“Waitress unhappy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #257 of 7,590 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: International, Mediterranean, European
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Waitress unhappy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were seated inside by the round table. The waitress seemed to be pregnant, must be tired or something. Very grumpy and doesn't smile. The food was good but not the best.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Bangkok, Thailand
“Fun night out - watch the menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

we recently had a table of 10 and were seated in a private room looking into the kitchen - set up high expectations for the night. Some of our party had already ordered drinks, however, after more than 20mins no-one had check on the rest of us or offered any water (I was very hot and thirsty by this stage).
Unfortunately it got worse... upon ordering the special the waitress returned (5 mins later) to announce CAN-NOT... so I ordered again... another 5 mins another statement... CAN-NOT - this time causing 3 of us to have to re-order. My 3rd and final selection was available but NOT what I had in mind.
Good cocktails though and a fun night had by all

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Don't go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I went to quince because of the reviews but the restaurant doesn't live up to them. From the moment we were seated, no one came to service our table. I had to "wave" down a waitress just to get us some glasses of water. Several minutes later, still no one came to take our order. I had to "wave" down another waitress for that as well. We ordered two orders of the croquettes, the wet chicken, the hand cut noodles, and the banana and coffee ices. When we received the two orders of croquettes, they looked like two different orders. I will post photos to show the difference. The wet chicken was average and a bit bland, but the hand cut noodles were good. The coffee ice was also good. Overall, the ambiance was OK, the food was OK, and the service was the worst I've had in Bangkok. To me, the food of course has to be good, but the service has to be even better. And this place tanked on that. Prices were a bit high and even more after they tacked on the tax and service fees. I will never go there again and would never recommend it to anyone. If you want a good place to eat, I would recommend seven spoons instead.

Visited May 2013
Sanya45, Owner at Quince - Eatery & Bar, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Esther N,

Thank you for sharing your (not so good) experience during your visit at Quince.

We are truly sorry our staffs were not as attentive as they should have been. We are currently redesigning our stations so they should always face our guests and allow for eye contact.

As for the lack of consistency in our dishes, we cannot argue that is it acceptable either. This matter has been brought to the kitchen team and our new head chef.

We thrive to be a good neighborhood restaurant that retains loyal and enthusiasts guests. Anything that diverts us from being so, such as inattentive service or lack of consistency, is being addressed swiftly.

Sanya Souvanna Phouma
Owner, in charge of Guests Relations and Social Media
Bangkok, Thailand
“OK but not as good as before..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I live in Bangkok and visited Quince at least 4-5 times in the first few months it was open. We also referred more than a few friends to the restaurant. The food was always sharp, colorful, original and very flavorful. The cocktails were always great and sometimes amazing. After several months away, we visited again last weekend. We were surprised and disappointed. First, the Thai wait staff seemed quite unhappy and anxious. It was not clear why but late in the meal I saw the woman expat manager exchanging some harsh words with one Thai staff- something clearly was amiss. The food had almost entirely lost it beauty and flavorful freshness that had kept us coming back before. Vegetables were overcooked and entirely too sweet. The chicken was chewy and bland. For some reason, the management decided to stop serving fresh ice water in pitchers and start charging patrons for water in plastic bottles. I am sure it makes them more money but the water is nowhere near as good, the environment suffers and my bill goes up. Finally, the cocktails were very disappointing. I sent the first one back, a pineapple "margarita" that looked and tasted nothing like a margarita but was incredibly sweet. The second cocktail was a different kind but no better and I had given up trying by that time. All in all, something serious seems to have changed about this restaurant from a few months ago. Different chef? Different bartender? I do not know but there are too many great restaurants in Bangkok and so we wont be going back to Quince.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Sanya45, Owner at Quince - Eatery & Bar, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Veteran Traveler,

Your comment was distressing to read as you seemed to be a loyal repeat guest. We are very sorry to have disappointed you and your spouse during your last visit.

All of your points have been addressed to our management team since your post has been up.

We are currently in the process of changing almost entirely our menu as we have hired a new head chef. We trust the care and the attention to detail in the new items will be something worthy of another visit.

Consistency in the quality of our cocktails is also paramount we are currently putting our full attention in this area.

As for the water we do maintain our aqua gratis policy. Our staff are trained to ask our guests if they would like mineral water or drinking water.

Best regards,

Sanya Souvanna Phouma
Owner, in charge of Guests Relations and Social Media
Bangkok
“Tasty, healthy and interesting food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Quince is pretty much everything it is cracked up to be. The staff are friendly and professional, and the restaurant has a very attractive atmosphere. Even though the menu is pretty limited, it is really interesting - making choices more difficult than you would think. I had grouper in a coriander sauce. The fish was well cooked with the flesh just translucent, and a sauce that was light and fresh. My friend has a saffron risotto with squid, which he said was very tasty. The dessert menu seems to follow the "healthy" style of the mains. We ordered a sunflower seed tart and a pumpkin dessert. The sunflower dessert was ok, but wouldn't be something that I would order again. Although it did come with a very nice lavender ice cream. The pumpkin, to our surprise, was a big slice of pumpkin served with a rich vanilla bean ice cream. Again, to our surprise, it was delicious: I will definitely order this one again.

The wine list seems to concentrate on the old world. There was only one NZ sauv blanc. It was very good, but I was surprised by the limited number of new world wines on the menu.

Overall, well worth the visit. I would definitely go back.

• Visited April 2013