“The illigitimate child of the Bangkok burger scene.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fatty's Bar & Diner

Fatty's Bar & Diner
598/66 Asoke-Dindaeng Road | 11 min 25.09 sec (typical Bangkok style) walk from MRT Phra Ram 9 station, Bangkok, Thailand
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #194 of 7,929 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Late Night
Bangkok, Thailand
“The illigitimate child of the Bangkok burger scene.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

Fatty's is different from the outset. An unusual location, not difficult to get to but off the beaten track for most expats and burger fiends but well worth the effort to get there.

It's easily reached via the MRT and Rama 9 station (I happen to live within 10 minutes walk, lucky me) it's your typical shop house set up, a small bar, a tiny stage and bar area, and some tables out front. They regularly have bands, beer pong tournaments and other events which can sometimes affect your ability to find a table and to eat, but please give it a shot and have some patience.

Fatty's is a great example of how a little bit of know how can make a great meal. In Bangkok many places trying to do similar Falang food just tried too hard, or aren't really up to speed with the right combination of ingredients. Burgers and diner food is not rocket science, but it does take know how and finesse. And at this Fatty's excels. The food is always hot and tastes freshly cooked and appropriately seasoned.

The sides, from crisp onion rings to jalapeño poppers are done just right. My favourite is the Fatty's fat sandwich which boasts more protein and fat than I dare to mention, and is zinging with some crazy assed hot sauce, which can be ordered on the side if requested.

I know this sounds like an add for Fatty's, it's that good. Burger pretenders of Bangkok, step off, it's game.

• Visited October 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Week long hangover!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

I'm not sure if it was the company or the venue, but oh did I suffer after a night at the bar!!!! It all started with a fantastic dose of good old greasy comfort food. Some kind of sausage based alchemy with cheese, which I thoroughly enjoyed. This however encouraged me to consume large amounts of bourbon and beer. And most likely make a fool of myself at the bar. I believe it was an enjoyable night. Well worth a visit if you enjoy that period of self loathing which can only be provided by an evening of 1st class debauchery.

• Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great little bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

What an absolute gem of a place. Decor is really quirky, with 3 or four different types of art on the walls around the bar. It doesn't look like much, but honestly, don't judge a book by its cover.
We went on the AC/DC tribute night, and while some of the music was interesting, the bar itself had a great atmosphere, ridiculously friendly staff and good food. My friends all had burgers and highly recommended them. The drinks were so cheap as well, for 5 drinks it was 500 baht, that included wine. You can also buy a large variety of beers from around the world, they are a bit pricier, but are very cheap by Bangkok standards.
Location isn't bad, just over 10 minutes walk from the Phra Ram 9 MRT, take exit 1, then walk towards Rama 9 road, take a right when you see Amsterdam and then it will be on your right in just over 10 minutes time. I will definitely be calling back.

• Visited October 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“The local, for everyone on ratchada rd”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I have been living at A Space condo for 3 years, and when I moved here I was talking to my friend and co resident, saying " we need a place near us, with cool music, cold beer, aircon and good food" ... We never thought it was really going to happen, but a few months later my friend announced exited the news that there is now a bar open only 50 meters from our door called fatties, qualifying all aspects we discussed...I went to check it out...have not left since...it's great it's our "local". Every one that doesn't like it, stay away.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Awesome burgers, nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great. Easy to find(just walk along Rama 9 til the overpass hits the ground). Great tender tasty burger - cheap beer (Chang at 70 baht); Yoda the cat for my daughter to pet; and Mathew the laid back unpretentious but welcoming host. Great music too! Will be back frequently. Cheers Matthew!