“Great location but dated rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Grand President Bangkok
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14, 16 Sukhumvit Soi 11, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #426 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Makati, Philippines
“Great location but dated rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Grand President is a nice hotel. You can walk to the main shopping streets. It is only 5 to 10 min walking distance to the train station. The only thing to know when you book is that there is a new hotel and an old hotel. The pictures you see on the internet are probably the new hotel. If the price you get is with a big discount, you are probably going to get a room in the old hotel. You can ask about upgrading to the newer rooms when you are there, but they will probably charge you more.

One other nice thing about this hotel is the pool and gym are large and do not have too many people.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
GPBangkok, General Manager at Grand President Bangkok, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear gramirez7...,

Thank you for your review of Grand President.

Grand President has three buildings with 437 rooms and a large number of room types.
We continually improve our rooms but being a large hotel, I do accept that some rooms may look older than others, especially when compared to photographs.

We look forward to your return and hope that by your next trip we have upgraded many more of our rooms.

Should I be able to assist you with your reservation, please do let me know.

Yours Sincerely,

C/O Grand President ESA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Turkish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed in Grand President from 23rd to 25th Sept 2011. The overall experience was very good. Very efficient front desk staff. Ms Aurawan upgraded our rooms to better ones than what we booked. We were placed in room numbers 1128 and 1129 in tower 2. Fantastic room with all modern amenities and a very good mini bar. Good break fast and the hotel was near to all major mode of transports like taxis, tuk tuks, sub way. Careful with the tuk tuk and taxi fares, you need to do lot of bargains.

Room Tip: Take the higer level floor rooms. Those are having more lights and a possible good view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sanjay S,

Thank you for your encouraging comments following your recent stay at Grand President.
I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return.

C/O Grand President ESA
Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed with a group of 13 for a meeting at the Hotel. It was interesting indeed! Since we asked for the newly renovated rooms on Tower 3 (based on some suggestion on this website), the meeting room is in Tower 2, and the breakfast-lunch restaurant is in Tower 1. The 3 towers are within short walk but you have to cross a small but busy street to get from Tower 3 to Tower 2 and 1. Each tower has their own swimming pool, personally the best one is on the roof top of Tower 3. The room is spacious (the standard 26sqm), clean and bright, has a microwave, medium size fridge and small sink along with some cuttlery. The shower has good water pressure but the AC is freaking cold! Several people in our group ended up turning it off at night. The one asking for a smoking room ended up with a family of roaches that decided to introduce themselves on the last day of stay. (We informed this to the management and hopefully they'll act on it). The staff are friendly (their Thais..no surprise there) and HELPFUL..especially the FO and Biz Centre. The breakfast is excellent (on one of the days I was there halal food was provided on the buffet), but order their vegetable lasagna and you will not regret it. The location is what you ask for if you're looking for the hustle and bustle experience. There are many restaurants, bars and other small hotels within walking distance and of course the butterflies of the night...It is only a short walk to Nana Skytrain station, but if you decide to walk the block you will feel like you're in a mid-eastern country due to the many arabic-looking people and restaurants. So you have plenty of restaurant to choose from..There's small bank next door, a 7-11 further down to the left and a husband day-care establishment that served beer and steak just accross the street :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GPBangkok, Vice President at Grand President Bangkok, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear teasweet,

Thank you for the review posted on the 20th of September.

Firstly, I apologize if the air-conditioning was too clod in the rooms as experienced by you and many members of your group.
We have just concluded an internal meeting to discuss this and a team of Technicians will soon inspect all thermostats and motorized valves that control the flow of chilled water. We will then taken actions as needed.

My apologies also for the cockroaches in your colleagues room. We follow a strict pest control regimen contracted with a well reputed Australian Company. We will take this matter up with them and do an ad-hoc preventive treatment in Tower 3 of Grand President.

Thanks once again for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Rated #200 by tripadvisor....I think that this is actually generous. This hotel with large rooms is located in the lively Soi 11 Sukhmvit and not too far from the Nana Bts, unfortunately that's where the advantages finish. The President Hotel group is big with many hotels in the area including 2 on the same street. unlike it's very professional sister President Solitaire the Grand President is very much like it's other sister Royal president and for this it should be avoided.
For the price you get old out dated rooms and rude, dismissive staff that will make your blood boil. armed with my reservation confirmation print-out in hand (because they demand the hard copy at this hotel) they told me we have no rooms for the night. at this time I hear an American couple with the another receptionist having a similar discussion. Any ways some 20 minutes later (because I refused to move before they found me a room out of principal) they magically found rooms for both me and the couple. and after all of that this aggravation they actually had the audacity to ask what time do you think I can leave tomorrow...believe it or not they where trying to get me to check-out before 10am (WHAT??).
For the same price you are much better of at the Citadines Hotel just a few meters was. Better rooms and very friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dear theED,

Thank you for your comments and I wish to address your comments on the poor service you experienced at Grand President.

