“The best W I've ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Bangkok

You added W Bangkok to your Saves list
W Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 North Sathorn Road | Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Buy 2 nights get 3rd free
Ranked #47 of 764 Hotels in Bangkok
4.5 of 5 stars 715 Reviews
Austin, Texas
“The best W I've ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We booked the W Bangkok after doing some research online. It's right in the heart of Silom so very central to nearly everything in BKK. As others have mentioned, it's on a the BTS skytrain line so getting around is very easy.

The hotel is obviously new and everything looks immaculate. The lobby area is very nice and staff was warm and welcoming -- a nice thing after 26 hours of travel! The food and drinks we had while at the hotel were high quality but a bit pricey by Thailand standards, but it's a high-end hotel. Our bed and linens were insanely comfortable (your typical W-level materials). The pool was our favorite part of the hotel. It felt like a tropical getaway in the heart of the city.

Overall, strongly recommended. I would stay again next time I travel to Bangkok.

Room Tip: If you stay here, request a high floor. We were in a corner room and our view was incredible!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi Cody J,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your overall stay by our Whatever/Whenever service culture. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to bring you another fabulous experience at W Bangkok.
Nick Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A group of us (10 people booking 5 rooms) stayed here during Songkran. There were two couples, and the rest were friends (therefore 3 rooms with twin beds).

Forgive my long review, but I have a lot of issues with this hotel.

First of all, I would like to say I am a big fan of the W Hotel brand. I especially love W Bali and W Taipei.

However, W Bangkok was a BIG disappointment for me.

Here is why :
- Number 1 reason are the toilets. It is very poorly designed, and there is NO privacy. The sliding doors are tempered glass, and therefore see through. Which means if you close the sliding door (leading to the toilet) and also close the toilet door (that leads to the toilet bowl) - if you're standing from the front door you can still see the person sitting on the toilet seat or in the shower. Not only that, there is tempered glass near the bed headrest, and with the right angle you can peek directly into the toilet - seeing the person in the the shower, and also seeing person sitting on the toilet bowl (while you are lying in your bed). Because of this stupid design, I resorted to turning off the toilet lights while using the toilet (or I just went downstairs to use the lobby toilet (next to the Woo Bar).
- We booked 5 rooms total (4 Wonderful Rooms and 1 Suite). Strangely enough, only the one Wonderful room with a King bed (with the couple) had a curtain, for added privacy. Logic would dictate that if you have a twin bed, that means they're not "partners" and therefore a curtain would be a MUST. Instead, they give privacy curtains for the couple with the King bed but no curtains for everyone else. Again, very stupid design.
- the toilet door is either poorly designed or poorly installed. Sometimes when time you close it, it slides open by itself either immediately or after a few minutes. Of course, this tempered (see through) glass sliding door gives no privacy - but I like to close it when I am on the toilet seat because I don't want anyone else to hear me doing #2. Imagine my horror as the door continues to slide open while I am sitting on the throne with my room mate sitting outside. The same problem happened to my other friends' rooms.
- Sadly, I had heard of the toilet problem (ie no privacy) before checking into the W Hotel. About a week before my trip, I emailed the hotel directly, and asked that my room come with a curtain to the toilet. The hotel replied that my room would have a curtain blocking the toilet. Sadly, my room mate flew in to Bangkok before me and checked into the room - and when I arrived, I was horrified to find that our room did NOT have any privacy curtains. In this aspect, the Talent clearly FAILED to live up to their promise to give me a room with a curtain. If the Hotel Manager is reading this, please contact me directly and I will even forward you the email correspondence with the hotel. My room was 2414. This rooms does NOT have a curtain.
- the toilet water bidet is too powerful, and it hurts to use it. It is like a high powered jet of water, not a gentle splash.
- the swimming pool is very small
- the gym is also very small
- the gym area has no shower / toilet / steam room / sauna / changing room (unless you PAY for a treatment, or you can pay 800 BAHT to use the sauna etc facilities). The W Hotels I have been to overseas, included it as part of the FIT (gym) room. Sadly here in Bangkok, you cannot use the facilities unless you pay extra
- the elevator access cards are problematic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know how to use elevators with access panels, I know you need to press the card against the card reader for 2-3 seconds for the light to blink green etc before pressing the floor button. But this did not work all the time (even when using different cards). The same thing happened to my friends, too - so it's not the card problem. It is a problem with the card reader system.
- the train (BTS) is right next door, so expect to hear the train every 1-2 minutes. If you turn off all the music and the TV - good luck if you're trying to sleep from 6am to midnight (when the trains operate).

Things that I liked :
- Very good service from the staff. For example, when I asked the breakfast buffet staff where the toilet was, they personally walked me to the toilet. Of course, it was probably also because the toilet was located discretely behind the pastry counter (where there are NO toilet signs, again a very poor design choice) - but I will give credit to the staff for being so attentive to our needs.
- the beds are very comfortable

Will I stay here again? No. Because there are so many better hotels out there in Bangkok, and this sadly is NOT one of them. The room toilet issue was the biggest disappointment. What I do in the toilet - should stay in the toilet.

