“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #381 of 755 Hotels in Bangkok
Malaysia
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a group mid November for three nights. I must say that for a hotel that is not new, the condition of the hotel facilities is good. Somehow you do see any character of the hotel; I wonder if it is because the staff are so 'quiet' and not what you would expect in Thailand, where people generally greet you with a 'sawadee' and a smile. At the check out desk, cafe, lobby, the staff are just pleasant enough, not rude at all, but.... just like strangers.

I accidentally left the 'do not disturb' light on when I let my room for dinner. This actually prevented my key card from opening the door when I came back. Fortunately, there was a housekeeping staff nearby who told me she would inform the front desk. Unfortunately, I waited for about 15 minutes and no one came to help. I went down to the ground floor and fortunately there was a staff there. Unfortunately, he did not speak English and just stood there expressionless when I told him about my predicament. Fortunately, I saw another staff walking passed and he took my key card and came back in 5 minutes telling me that they have disabled the 'do not disturb' control.

The breakfast spread is not bad. The nearby metro takes you to shopping attractions and restaurants in a jiffy.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Patong, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We booked through Agoda and got a Superior with breakfast included for something around $70 but even though we booked a non smoking room with a king size bed, we were offered a smoking room when we got there. We had in the back of our minds that we might upgrade to a Deluxe anyway because we had some rewards points up our sleeve when we booked, so this is what we ended up doing.
Found the room bright, spacious and well appointed. Nothing much to complain about in that regard. We found the bed extremely hard and the pillows extremely unsupportive....flattened down to nothing really. No power point in the bathroom for hairdryer was a bit funny.
Mini bar was a bit of a mystery. Apart from the spirits and peanuts on the shelf, the fridge contained 3 different waters (excluding the 2 complimentary) and a toblerone! There was nothing to indicate what they cost despite calling reception who said they would bring the cost sheet up to our room....never came. When I asked again next morning, I was advised they would ask housekeeping to leave one in the room.....never happened. That day 2 juices appeared as well. But I still have no idea what anything cost.
Found the breakfast good with an extensive menu to cover all tastes. Had to request our coffees....nobody comes around asking what you want, yet self serve wasn't an option.
Agree with other reviewers that the staff could be a bit more friendlier and helpful.....a few more smiles. This place was a bit different for us. We usually stay in smaller, boutique style hotels where you get treated with more personal and welcoming attention. We are simple country folk and felt this style of hotel didn't really suit us and would look for something smaller next time.
Having said that though, the hotel has a bit of style and was not that hard to put up with. :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights. It is just 100 meter from mrt station.

The room really needs a renovation. Furniture and bedding stuffs are quite old. Also, I couldn't adjust the aircon temp at all. It was fixed at 22C. The terrible thing is the toilet. It really needs a fix.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel by chance as I hadn't pre booked. Walk in price was expensive for superior room. 4.520 baht. Thank goodness for smartphones with internet as we got a room for just under$71.00 AUD. Large light filled room, no noise and spacious. Nice bathroom but tap fittings badly need changing especially shower head! As it was an overnight stay we ate out with family who live close by(hence the reason for staying in the area). Close to many shops and nightlife also Chatuchak weekend market. Well appointed hotel and location, staff have limited English and could do with a bit more friendliness otherwise couldn't fault.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here for vacation with tour and travel... I got deluxe room, so it was huge so was the bathroom.. There were shower and bath tub also..
Wooden floor, nice lobby. But sadly, the staff were not so friendly.

Opposite the hotel there were reflexiology place.
The hotel has 2 different restaurant. Western and international (japanesse). I was having breakfast in japanesse hotel. It was not too special there..

Menu was not so many.

Swimming pool: it's huge but windy..
I tried their massage service in my room. The therapist was so professional but sadly there's no special massage oil. They only used baby oil.

Overall it's nice hotel..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel was clean and easily accessible via MRT Huay Khwang
food the spread was good and delicious
too bad no free wi-fi :(
for budget travelers this will do . but not on peak periods i.e school holidays as the hotel will be full of local and non local tourist and will be crowded and noisy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My daughter and i travelled to Bangkok to get some dental work done at Bangkok International Dental Centre. After some research i booked us into the Cha-Da Hotel. We spent 3 very noisy night's in a very creepy hotel. Then we found the Emerald! Wow! It was fantastic! We got a great deal through Agoda. The Emerald is beautiful. The room we stayed in was a little dated but very elegant and comfortable. Great gym and pool facilities. But it's the staff that really made our stay great. A big thank you especially to Chief Concierge Aswan Mendez. He went above and beyond the call of duty to help us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Emerald Hotel? Share your experiences!