“Up up the stairs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun)

Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun)
158 Wang Doem Road | Wat Arun, Bang Kok Yai (Take the boat to Pier Tha Tien and then take the ferry to cross the river), Bangkok 10600, Thailand
+66 2891 2185
Website
Improve this listing
Visit Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun) like an insider
Top Rated
$69*
and up
Bangkok Canals Cruise including Grand Palace and...
Ranked #4 of 412 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: This temple is considered to be the most famous and photographed temple in Bangkok, which features a soaring 70-meter-high spire decorated with tiny pieces of colored glass and Chinese porcelain.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Jakarta, Indonesia
24 attraction reviews
“Up up the stairs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Finally, I go here on my 3rd trip to BKK. This time, I specifically choose the hour before it close 17.00, because I don't want to climb in the heat of the sun.. At my 2nd visit I almost went here but considering it's 40 C and it's still 10.30, I cancel it. (I suggest evening hour for people who doesn't want to get too much sun and tan like me, since for me it would take 6-12 months to back to my actual skin colour)
It's great that this temple has Khmer style and there are many porcelains (or ceramics, I'm not sure on the temple)... so it's different than the other new BKK temples.
there are 3 parts of steps. the 3rd one is very stiff (My mum only went until 2nd one).
But the view from the top is really good....
the river bank, houses, temples, and colourful boats..
Make sure you touch the rail on the way to the top or downward.
entrance fee cost 50 bath and the crossing boat is 3 bath
I cross back to Pier 8 and wait till sunset...but at 18.30 it's not yet beautiful as the picture here and we must get in boat since boat service only until 19.00
But the tourist boat guide announced that starting March 2013 (he didn't say the date), the tourist boat is available until 11PM. Well, finally you can watch this beauty at night without have to take dinner cruise...

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London
53 attraction reviews
“Superb Wat Arun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Amazing temple covered in millions of pieces of broken porcelain set into the structure. Superb views over the city, the river and Wat Po and Grand Palace from the upper levels. Stairs are very steep near the top. No provision for buggies or wheelchairs to do anything other than wander around the base.
There are market stalls around the base, but no-one hassles you. Well worth the trip.

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
15 attraction reviews
“Been many many times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is an easy temple to get to and to get out of. I always take ferries to get to the secondhand market down the river.

Really it's easy to just walk into the temple. There are multiple entrances without fee booths, AND if you just walk through, very rarely will someone come and chase you demanding an entrance fee. I always went with my Thai friends, and they said just keep walking.

Do not wear skirts here if you're planning on climbing the steps. I wore a dress one day and that was a bad idea. I looked cute, but had to fidget and make sure people weren't staring at me from the bottom of the steps. It's a good workout.

I've done the touristy photos in Thai clothes twice. Don't be like me and intimidated by the speed. Take a little bit of time to choose which color you want, don't let the ladies pressure you. Also make sure you get the pictures you want. I got bad pictures, but it's because I chose really bad colors for myself. They try to rush you, but if you insist on taking good pictures they will adjust to what you want. I'm intimidated and a big pushover :P

It's a very neat and beautiful temple. There are beautiful views from the top. Going in the middle of the day is not suggested, unless it's cloudy out.

It has a very clean bathroom!!!!

Visited September 2012
New Delhi, India
8 attraction reviews
“very lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good art and having very big Buddha inside temple. good place for tourist who want to see unique design and interested to take good pictures.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stopped off on a hired long tail boat. Better to do the trip your self. Use the corss river ferry and then spend as much time as you want on this site. There is a jetty landing fee as well as an admissin charge.