Among my group of friends (we had 5 rooms total) - not one of us would return to the W Bangkok again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hi MacGrumpy,
Thank you for stay at W Bangkok, and your comment truly mean a lot to us. We feel truly sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectation. We have noted all the issues you mentioned and will raise and discuss with the team about the problem you have faced especially toilet room design. In wonderful room we actually have twin bed which there’s a door in the toilet area for more privacy. We have been working on elevator access card and processing to reinstall the new one to all of them. Please feel free to contact us at pr.wbangkok@whotels.com. We still hope you will visit us sometime in the future, and check how much we have improved after your kind opinion or we do have more traditional brands that might be more to your taste under the Starwood umbrella when you next return to Bangkok.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

First time to stay at this new hotel. Reason is to avoid the demonstration area near Paragon where we usually stayed. Thought it is similar to W Resort in Maldives but it isn't. Crowded with young people at the lobby because WiFi is only free at public area. Too noisy for holiday feeling like in a disco or club. Swimming pool had a big party when we arrived. So very disappointing for the kids as we chose this hotel mainly we saw on their website that they have a beautiful pool. Absolutely not ideal for big family of 7 adults & 2 kids like us. Rooms are relatively small compared to other 5 stars hotels in Bangkok. Bathroom door keeps slide open by itself due to not properly installed. Location is good as it is close to many restaurants and 5 mins to Heathland Spa.

• Stayed April 2014
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hi Agnes A,
Thank you for your feedback.
W Maldives and W Bangkok have a different feel as W Maldives is a retreat (resort) property but W Bangkok is a city hotel so that has a different feeling but the concept will remain the same.
On Sunday 13th April we celebrated Thai New Years with a W Songkran Pool Party with in-house guests and outside guests. We apologize that the pool wasn’t its usual relaxing atmosphere due to the event. We do offer internet and room packages in all our room types which start from 41sq/m which is larger than average for the city.
If you do return to Bangkok we do hope you will try us again and we look forward to your stay in the near future.
Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is my third time staying at W Bangkok. The staff there all remembered me, and told me, "Welcome back!" The pool is the best part of the hotel. The location is perfect, within walking distance from Chong Nonsi BTS Skytrain. Love the room, and the soaking tub. I don't think I would stay anywhere else while I am in BKK.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi Pathjoel,
You just made my day!
Thank you for the amazing review and yes, welcome back! I’m glad that you chose W Bangkok for a place to stay in Bangkok as I can see that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to have the same experience at W Bangkok.
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at the W Bangkok for 4 nights booked through the Starwood website. I got a pretty good rate which includes breakfast. I must say say the breakfast is very good and one should include it in their package, plus there is not much other places to eat around the hotel if you are in a hurry to get out.
I got upgraded to the next level with view of the Sathorn Road. The room was very comfortable, good size ,open bathroom with good amenities. The only drawback was the curtain was not electronically operated for such a high tech design. You have to draw them manually and they were quite heavy.
Service was good in general. Also the location is very convenient as the sky tram is in front of the hotel. Also, you are away from the shopping centre which has the heaviest traffic. Sometimes you get around much easier.

I must say the overall experience was much better than the St Regis which I stayed at in February.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms have views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi Teenybears
Thank you for your great feedback and your recommendation about the curtain. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our food at our restaurant The Kitchen Table. We are happy to hear that we left a positive lasting impression on you during your stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to our talents as they will be appreciated. We are sure to keep providing best food quality, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed at the W in March, as expected the design is just cool and up there amongst the best modern hotel designs.
If you love this type of hotels you will feel home...if you like more traditional then stay away.
I stayed in wonderful room and absolutely loved the lay out, design, the technolog and the ipad control for the lights, AC etc., the Bliss bathroom amenities just awesome.
The Whoo bar had great cocktails, but didnt like the kind of music they played, a bit old school.
Also if you stay there check out KuDeTa for sunset... amazing, all not cheap, but who cares, life is short!
i will be back for more....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi DivingUK
Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback. I’m happy to know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us especially the design of the hotel. As you mentioned about the music at WOOBAR, we have ‘Vintage Forever’ night on every Wednesday which the old school music played. If it’s not your style, next time you can try to go there again on another days, we have different kinds of music play in each day. Thank you very much for staying with us and we are looking forward to seeing you on your next trip to Bangkok.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This property has all the usual W hallmarks..the modern, dim-lit common areas, the chic bar that's busy on weekends, the constant music pumping in all areas from the lobby to under water in the pool. The spa is priced as expected but being in a city with infinite spa options, you can find a lot more for a lot less someplace else.

I had a Studio Suite. The room was new, uniquely furnished and very spacious. Bathroom new and well appointed. City views from your bathtub. Generous w Bliss spa bath products. Big comfortable bed and linens. Everything in room controlled by a master ipad-like remote which is really handy and easy to use. Room service 24-hrs, good quality, nice selection, delivered on time and nicely presented. All staff encountered were pleasant, nice and helpful, especially the guys at valet and the door who spoke great English, were organized and very helpful.

The hotel is located in a nice enough neighborhood but nothing really touristy (malls, street markets etc) close/nearby. It did seem safe to walk around the area however. Price paid was a really good deal and value for the area and type of hotel. Great, fun hotel for couples and groups of friends.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors for city views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Mgeolina
Thank you very much for your great feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W Bangkok during your trip in Bangkok. In regards to our Spa, we offer you very special treatments that you only find at AWAY Spa, we use ESPA imported products from UK, while our spa mixologists are professionally trained and we offer a relaxing atmosphere. Nonetheless, maybe next time you try one of the treatments there. Lastly, I will be sure to pass on your comments to our talents, and absolutely with the welcome ambassador. We are always happy to welcome you back to W Bangkok
Nick Heath

Been to W Bangkok? Share your experiences!