“Delicious Dim Sum at an affordable price” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,030 of 7,879 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Burlingame, California
“Delicious Dim Sum at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to this restaurant for lunch before I walked around the Chinatown area. I like the color menu with photos of dim sum, fried noodles and drinks. I basically pointed at the photos to order. Service was efficient. I have ordered 4 dim sum and 2 stir-fried chow fun( rice noodle) dishes. The food all came out relatively fast considering it was lunch rush hour. I ordered a beef fried noodle and a vegetarian fried noodle. Both tasted delicious. There was some new year celebration going on outside the restaurant when I went. It helps to have big glass windows so we could watch inside when we were having lunch.
Bathrooms are located on the 2nd floor. They were ok but there was no soap at the sink area when I went.
Canton House has several branches. I find out there is a branch at Terminal 21 mall and another one at a Testco. More choices if location other than this older branch on Yaowarat.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
“Excellent dim sum, no frills cafeteria style atmosphere, neglectful service, slow food arrival, super value prices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited the Canton House on a Tuesday afternoon for dim sum on the last day of Song Kran (Thai New Year Holiday). We got excited about this place as it was mentioned a few times in TripAdvisor's forums when the subject of good Chinatown dim sum came up.

This place is hard to rate because it's almost like having two totally different experiences depending on what is important to you as a foodie. See below for the way we broke it down.

FIRST PART: FOOD AND VALUE = 5 STARS
First, the food was very good and so cheap relative to other dim sum prices in Bangkok that I had to look at the menu a few times to believe it. Most items on the dim sum menu are 20 baht (~USD 75 cents) compared to 85-95 baht (~USD $3) at most other decent dim sum places in Bangkok . I was ecstatic, I even took a photo of the first page of the menu with the price highlighted on top (see posted images). For this first part of the experience, I give it 5 stars.

SECOND PART: SERVICE AND ATMOSPHERE = 2 STARS
Second, the place is basically a 2-floor no frills cafetera with neglectful service and moderate to long waits for food to arrive (see posted photo of main dining room). When we first arrived, it was busy and we put our name on the list. A party that was larger than ours jumped in front of us and grabbed our table so we had to wait for the next one. The staff seemed indifferent and too busy to be concerned. Once we sat down, the waiter arrived reasonably quickly and took our orders. Our water came but no glasses and we couldn't find the waiter so I ran up to the front and grabbed the glasses myself from the waiter station. The dishes took some time to arrive. The noodles and rice came out in about 10 minutes. But the dim sum took longer at about 25 minutes. They didn't bring any sauces including hot sauce or soy sauce so we had to ask for this as well but it did arrive reasonably quickly this time after we requested it. For thIs part of the experience, I give it 2 stars.

RECOMMENDATIONS
- Get table on ground floor, the upstairs room is even worse and feels like a prison cafeteria with no windows.
- Dim sum items we loved the most were the standard ones. Shrmp har kow, the other kind of shrimp dumpings, pork dumplings, deep fried rose shrimp dumplings, scallop dumpling, fried banana dessert - all fresh and very good.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Dim Sum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Best Dim Sum in Bangkok. Cheap, tasty, quick and in a GREAT location amidst Chinatown. The ginger juice is a must along with pork dumplings, steamed buns with bbq pork, and of course the duck

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Chinese and Thai restaurant in Chinatown Bangkok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I dropped by Chinatown and found this restaurant frequently visited by the locals. I ordered the Canton juice which tasted very much like a strawberry ice shake with too much ice. The stir fried dry noodle with seafood had prawn. The spicy seafood soup had good amount of mushroom, prawn and seasoning. The food was made with good ingredient and well cooked. Unfortunately there where small roaches coming out of their cracked table so I had to do some bug squashing along the way. It opens at 11am which makes it very unusual for dim sum, but that is the usual time in Thailand for most restaurant except for food cart and stalls.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milano
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you are passing the chinese area of BKK, at Yowarat road, don't miss this place. Its real full of thai and chines people, fod is good and price are lower your immagination. Is funny, it mix old style with modern service. It has a huge menu and most of choice comes in small dimension so you can have different possibility to try new food. Even you eat a lot your bill will be low. Try it.

• Visited August 2012