Our Front Desk informs me that you reserved the room at 23:11hrs. and arrived at the hotel at 23:32hrs. As our Reservations Department was closed at that time, they had to request you for a reservation confirmation printout.

Nonetheless, I apologize if you found the staff rude and dismissive. I have taken action internally and assure you there will be no recurrence. Our check out time is noon and my investigation to find out why you were asked to check out at 10a.m. was inconclusive. Sorry if this is what they informed you.

We are conducting a services of coordination and training sessions next week to ensure we offer faster check-ins and that there is no cause for Guests to feel staff were rude, no matter the circumstances..

In ending, I want to give you my personal assurance that you will experience a much better level of service if you choose to return.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I remembered staying here first in 1997 and then recently again last week (Sept 2011). In between I have stayed once or twice, but there are so many varied selection of hotels in Bangkok depending on your specified travel needs (and traffic consderations!). Oh yes, I deliberately chose Tower 2, as it is along the main road, and is part of the main towers of 1 and 2. No comments about tower 3, as I never stayed there.
This time around, it is no longer a business trip but a family vacation for 3, and we booked through its website and the rates keep on increasing week after week, a ploy i guess, to ensure that you book early and prepaid to boot!
In any case, we managed to book a junior suite of 56m2, that comes with breakfast for 2 (we were 3..). Room was as I remembered it, spacious with basic amenities, except now they have a DVD player in room, LCD TV, and luckily, water pressure in the bathroom was good for a shower! Room is clean (what a blessing!), and have a musky smell when you first enter the room without the aircon on. A blast of the aircon soon clear the smell, and it is otherwise liveable and convenient. We were lucky as the room came provided with a Teka washer/dryer machine, though it made a huge amount of noise as it tumbles your clothes, but hey, it is a convenience to get clean clothes night after night, so no big complains!
We were given free wifi, which is only assigned to one pc, so it's either my wife's iPhone or my notebook. But to their benefit, they offer to disconnect the connection to my wife's iphone so that I can connect with my pc instead. Otherwise, connection is good on 10th floor, and you have choice of either LAN or wifi. Oh, and the room come with a rather large electronic safe, good for storing any valuables for peace of mind when you leave the room during the day.
Staff service is pleasant, and the concierge manager brought up our luggages himself as they were short handed at times! House keeping does a good job, although I have keep calling them every night to ask for extra set of towels, even though they know I have booked the room specifically for 3 persons. It got to a point that they even stopped giving a kitchen towel on the 3rd day. Maybe it is because we did not give them a tip each and everytime they came with the extra towels..??
Food otherwise for 2 is adequate to its benefit, and caters for patrons from Middle Eastern culture and muslims alike, with food specifically marked 'Halal'. Free coffee and tea together with juices complements the plates of fruit spread, with cheeses and hams and a small selection of pastries. Eggs station is manned by one chef, and he gets innudated with request for omelettes.
It is a few mins walk to Nana BTS, which make up for all its other shortcomings, and along the way we came across local vendors selling cooked food to the locals by the streets, so we are assured of the safety of the streets.
By the fact that it is a few mins walk to the main road where the BTS is, noise is kept low, and you will not be kept awake from the blare of the nearby pubs on Soi 4, or the never ending traffic snarls on the main Sukhumvit road. A service apartment that caters for families and offer the convenience of a kitchen with a large refrigerator to store all our fruits and icy cold drinks, and a separate living room to space out after a day of walking and shopping. For those city folks, you will get a bit of a surprise when you hear the rooster crowing in the morning when sun breaks! Not a racket, but you will know that there are some live stocks nearby. Definitely suitable for free and easy stay with all short comings easily overlooked!

Room Tip: Most hotels charge for 7% VAT on top of the 10% service charge. If you book on the various hotel boo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GPBangkok, General Manager at Grand President Bangkok, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Taipei921,

Thank you for your recently posted review. I appreciate the time you have taken and I will address the relevant comments below;

Rates; Our room rates are dynamic and change based on occupancy levels and other market factors. Most hotels follow this method of pricing.

