“Good Choice of Hotel in Sukhumvit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Save Saved
You added The Westin Grande Sukhumvit to your Saves list
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   259 Sukhumvit 19, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #140 of 751 hotels in Bangkok
In a land far far away
“Good Choice of Hotel in Sukhumvit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We enjoyed our one night retreat at the Westin Hotel. The room was lovely with the famous Westin beds of supreme comfort! We enjoyed room service, which was hot, fresh and fairly quick to arrive. The pool is very nice, but a bit cold! Good view, nice pool bar, and great fitness centre. Much cheaper than lots of other hotels in the area - so worth it!

Room Tip: Rooms with the view over the city (pool-side) - not facing the other street
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear mjfInalandfarfaraway,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel great value. I really appreciate the feedback and thank you for sharing.

Kind regards,

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed here for the last couple of days with a couple of friends. The staff was friendly, extremely accommodating, and overall made our first trip to bangkok a wonderful experience:) locate was next to the BTS and made getting around town pretty easy even during the festival/protests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Chifoodie32,

Many thanks for your feedback and I am delighted you were looked after so well, had a great experience and enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights unconsecutively and despite its central location to all transports (BTS and MRT) as well as Terminal 21 shopping centre I stil doubt some of the servicemind of its staff.

I kind of like the smell of this Westin branded hotel. As soon as I entered its property, in fact most of Westin properties has this distinct smell, its smell rushed through my nose. Upon check in on 7th floor I gave my passport and soon after was being recognised on my status and was taken up the 24th Fl (if remembered correctly) for club lounge check in. After freshly checked out from Plaza Athenee less than 30 mins ago also from its lounge I notice distinct differences. Staff at Athenee are clearly more attentive and 100% servicemind. Here at Westin some of the staff I encountered (especially the front desk/reception down 7th Fl they needs to at least learn how to smile more!!). This also goes to few of the men who manned a separate counter which looks like a porter counter? (the one near the lift that takes the guest down to groud floor).

I was upgraded to a non smoking suite but can still smell the smoke everytime I return to my room. May be the smell seeps through the air ventilation system? Anyway thats no problem for me but for some guests that chooses a Non Smoking room they are expecting a Non Smoking room surely. Room was large and most importantly its signature Heavenly Bed made me want to lie in there for an entire morning!! Toilet is on a small side though and I like to see it larger one day if they plan to undergo any renovation. On a Sunday morning I was woken up by a laud construction noise early in the morning. Wondering why they needs to do it so early on a SUNDAY morning. Make sure you are on a high floor if you want to avoid being woken up early on your weekend from its renowned 'Heavenly Bed'.

Platinum guest receive 3 pieces of complimentary ironing + unlimited local calls which I happy to see included. Club lounge does offer a nice selection of foods during cocktail hours (5.30-8pm) and I particular like its hot soup on 2 visits. There are some small selection of cakes and finger foods available too. Although the lounge itself is on a small side but it has nice cosy ambience similar to the Westin Kyoto.

Now hotel offer complimentary breakfast at its main restaurant Taste for platinum member as an additional choice (previously only available at club lounge). Selection isnt that massive like Royal Orchid Sheraton, Le Meridien or St Regis but I particularly like its noodle and Japanese station that offer pickled, fried salmon and miso soup.

I will return if the hotel roll out decent price as the location is superb and because of its proximity to the shopping centre.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear SPGLovers,

Thank you for the feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to post and share. I am also very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for the details on the areas you feel we could improve. Westin has a signature scent - white tea - which is in key areas of the Hotel, along with being available in diffusers and candles to take home. I am delighted that you find the fragrance pleasant and refreshing. I just wanted to ensure no confusion from your comments/advice to other travellers, that we were able to upgrade you being a Platinum SPG - and benefits of the room allocated (the actual Suite that you stayed) were included with your room, such as breakfast in Taste, 3 pieces of pressing and local calls. These are the Executive Suite benefits, and perhaps not all would be applicable if you are in another room or unable to upgrade. After saying that, it's great that you have taken advantage of all we have to offer. Many thanks again for your feedback, and we do hope to see you very soon.

General Manager.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We really like our stay at the Westin! The front desk agent that checked us in was fantastic. Very personable! Don't remember her name but her passion was shopping! The room was spacious and clean. The furniture was a bit old but still very nice. The bed was amazing as usual, bathroom was also great. The pool deck was a bit small for a hotel that size but we did not have a problem getting long chairs.
We tried Kisso their Japanese restaurant for dinner and we loved it. One of the best sushi we tried. Service was impeccable and food fresh and tasty.
Would go back anytime! Location was also brilliant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LouisEmerich,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post, and thank you for your feedback. Although a number of my team have a passion for shopping (actually, I think many people do both in this City - both local and visitors!), I have determined who this was - and passed through your kind comments to her. Many thanks! It's great you loved Kisso, our Japanese Restaurant, as really focus on the freshest seasonal ingredients with modern techniques. I'm also delighted you'd return anytime, and look forward to seeing you here again.

