“4 nights at WGS” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Grande Sukhumvit

You added The Westin Grande Sukhumvit to your Saves list
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   259 Sukhumvit 19, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #131 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“4 nights at WGS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My company have recently secured a corporate rate at this hotel (we have corporate rates at many hotels in BKK). I regularly stay in the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit over the road, which partly shares the same owners, and which is a world class hotel. So thought I would give the lower cost Westin a go.

I am Platinum on Starwood and Diamond on Hilton, and spend about half the year in hotels. A good friend liked the Westin so I was keen to give it a go. Other Westin hotels are among my favourites (the Leipzig for instance, which I will review after my next stay, and the W Barcelona which I have reviewed at 5).

I guess the Westin GS would rate itself 4 Star, but this is SE Asia and that raises the bar a lot compared to Europe or the US. So what is good? Well the rooms are pretty decent, good size, well equipped with tea and coffee etc, a minibar which while it was very expensive by BKK standards (beer was 30 Baht more than Sheraton over the road and that is a 5 Star Deluxe) was available to store your own stuff (the minibar checker told me this was no problem). The bed is a Westin Sweet Sleeper, and is very comfy (Starwood always have very nice beds, and you can actually buy them, the Westin typically sells them half price in August apparently). The by bed remote control was a bit cryptic, so light management took some study, but there was still an old fashioned "do not disturb" sign to hang on the door. Some reviews have complained about the carpets.....I don't think they are that bad, just the wrong choice of colour and texture to keep clean.

Bathroom was an ok size and had separate bath and shower and a sink and toilet. There was no bidet (I only say that as the hotel had a lot of Muslim Guests) but there was a water spray by the toilet. Toiletries were of a high quality.

I didn't get a suite upgrade, which is not a problem but did get exec. lounge access. The Exec lounge is actually very good, and better than many others in Starwood hotels.

So......why the three star review.....well, difficult to say, but the hotel seems to have no soul. The lady that checked us in was, well, almost cold or at least neutral, none of the usual "welcome to our hotel please make it your home etc" you find everywhere in BKK. The hotel has a very odd lay out. You walk into the "lobby" on the ground floor, which looks like a Westin lobby (the only bit of the hotel that does look "westin" really), but then you actually need to get a lift to the 7th floor to check in. The actual lobby is lined on one side by empty conference rooms, which make is seem pretty dead. The staff were polite, but not much more, except the maid in my room, who was a total sweety and restored my faith in Thai staff. (never even been in question in other hotel, and this was probably my 80th stay in BKK).

The hotel has a bar, generic restaurant complex, and a Japanese Restaurant. But nothing else. There are many places to eat near the hotel though (including in the Sheraton where you can room charge to the Westin......I did).

The hotel has a half decent pool and a nice gym (Life Fitness from what I saw).

So the ranking comes down the the brutal Trip Advisor marking system. In the hotel car to the airport I ask my colleague whether to give 3 or 4. We both agreed it would rate 7/10, but that isn't an option. He said " well it isn't a 4 is it" which it isn't, hence I rated it three.

If this is your first Asian hotel you might love it......if not, if you can afford higher price (maybe $30 a night) try the Sheraton over the road, or one of the other highly rated BKK hotels. Of it a tourist try the places on the river. As a frequest traveller BKK may have more affordable great hotels than any other city in the world......spoil yourself if you have spent a fortune on flights.

Room Tip: No real comment here. The Exec Lounge is good though and worth considering if you like a drink and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear TonyGWP,

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive comments, thoughts and feedback on your recent stay with us. Thanks too for your great loyalty to Starwood! I read through and think you enjoyed most aspects of your stay, but I am sorry that you felt some part of the physical building were a little disappointing. I am sorry that you experienced some insects in your room and pleased that we acted quickly, along with re-assuring you that all treatment that we undertake is non-toxic. I hope there is an opportunity that you will give us another try when your travels bring you back to Bangkok, as we'd be genuinely delighted to see you. Please do let me know.

