“Cool bar & excellent food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #69 of 7,183 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Japanese, Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Above Eleven is a rooftop restaurant & bar on the 33rd floor of the Fraser Suites Sukhumvit in Sukhumvit’s pulsating Soi 11 offering magnificent views of Bangkok's skyline. Above Eleven is the first restaurant in Bangkok serving Japanese Peruvian cuisine. Peruvian food has been generating enormous publicity over the past few years and is currently regarded as one of the top food trends in the culinary circuit. The venue has received raving review since its opening in April 2012. Diana Hubbell of Masala magazine referred to Above Eleven as "Bangkok's next big thing." Debbie Yong's review of Above Eleven in the Singapore Business Times hoped Above Eleven "Sets its eyes on Singapore next." Advanced reservations recommended. Reservation Hotline is available daily from 10am onwards.
“Cool bar & excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Above Eleven is a great place to see view of Bangkok skyline. Food was fantastic , we really love Shushi tho best we've been eaten in Bangkok. Drink also are delicious. Unfortunately we booked the table too late could not get the table that can see the view we sat at the bar instead which just fine and we enjoy the dinner tho the staff was very helpful and friendly.

Jean Y, Manager at Above Eleven, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear DNklusner,

Thank you very much for your comment and appreciation, I am sorry you couldn't get the table of your choice, Above Eleven gets quite busy, especially during week-ends, therefore we always recommend to place a booking at least three days in advance to make sure you will get a table with a great view of Bangkok's skyline.
We hope to welcome you back soon Above Eleven!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Absolutely loved it here ;-)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Went to above eleven with a few friends to celebrate my last night in Bangkok. I was recommended the bar by a friend who has previously been. The bar was everything and more than what I expected. As soon as we arrived the waitress seated us at the bar which had panoramic views of Bangkok (as we didnt previously book a table). We were given a menu immediately and were able to peruse the drinks. We ordered cocktails and a bottle of proseco which came instantly with a smile. The whole decor was lovely apart from the slanting bar as it made me panic my drink would tip. We were able to watch the sun set while listening to relaxing tunes and laughing with friends - fantastic! Would definately recommend this place to anyone!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jean Y, Manager at Above Eleven, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear DanielaUlb,

Thank you for your comment and visit Above Eleven, our team of engineers is going to work soon to fix the bar in the best delays, as Above Eleven lies in a complete opened area, the recent bad weather conditions combined with sun's high heat have dramatically affected the wooden counter creating this inclination. It will be back in order very soon.
Thank you, look forward to welcoming you back in Bangkok.
Bangkok, Thailand
“3.5 star venue, 5 star prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to Above Eleven and I was slightly disappointed when compared to my previous visit. Admittedly I came on a Friday night as opposed to a Sunday night, and that probably had a lot to do with it.

The people are nice and the vibe is laid back and unpretentious (which most definitely cannot be said for some other venues in the area), but it felt rather insulting to be asked to settle the bill after each order. Not to mention painful as the prices seem to have crept up since my last visit a few months ago. But the strange thing was that despite handing over my credit card and asking to settle the bill later I was brought the receipt and asked to sign immediately, not even having had a sip of my 350 baht cocktail. I queried this and was told it was busy that night so I couldn't have a tab. But it really wasn't particularly busy, we were sat at seats at the bar, and I really wasn't about to run off anywhere with my credit card behind there.

It doesn't strike me as an efficient use of staff time and moreover doesn't make business sense as I prefer not to be reminded all the time that I'm paying somewhat over the odds for a venue of this calibre in Bangkok. Had they let me settle at the end I would probably have ordered a few rounds of cocktails, but instead I left after the first.

A final bizarre twist comes with the wine menu. The wine is categorised into groups by price level, so far so good, but the 'trendy titles' of the categories are to be honest quite crass and not befitting of an establishment trying to be classy. The first section contains wines up to around 1200 baht or so ($40++) and is entitled 'sorry, love, I'm on a budget'; the next section goes up to around 2000 baht and is entitled 'the price is right'; the top category is something like 'I've got it and I'm gonna flaunt it' with wine at $200++. Yes, very funny, but be aware that the customer may read this as 'order this and look cheap' for anything in the bottom two brackets, and 'go ahead waste your money' for the top two brackets. Wine is rarely good value in Thailand in any price range, and it is no exception at Above 11, but this presentation on the menu simply draws attention to this regrettable fact.