Housekeeping; Sorry there was a musky smell when your first entered the room. We will look into the ventilation of room 1021 where you stayed. I am also sorry the Housekeeper did not provide you with enough bath linen and a kitchen cloth consistently. We will retrain our staff on this and assure you it has nothing to do with tips you paid. Nonetheless, thank you for the tips; Housekeepers are the hardest working staff in a hotel and are often unrecognized.

Breakfast; Thanks to your feedback, we will add extra staff ‘egg-counter’ when we find too many Guests waiting for their egg orders. Regarding the menu, though around 40% of our guests are Japanese, we have many requests for vegetarian and Halal Food.

Taipei921, I take this opportunity to thank you for being a loyal guest since 1997 and we look forward to your return in the near future.

President Park Group
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We traveled in a group of 8 people.thus had 4 rooms.

The conditions of the non smoking rooms were reasonable. fairly clean and had a mini pantry.

on the other hand the rooms on the smoking floors where horrible, if you are a non smoker please request for a non smoking floor at all cost. the whole level smelled of cigarette, it was so bad that all in my group that stayed on those level fell sick on the second day of stay. Hotel stated that it was our fault because we did not indicate we wanted a non smoking room. But on the other hand we were not told of this option provided to us. all our previous stays in Hong kong and KL it was not needed to indicate. The hotel staff promised us we will be able to change room at the end of the second day but only go back on their word saying there are no rooms available. instead the manager offered a suit on a smoking floor, not seeing the point that we want to get out of a smoking floor, but after much persuading at the counter, they finally gave all rooms on non smoking floor. the fact is they had the rooms but did not want to give us the rooms. After all these, the manager tried to offer us some complimentary gifts, ended up giving 4 pieces of fruit as compensation for the trouble caused.

Hotel service is down right bad. staff not keeping to their word, Giving empty promises. as stated above.

The power for the whole hotel block tripped during the period of my stay, we called the reception to ask what happen but they never got back to us.

The hotel is also situated in a horrible location, the roads there are always jammed no taxi will want to take you back to the hotel because it will jam after they let you of.

don't be fooled by the free wifi, it is charged. we were told there is free wifi.

i will not return here again.

Room Tip: pick else where to stay
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear acokeaday,

Thank you for your posting the review and I regret you and the group you were here with did not have a pleasant experience.

Our staff should have been more helpful finding you rooms on non-smoking floors and I am sorry we put you through a lot of aggravation.
We have a month of high occupancies but to ensure we don’t have similar problems of poor coordination and service, we have to decided not to aim for a full house till we improve on our room allotment planning and internal communications.

Sorry about the power failure during your stay and our staff not reverting to you about the same.

Regarding the wi-fi, I’m sorry you found the service inadequate during your stay. We will be increasing the bandwidth and improving the infrastructure effective 1st November.

To try and make amends for all that we put you through, I would like to offer you one nights complimentary stay in a Junior Studio, any time before 31st March 2012. The offer includes the breakfast buffet for two persons.

I do hope you will allow us to offer you a more pleasant stay than your last one.

Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I bought a Wot mystery deal for the cheap price and it turned out to be Grand President Bangkok. Think that I got the worst room because it was a Wot Room. Here's why.

This hotel/service apartment has 3 towers. The reception is located in Tower 1 and Tower 2 is next to it. Tower 3 is located on the opposite side of the street with no amenities at the ground floor except a security counter. I was given a room in Tower 3, Level 2, next to the lift. The air smelled musty but it was clean and comfortable enough... The air con could not be adjusted as the controls were spoilt. So it was v cold at night. The bathroom was very very large and spacious although I wish more space was given to the dining area which is just a small table with 2 chairs. I think there might have been a blackout at night cos I woke up in pitch darkness and the aircon was off. The TV started to act up too and was hazy with bad reception.

Overall it's what you get for a price of about US$65. Good value and a short walk to Nana sky train station (about 7 mins slow stroll). I will recommend this only if it's at this price and you don't mind the basic standards.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear kokonuk,

Thank you for the review but I regret you didn’t have a good stay, mainly due to the poor air-conditioning.

We plan to inspect the thermostats and chilled water valves in all our rooms and repair any faulty ones at the earliest. I do hope you will try Grand President again and allow us to provide a much better level of service.

President Park Group.

Been to Grand President Bangkok? Share your experiences!