Canggu, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed over Christmas. We usually stay at Starwood properties, as they have a club room, so we opted for that and booked via our membership portal. On arrival, it is a tad disappointing, only as the entrance is on the 7th floor, but once there, staff were terrific and we were guided up to the Club room to check in.

I had booked and saw it asked for one or two persons, but honestly thought nothing of it! A room is a room is a room. However, we were asked for an additional $35 per night because there were two of us, which I thought was silly. After a short discussion, it was all okay, but I offered the feedback that IF they wish to set up bookings like this, then at least warn about additional costs for a second person, so that the correct quote is given. I've never come up against this before, it was not a good start. A family staying there also faced this issue, and they were pretty angry!

Once we got through that, I have to say the club is the best I've ever experienced. Fresh food, from breakfast through to 8pm. You can eat there all day if you choose! I can't eat wheat, so they made me up a delicious full meal. The club is small, which is something they need to think about when renovating next, there are certainly much better ones around from this perspective. The staff were great and we spent every evening there.

The room was okay. Clean, well appointed, nothing special. I did see another review commenting on the bath tub and have to agree! It looks out of place, cheap! But all else was excellent, very comfortable bed. I could hear a disco going but it shut off at 12. There is a pillow menu, hidden in the drawer...I suggest this is more visible, as took 2 nights to find it.

Location is excellent, next to Asoke station. We walked into "town" (Paragon etc) a couple of times, took about 40 minutes and lovely in December. It is right opposite a shopping centre but I wasn't that impressed, preferred in town!

The reception staff were good EXCEPT for a fatal bit of information we were given. We went to the palace, and two staff told me my top was okay, so long as I had a shawl. I was refused entry. A shirt or cardigan is the only acceptable dress, not a shawl, even if full wrapped around you. This was most upsetting, as we missed it given the time we got there was too late to walk all the way back and join a long queue to borrow a top from their store.

The lobby bar is good but I have already suggested they open it right up and make it half decent! So much more could be done with this space! Drinks were hellishly expensive and we didn't get our Starwood discount.

On that note, as we had booked into the club, we got nothing special for being members, no upgrade. Not sure if we lucked out or not! BUT they did help out with the booking being for one (even though in principal, I feel this is something that could have easily been avoided).

Would stay there again for sure, although went over to the Sheraton, which is also a lovely property.

Room Tip: Ask which side the discos are on!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AngustheGreat,

I do appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share details of both your stay with us and the surrounding areas of the Hotel. It's great you took advantage of an Executive Room, along with Executive Club benefits. We do offer teired rates for single occupancy or double occupancy in rooms essentially to ensure we are fair, as obviously greater cost associated with two people in a room, especially with Executive Club privileges.
I am sorry that this was not clear initially, and thank you for understanding. In relation to the Grand Palace, I have to be candid that even when i re-checked today, a shawl is advised as acceptable so not sure of the exact details. I will work with our Les Clefs d'or Concierge and the faciltiy directly, to ensure that there is no confusion and people are not inconvenienced at all. I am sorry that you had issues. Thank you again for the feedback, and i do appreciate the comments. We hope that we see you sometime again soon.

General Manager.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Westin is conveniently located in an area close to various dining and shopping options (Terminal 21, Robinsons). For the serious shopaholics the main shopping area of Bangkok (MBK, Central World, Siam Center etc.) is only 10-15 minutes away on the BTS Skytrain from Asok station right next to the Hotel. This Hotel is not new, and my room was certainly showing signs of wear and tear but it was nonetheless clean and well kept. Breakfast at the main restaurant "Taste" was excellent with a wide variety of Western, Chinese, Japanese and Thai breakfast items available. I stayed on the Executive floor and the happy hour(s) of free snacks and drinks were decent, although the choice of wine might be considered limited by some. The Staff members at reception, concierge and housekeeping were friendly, helpful and efficient throughout my stay. All in all, I had a very enjoyable stay and would certainly return to the Westin at the right price point. I do however want to alert Hotel Management to the unpleasant odour on the ground floor area which persisted throughout my 3 night stay (Dec 30 to Jan 2). This is NOT an issue at all for the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok is like Bath!
So, nice location near shopping center and BTS,MRT.
I think in the future, when I went to Bangkok, and was utilized here.
Also friends, I want to recommend. .
(which in turn is next to the huge Terminal 21 mall), the property is showing
stay at the Westin every time I visit BKK and have never been disappointed here, consistent quality and great service at this hotel. The location is perfect as it is on Sukhumvit and next to Asok BTS station & Terminal 21.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ryu Y,

It's great you enjoy your stay with us each time, and thank you for sharing and recommending to others. It's greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Charles Jack

Been to The Westin Grande Sukhumvit? Share your experiences!