Charles Jack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Westin for 7 nights on a family vacation..in total the family had four rooms. I found the hotel to be modern, you walk in and need to go up to the 7th floor where the lobby is situated.
 Our check-in took minutes and the rooms were ready when we arrived however our particular rooms bathroom did not have a bidet (or Muslim shower) and we called the front desk with our problem and  were given a new room within 15-20mins. The rooms were spacious and clean and  boast their own signature 'Heavenly Beds' which truly are what they claim, you literally sink into their pillows! The breakfast spread was vast with a lot of variety but I just wish they would change up the menu daily.
I think the location by far is whats so great about staying at this hotel of course not taking away from the excellent service and helpful staff, you have the Asoke BTS station steps away from you, the 7-11 adjacent to you, a great little  mall Terminal 21 a small walk away and you literally share a wall with the Robinson department store, a 24 hour Mcdonalds and a clean and very good massage parlor...what more could you ask for!!
All in all it was a great experience, absolutely great value for money and I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nadia2612,

We do appreciate you taking the time to share with us, and thank you very much for staying with us. I am delighted that you and your family had a great time, and the team looked after you well. Thank you for sharing all the detail with us and others., and thank you for recommending us. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back whenever your plans bring you back to Bangkok.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Back once again for a night stay due to its convenience to the airport. Tried out the new renovated rooms but seems almost like the same except that it includes a coffee machine and shower area got better. The bed still as heavenly as ever, so are the staffs (especially the housekeeping staffs) who were always smiling and providing the best service to their guest.

Will always return for its location and service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Nivla83,

Thank you very much for staying with us again and many thanks for the feedback. We do look forward to seeing you soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We recently stayed in an Executive Club room for 5 nights. We enjoyed drinks and afternoon tea in the club lounge, lunches by the pool and on one night we tried the hotel's buffet dinner which was excellent. The spa was also fantastic for massages. The hotel is well located next to shopping malls and the MRT.

Our stay at the Westin was split in two, firstly for 2 nights then after travelling elsewhere we returned later in the week for 3 nights. We were given a modern large room on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor for our first stay however, when we returned later that week we were given a small, older style musty smelling room on the Executive Club floor for the same price. We asked to move back to the Starwood Preferred Guest floor to the nicer rooms which fortunately the hotel was able to accommodate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
WestinBangkok, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear FHL_10,

Thanks for letting us know you enjoyed your stays. I'm sorry the room on your return visit wasn't as nice as the previous but it's good to know that the team was able to move you without too much trouble. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Trixie Scully,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great location in Bangkok. The train station is right outside the front door. The hotel lobby is on the 10th floor. Facilities were very clean and modern. I only stayed for a few hours because my flight was leaving early in the AM. I asked to get comped for the wifi but was declined. I did not agree with that since I was a SPF member and just spent two straight weeks at a spg facility. Oh well, I was not in the mood to argue.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jim H.,

Nice to hear that you enjoyed our location, even though your stay was very short. We do offer complimentary in-room internet access to SPG Gold members and hope you'll reach that status soon.

Kind regards,

Trixie Scully
Worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

If you are looking for a good location Starwood property, with an executive lounge this is just perfect.

If you need 5* luxury though, with no executive lounge, then the Sheraton grande across the road has better rooms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lee_the_traveller,

Many thanks for staying with us. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and the Executive Club Lounge and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels,

Trixie Scully
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

It is located on the same building as Robinson department store on the left and the hotel on the right.,that's why the hotel reception is located on the 7th floor. It is conveniently located besite Terminal 21, the latest shopping mall in bangkok and right next to the BTS skytrain station ASOK as well as the Metro undergraound station of Sukumvit. The staff and service is excellent. The rooms are cleaned once you leave the hotel. Even the standard rooms we were staying comes with the lounge chair and writing table. The toilets is spacious with a bathtub abs a seperate glass door shower.Fuits of the day are served to the guest and ther are more bottles water place around the room then you can drink.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Ratsin,

It's really great to read you post and thank you do much for sharing with us and others. I do appreciate this, and delighted you enjoyed what we have to offer, along with the surrounding areas of the Hote. Many thanks for recommending us to other.

Kind regards,

Charles Jack

Been to The Westin Grande Sukhumvit? Share your experiences!