“Great retreat in central Bangkok” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riva Surya Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Riva Surya Bangkok to your Saves list
Riva Surya Bangkok
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Phra Arthit Road | Pranakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Super Save
Ranked #28 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great retreat in central Bangkok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed 3 nights in Riva Surya. If there is one outstanding value is its quality vs the location. Walking distance from key old Bangkok plus location by the river make Riva Surya a must chose for the visitor in Bangkok.
When there the hotel is less than 4 months old and service while very amicable and nice is slow but more because non polished processes than the individuals. The arrangement of long tail boat excursions is seamless, go for the 3 hours, you will not regret. Rooms are nice, very clean and well taken care. Limo service to airports also great.
Definitely one of the best spots to stay in Bangkok, zero regrets on choosing it.

• Stayed December 2012

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
chapeau qc canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had to do a lot of home work to find this hotel. It is a gem. It is on the river so it has a great view. Our room was upgraded to a river view which can give you hours of free entertainment. The staff is most helpful. I left my camera on a long tail boat hired from a dock close to centre point pier. The gentleman manning the desk phoned someone he knew in the river boat business and obtained a contact resulting in my camera being found. That was a miracle considering the number of boats. On check out on sunday night we had to get through the night market to get a taxi and the concierge loaded our bags and hauled it three blocks through the crowd to get the taxi. The rooms are superb, The breakfast has lots of choice and we enjoyed it. River transport is right at your doorstep. This is a great deal for the price. Their are lots of night markets withing easy walking and the nearest wat has a great collection of antique grandfather clocks. Check it out.
I would stay here again.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I wanted a break in Bangkok so we booked at Riva Surya. The overall experience was fine despite some minor faults in their service but I found the hotel very nice.
The location was very good, by Chao-Phraya river, walking distance to Bangkok's major tourist attractions. Although you can find other cheaper hotels by the river on the same street but Riva Surya offers you more luxury (which I consider a nice treat to reward yourself!)
I really like their decoration and furnishing throughout the hotel. I thought it was stylish and you can see that great attention to details had been put here. I stayed at the premier room with a balcony overlooking the river. I spent a calm afternoon on the balcony until sunset which made you totally forget that you are in a busy busy city like Bangkok. Some reviews said the rooms are small, but not the one I was checked in too.
The setback I thought was the swimming pool; yes it is rather a paddling pool than a swimming pool and I felt it was not private as every one coming from the lobby to go look at the river or to the restaurant can totally see you. I suggest maybe better just to sun bathe but dont expect to get any swimming.
The minor fault in their service I experienced was; I arrived at the hotel 3.30pm to check in and I learned that the room is not ready (by listening to the receptionist speaking; I am Thai so I could understand everything!) so I had to wait about 10 minutes which is fine. And then when I was taken to my room, there were still service people working in the room. I even heard one person shouted out to his colleague to take the guests back later! Nevertheless, I was in the room, and they were still fixing the bedside lamp for another 10 minutes. I informed the management regarding this and they took in it and apologize.
However, besides that, other service experience was very well. As the staff and very friendly and helpful. They might just need more training but deeply you can sense that everyone would try their best to offer the best service possible.

Lastly, even though the hotel food is nice. Phra Arthit road is where you can easily find good places to eat even right across the street there;s a savoury crepe cafe and also a coffee house. And another block away you can find yourself at the famous Khao San road.

I would totally recommend Riva Surya to those who have an extra to spend and love spoiling yourself with luxury treat.

Room Tip: Book the room view a river view and the balcony.. Enjoy the sunset in the evening or better, wake up...
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here 19th to 22nd November 2012. I had a deluxe room which was very spacious and pleasant.
I found the staff to be very helpful with any enquiries I made.
There were two apple computers free to use in reception which proved very useful.
I also used the bar and restaurant and found the staff pleasant and with reasonably prompt service for both. The food was good also.
I used the pool only once during my stay and found it perfectly adequate and typical of most hotel pools although I think this has a nicer location.
The hotel seemed in an ideal location. It overlooks the river and is very handy for one of the river boat stops. It is also just a short walk from Kao San Road and the Palace etc.

Room Tip: Some reviews here indicate the rooms are small. If you choose deluxe these are large rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pattaya, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Somewhat small rooms ( I was in 316) was offset by quiet away from hustle and bustle of city. Can we a bit of drag if you aren't interested in the Khao San Rd but as others have noted in normal hours water taxi to Saphin Taksin and then the BRT can whisk you about.
Very clean and nicely finished and the design crew get a plaudit for their attention to detail ....not plush or over the top but functional and nicely done.
I flaw - every time the shower was used the bathroom floor was filled with water. Even if dor was opened inwards.
Breakfast was available overlooking the river and as a general room I would not want to stay here if there was anything but a river view. There's no point. With a river view you have a nice mid range hotel at fair value that is extremely clean and the service is good. I would prefer this type of hotel to massive chain that being said I am not sure that the location is all the useful ...but nice to be away from city center.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
phuket
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good point brand new hotel on riverside ,one step from Kao san road with helpful personnel. I spent a couple of nights there and never see any people swimming in paddling pool called swimmng pool.Rooms are not large and you need to be fit to move in bathroom. It is only a good 3 star hotel no more. Main issue locate Hotel at night with taximan, Better take adress of Hotel wrote in Thai and phone number whether you really want to sleep in your bed.Perfect 5 stars illusion!Obviously who can grade this hotel 5 stars ? So many real good 5 stars and cheaper hotels in bangkok with better facilities. Marketing only marketing.

Room Tip: all rooms are on the river but better choose highest floor to prevent noisy music from paddling pool...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The details of this boutique hotel and the pride in it displayed by the staff, (who were the friendliest of all the hotels we stayed at in Thailand) made an immediate impression on us.
The furnishings around the hotel and in the room were tasteful and well laid out, it's apparent that a lot of thought has gone into the design of this little hotel.

Even the customary 'welcome drink' instead of being a nasty cordial, was a delicious lemongrass and honey tea which then became our favourite drink.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the river side on the 5th floor (top floor) and we loved it. Watching the boats from a private balcony provided a more relaxing view of BBK.

The room itself was gorgeous and spacious enough. The bed was extremely comfortable, slightly softer than the others we encountered in Thailand, my man wanted to take it home, but if your like me and like flat pillows your out of luck...very opulent bedding.
The hotel's restaurant was the most expensive place we ate, but the quality was exceptional and made up for the price.

While close to Khao San Rd, the main drawback with the location is getting to the airport, or anywhere during rush hour.
Waking to Khao San is really easy, as there is a little soi next to the local 7/11 that provides a good shortcut. Transport via the river is a really good option and provides a nice change.

Upon arrival we got caught out by the road closure on Saturday due to the markets, thankfully our luggage was still relatively light as the tuk tuk driver refused to drive through the market.

The day we checked out the hotel staff stored our bags while we had a few hours spare before flights home. We lounged around the pool area for half a day, sleeping off a busy trip and no one seemed to mind.

My man was so taken with the hotel he told me to write a review, when he usually shuns that kind of thing. We were sorely tempted to extend our stay in BKK so we could enjoy the Riva Surya a little longer... 2 nights wasn't long enough.

Unless you have reasons for wishing to stay in another area of BKK, you will love the Riva Surya.

Room Tip: Go river side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riva Surya Bangkok? Share your experiences!