khao San road for guests who would like additional dining and entertainment options.

The property itself is a converted river front warehouse consisting of two joined shop houses, as such, by law, we are required to provide two staircases and so unfortunately there was no space for an elevator shaft. With a restaurant dining room on the second floor and a rooftop bar on the fifth floor, accommodations are located on the third and fourth floor.

The design concept is one that I would describe as a fusion of contemporary design with elements of the historical significance of the site. A combination of minimalistic black and white furnishings with raw concrete and brick veneers, exposed columns and bearers. Like most of our SALA properties, it is certainly unique in design.

Bathroom layouts are different in the various room types and are designed to minimize their impact on the living space of the room. The conversion of the property from a warehouse as opposed to a new build has restricted designs and layouts but we feel still provide a very comfortable and modern city accommodation. Additional fittings such as towel hangers, mattress toppers (to soften the bedding) and amenities are still in the process of installation and should all be completed within the next two weeks.

We are delighted our gracious team left you with such a good impression. It is certainly a point that we pride ourselves on and will work to maintain.

In closing let me say thank you once again for your valued feedback. It is most appreciated. If I can be of any further assistance or if you would like additional information on any of the points above, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at gmboutique@salaresorts.com

Anthony van Sleeuwen
Cluster General Manager – sala boutique – SALA Hospitality Group.

Been to Sala Rattanakosin Bangkok? Share your experiences!