Jean Y, Manager at Above Eleven, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Tony_Newman,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the recent service flaw you’ve experienced Above Eleven, as you admitted it: you visited us on a Friday, (by far the busiest night of the week), the service staff received some strict consigns regarding bill settlement on busy days to avoid any discrepancies at the end of the night; now they probably misunderstood your wish when you asked them to keep your credit card and run a tab for the evening, as there are no problems with this procedure at all. So please, accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the whole team Above Eleven.
Regarding the sections in the Wine List, we wanted to classify them by price sections, and thought that could be an original way to do so to give some unusual expressions, but as you said, it may affect feelings of some guests, and we’ll certainly revise the Wine List presentation to avoid potential embarrassment, again very sorry if you found that gimmick a bit insulting...
Many thanks for your patronage on your second visit Above Eleven and review, all of us look forward welcoming you back.
Best regards,
Hong Kong, China
“Great place for an evening drink with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great views of the Bangkok skyline, reasonably priced cocktails, not too sure about the food though. Had some sushi, expensive but ok. A place to impress, especially the big windowed toilets! Book ahead to reserve a seat to be sure of a decent spot.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jean Y, Manager at Above Eleven, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Tsferguson,

Thank you very much for your comment and review, on your next visit, may I suggest you to try the Peruvian cuisine, not very well known yet in Asia, and it is absolutely delicious...
Definitely advise to make a reservation a few days in advance to make sure to get a table, Above Eleven is quickly full and can be tricky to get a table without prior booking.
Preston, UK
“Fantastic Views, Fantastic Food & Drink and a Fantastic Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were due to stay in Bangkok for a few nights during a recent holiday to Bangkok. When in Bangkok we like to find new quality restaurants to try and especially like restaurants with a view of the great BKK skyline. During the planning phase of the holiday I dealt with the hotel and travel logistics while my wife planned restaurants, shopping plans etc! Unknown to me while I was making a reservation at 'Aloft' on Soi11 (separate review will be written), after searching the web and reading TA Reviews, my wife was making a reservation for us at 'Above 11' for a romantic dinner!
As you walk down Soi 11 Fraser Suites are at the end of the
Soi and an easily be seen day and night. One word of advice, when Soi 11 splits left and right take the left tuen to arrive at the entrance of Fraser Suites. Once on the grounds there is a dedicated elevator to take guests to Above 11. We had reserved a table for 6pm so that we could watch the sunset over Bangkok with a cocktail, before eating at 7pm but unfortunately on the day we went it was raining so we were initially kept inside and the sun wasn't to be seen.
We sat at the bar and ordered cocktails whilst we browsed the menu and immediatley lots of dishes caught our eye, it was clear the Chef and restaurant management had put a lot of thought into the 'Peruvian/Japanese Fusion' and we felt that we would be able to choose soemthing from the menu very quickly. Just then we were advised by some other guests that due to a celebration (we later found it was in recognition of the Peruvian National Holiday and of course the theme of the restaurant is Peruvian/Japanese), the restaurant was serving complimentary Grey Goose Vodka Cocktails and Bombay Saphire Gin Cocktails. In addition various hot and cold snacks straight from the restaurant's menu were being served complimentary. The quality of the cocktails and snacks were excellent with lots of different flavours which made your taste buds want more! Whilst watching the rain, eating and drinking we savoured the ambience which the restaurant generates.
The rain starter clearing up and so our waitress asked if we would like to move outside which we did. The views of a lit up Bangkok were excellent and with the warm Bangkok night the moment was absolutely perfect! Eventually the cocktails and snacks finished and we could have easily have left but as we were enjoying the experience we chose a very nice Italian Red so that we could continue enjoying the atmosphere (wine is generally expensive in Thailand due to heavy Government Taxes but we were pleasantly surprised to find a very nice Italian Red on the menu for Bht900 - this is less than we have paid in Thailand for lesser wines in inferior restaurants).
Whilst enjoying our wine Jean the Gen Manager introduced himself and explained the reason for the promotions and of course apologised for the Bangkok weather! As one would expect when having a conversation with a Frenchman involved in hospitality the conversation quickly went to wine during which my wife and I were introduced to a very fine bodied French Red at BHT1200, again an absolute bargain for a quality wine in Thailand.
Overall an excellent night in a very nice restaurant with great ambience and a very friendly, pro-active manager. We visit Thailand on holiday quite a lot and we will definitely visit Above 11 on our next visit to Bangkok.

Jean Y, Manager at Above Eleven, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Chrisrefparsons,

Thank you so much for such a detailed and positive review, glad you've picked the right day to visit us, we did celebrate the 192nd anniversary of the Peruvian Independence Day on August 03rd, the actual day of celebration is July 28th, but as it was falling on a Sunday, we thought it would be a better idea to get more attendance and moved our celebration on the following Saturday!
Above Eleven beverage list offers a wide variety of New and Old World wines at very competitive prices for everyone's budget. I am happy you've enjoyed the selection.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon.