“'Admiral' Suites? Able Seaman, more like ...” 2 of 5 stars

Admiral Suites Bangkok
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   38/14 Sukhumvit Soi 22, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #210 of 765 Hotels in Bangkok
Derby, United Kingdom
“'Admiral' Suites? Able Seaman, more like ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Right; where to start with this one. The Admiral Suites (AS) is part of the same group, Compass, as the Adelphi Suites situated on Soi 8, a couple of miles or so down Sukhumvit Road, but a galaxy away in terms of quality (the website states it is 'situatued in the heart' of Sukhumvit Road, when it is in fact a few hundred yards further down Soi 22 from that thoroughfare). There the similarity ends; whilst the Adelphi is excellent in almost every respect (see my reviews to this effect) the AS is nothing of the kind. The AS also boasts a 3.5 star rating, although for the life of me I am at a loss to understand how it arrived at that, as I believe that it would struggle to make 3 stars at best. Here's why ...

When I checked in just over a week ago, I was busy unpacking my belongings and putting them away before my partner turned up after finishing work - we had both arranged some time off to spend a quality week together. I had also travelled to BKK at considerable personal expense to effect this. I opened a cupboard to find a towel there that had stains on it, and it was immediately clear that it has been there for some time, being crusty and with unidentifiable smears on it. I told the Reception who despatched a maid to remove the offending item; no apologies, nothing.

Further inspection of the room found no tea and coffee-making facilities, no shower cap as the hotel suggests it provided, no hair dryer, and nothing in the fridge except the complimentary bottled water. (Quote from AS website; 'Each suite comes FULLY equipped with the necessary amenities.') I had to ask twice for these items, but only the dryer and shower cap actually turned up. Again, no explanation or apology. The website also states that there are flat-screen TVs installed, which is simply not true as my room a 'superior Studio' - superior to what? - had what might best be described as a relatively obsolete box-type appliance.

Slight departure here as I'm getting browned off with negativities for a bit, so I'm going to try to be positive before re-acquainting myself with some of the more distasteful realities. The bed, as befits BKK hotel resting places, is fit for the many functions to which it will doubtless be subjected during its lifetime, be they gymnastic or otherwise. There's a nice cafe, the Parrot, next to the hotel which is pleasant enough - more on this, maybe, in another review. They also have a nice print of Turner's the 'Fighting Temeraire' in the lobby. Gosh.

Okay, here we go again: my partner was showering when the metal hose broke, so they sent a technician up to replace it (naturally, she was not in the shower at the time!). this he did, neglecting to tell us that the hose was so short so that if one wanted to shower, one would need to have the stature of a Hobbit to stand upright. Moreover, the shower is not walk-in, but a bathtub-style clamber-into with a flimsy and near-ineffectual shower curtain, and with a shower rose that, if inclined too acutely, sends the water literally cascading over the bottom end of the bathtub and all over the bathroom floor, presenting the bather with a flood of near biblical volume when disembarking naked and glistening from the tub. Pack your swimming gear, folks ..

As for the staff: well, they were not as attentive as the AS would have us believe, as they discharged their duties with variable efficiency, and can in no way be compared to the excellent Adelphi Suites people, for example. They could not change money into smaller denominations when I wanted to pay a taxi for example, do not offer a postcard- posting facility like every other BKK hotel I have stayed in, and the front desk Reception staff - the 'front line' and ambassadorial part of any hotel, seemed at times to be overly pre-occupied with personal exploration of the WWW on a second laptop, and which was clearly visible from the guest's side of the desk.

I also had to laugh at the website bit about the 'private balcony' and its 'unlimited fresh air from dawn to dusk', overlooking a coach parking lot! Ain't it amazing what the cunning use of the English language can do to present a 3rd rate institution (as I perceive it) as somewhere that offers 'immaculate luxury accommodations' and is a 'paradise getaway'. (Their words, not mine)?

Alright, I've had enough of this linany of problems and this hotel's literary jiggery-pokery. I need to get to work. I usually try to remain upbeat when doing reviews, but this one tests my powers of positivity to the utmost. Yes, I fully understand the economic logic of 'you get what you pay for', but this establishment does not remotely meet the claims it makes for itself, in my admittedly very subjective opinion. Needless to say I will not be staying there again. You decide by all means, it's your money after all.

Room Tip: Read TripAdvisor reviwes, and make sure that you read several to get a balanced view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, General Manager at Admiral Suites Bangkok, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear DoctorDarkeDerby,

On behalf of The Admiral Suite team, thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We also disappointed to hear about your experience as it is not representative of the high service standards that we work hard to achieve at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you received.

Our management team and I have discussed and reviewed the details of this incident and will address the necessary training needs to avoid a recurrence in the future.

Please rest assured that your comments have not gone unnoticed. We hope we will have an opportunity to impress you favorably in the future.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
cymro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Had another great stay at the Admiral Suites, great value for money, great rooms and very helpful and professional staff. The Parrot Cafe is an excellent place for breakfast, so good we had several meals there.
I would have no hesitation in staying at the Admiral Suites next time in Bangkok.

Room Tip: The superior and deluxe rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear jevs01,

Thank you for all kind words you have given us.

I especially appreciate to learn that your stay both trips with us were impressed with our professional staff . Here at Admiral Suites, it is our mission to provide a remarkable Thai Hospitality to our value clients.

Again, thank you so much. I greatly appreciate your generosity.

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the commencement of our holiday and after travelleing around returned to be greeted by "Welcome Back" from the friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were (218 and 211) were both VERY COMFORTABLE and were kept very clean by housekeeping. Location was excellent to Phom Prong BTS Station. The Parrot Cafe was a perfect venue to sit over a beer of Jack Daniels after a day of shopping/sightseeing. We both loved the Hotel/Serviced Apartments (we couldn't decide which they were as they combined the best of both). Highly Recommended

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear IamFossil,

Thank you very much for sharing a kind feedbacks regarding your stayed at Admiral Suites. We delight to hear that you were enjoyed your stay and satisfied with our accommodation, Parrot Restaurant and location. Thanks a lot for recommending us to other travelers on TripAdvisor website.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back here when you visit Bangkok next time. We look forward to have a chance to serve you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012 via mobile

Great potential for long term stay. Very good for the price. Had all basic hotel facilities but lacked service aspect. Breakfast average

• Stayed January 2012
Jonathan C, at Admiral Suites Bangkok, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear cimocounselling,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying with us at Admiral Suites. We are glad that you felt that our product was value for money. Your comments on the service aspect will be greatly considered by my team and I and improved upon in order to provide the best experience we can offer to our guests.

Thank you once again, and we do hope to be able to welcome you back upon your next trip to Bangkok!!
Toulouse
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed more then 3 months in this hotel. They have one side, on the big cars parking area, which is from 5/6 o'clock in the morning very noisy. My room was unfortunately on that side.
The furniture is in general correct but oldish and especially the bath room and air condition need to be refreshed. The bed was big and confortable, the room clean. The swimming pool and gym need also to be refreshed and the chairs, only 3 available, are not good and comfortable.The washing machines available work with 70 baht coins per washing section and they often get stuck in the middle of the process, so if you plan 1 hour to do your laundry, take better 2 because you might need to fix the problem with the staff before you can get your clothes out of
the machine. In general I don't wish to be their guest anymore, although the staff was smiling and friendly untill the check out, when the principle of the front desk told: you now listen to me!
She made a discussion out of nothing and she was rood to me, which in Thailand happens, now I have unfortunately to write it, almost never!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Jonathan C, Hotel Manager at Admiral Suites Bangkok, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Paul P,

Thank you very much for providing an insight onto your stay here at Admiral Suites and sharing your thoughts about us. We are glad that the cleanliness of our rooms as well as the comfort of our beds was up to your expectations.

We here at Admiral Suites are always open to suggestions and comments from our guests to improve our product and services. As such we treat all our guest comments and suggestions very seriously. In regards to your comments on the furnishings as well as air condition in the room, please rest assured that we are taking initiatives to repair and renew them for our guests.

My team and I would sincerely like to apologize for the unfortunate experiences you encountered while under our care here at Admiral Suites. However with your feedback we can further improve our services and products to meet all our guest expectations.

From all of us here at Admiral Suites, thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to serve you once again in the near future!!

Kamala, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

As many have said this is a good value option in central Bangkok. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and well-equipped and the service friendly and efficient. There is a small rooftop pool which is not really big enough to swim in. The breakfast at the cafe down stairs is poor however and not up to the standard of the rest of the place. Also, we found the air-conditioning hard to regulate and it blows right over the bed.

The Skytrain can be easily accessed by cutting through the Imperial Queens Park Hotel across the street and the park behind. Quite a nice walk.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tamyong,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience staying at our hotel here on Trip Advisor. We are very delighted that you have enjoyed our rooms and services provided. My team and I are extremely grateful for your kind comments in regards to the service quality and friendliness of our team.

We are constantly looking for ways to keep improving our product and services and input from our guests are always welcome. In regards to your comments on the breakfast and air conditioning, rest assured that we have made a note on it and steps are being taken to address them.

Once again we thank you for your kind review and look forward to the day we will be able to serve you once more!!

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Booked two rooms for a recent trip here . One room was fine through the stay. The other 210 , we had nothing but problems with ...The air con was poor on arrival , and later failed ,. Two engineer visits , one at 2am , didn't fix it ,..... We were moved to a superior room , and was told that was " just to sleep in" for that night ... After a little discussion next morning , this room was kept for the remainder of the stay, which , was fine .
Its a pity that this happened , and caused us to look elsewhere for our return trip , we used citrus 22 along the street , which cost about the same and was a lot better.

Overall , this hotel offers value for money , and is clean ,,,, shame the aircon / initial service recovery were lacking in this instance. We would considor stay here again , but may look a tother options first .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ianbeale,

First off allow us to thank you for sharing your experience staying with Admiral Suite here in Trip Advisor. We are happy to know that you see our hotel as value for money.

However we also like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you had faced in your second room with us. We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that preventive measures are being set to improve upon the problems that you faced while being with us. We are in the process of refurbishing our rooms to address the issues mentioned by you in your review.

Once completed, we would definitely love to have another opportunity to serve you once again here at Admiral Suites. We thank you once again and we hope to see you soon!!

Hotel Manager

Been to Admiral Suites Bangkok? Share your experiences!