“Nothing to write home about.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Grande Sukhumvit

You added The Westin Grande Sukhumvit to your Saves list
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   259 Sukhumvit 19, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #129 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nothing to write home about.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel is really quite shabby. If I wasn't here for business, I would've been miffed at what I was getting for the money I was paying. The carpet was old, the shower was weird, and the room smelled of stale smoke even though it's on a non smoking floor (there is a sign in the room that says you'll be charged $100 if you do decide to smoke, so I guess they are liberal with the term "non-smoking"!). The staff were nice, but they weren't excited about their job. I had a complicated situation at check-in, and the person checking me in was not impressed which put a damper on my first impression.

The only redeeming quality of the room was the duvet - I always appreciate a high quality comforter! As well, you can't really beat that location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
I appreciate you sharing feedback in relation to your recent stay with us, and I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectation. We are actually very strict with our non-smoking policy and have a large number of guest floors dedicated to non-smoking. I have asked the team to ensure they are very thorough, if for any reason this is not adhered to by other guests, in any way. I am disappointed you found the shower weird, but very pleased you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Bed along with the location of the Hotel. We are very handy to many things in the City and surrounds. If the opportunity arises to travel again from Gambia, do let us know - and we would be delighted to ensure you stay is most comfortable one.

Charles Jack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

With out words is this my favorite hotel in Bangkok. Service is the best of all the hotels I stayed in. The service starts when you arrive, everything is taken care of.Lugage at the entrance. Because checki inn on the 7th floor.Front office helpfull and super. The swimmingpool and bar staff is my favorite. She makes the best cocktails. Take care off you like a king. All the fascilities in the hotel are perfect. Staff in the executive lounge always very friendly. I can reccomend this hotel to everybody for a nice and perfect stay. BTS skytrain next to the hotel (10 mtr) Shopping next to the hotel (Robinson) Mc donalds and food next to the hotel.

Room Tip: High floor is good for the nice view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WestinBangkok, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Many thanks for sharing you recent stay with ourselves and others, and also your loyalty to the Hotel over the years! It’s great to read the comments about the Hotel, service and convenience to all things that are located around. I am delighted that you take advantage of the Executive Club and the team looks after you well during your visits. Many thanks again and we look forward to seeing you very soon.

Stay well,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My first trip to Bangkok I stayed at the Westin because Im a huge SPG fan and I love points, also I was looking for a property to produce a 50 room meeting, for a client. Getting to the property seemed long, I think I could have walked faster, the traffic is CRAZY. Hint if you have dinner reservations at 8:30 pm off property, leave by 6:30 pm, not joking. now once you enter the property you will notice a very clean welcoming environment and greeted as warmly as any luxury resort in the world. From the front desk staff to the ladies and gentlemen that clean the rooms to emptying the ashtrays they are always smiling and bowing a gracious hello!

For this fast and furious trip, 3 nights I hired a DMC to show me around all over and as much as we could see both daylight as well as evening. This native woman showed me how much she loves her country to me and show me the most amazing, interesting and mystifying historical and cultural sites. Don't wear lace up shoes or expensive socks, you may not wear shoes in many attractions. If you would like more information on this DMC let me know, she was GREAT.

Back to the property, The rooms are spacious and well appointed. I was on club level, as I am always, a perk to my career, and they run a very nice club level and club room. The rooms are designed in mind of real people who travel allot and the beds are yummy! The views from the rooms are all city views and the higher the floor the better the view. I will try to attach photos of the view from my suite, a photo of the Giant Buda and 2 of the floating city/market.

Now the spa, I wanted to pack this tiny masseuse lady in my luggage and take her home, what she did to my back, released 15 years of stress! I booked a 90 min treatment and I not only needed it, but felt like a new person and ready to continue my brief trip in Bangkok before heading to Cape Town, South Africa.

The Westin is smack dab in the middle of the business district, close to bars and late night street nights of markets and FOOD!

Do NOT miss the floating city about an hour outside the city. get your camera batteries charged and prepare the see and learn a new culture and towards to end get ready to EAT, EAT, EAT. I will try to attach a few photos of the couple of attraction not to miss, the only photos I have of the property is of meeting rooms, thus the reason for my visit.

Bangkok is a must see depending on the type of travel, the Westin is a lovely property and you will be treated with great respect and warmth. Travel safe, and enjoy. B

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to club level it's worth every penny if you plan to have meals in private. And al...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to post, along with sharing so much about the City with others, as well as the Hotel experience. It reads like you had a very exciting visit to Bangkok and visited so much of what there is to see and do. Many thanks for also sharing details of the Hotel, services and also the Westin Executive Club. There are many tips with traffic here, and please do let me know personally if you need them, as it can be avoid or alternate efficient options found, if planning done in advance for both single travellers or groups.

Many thanks again for the post.
Charles Jack,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Located just right next to the local LRT, direct opposite a brand new shopping centre. This Westin hotel is certainly for those who love to travel everywhere in Bangkok.

It is so convenience. Only the road leading to hotel is so much congested that sometime really drive you nuts. Trust me, take LRT is definitely a much better choice.

One thing I don't like about this hotel is definitely the floor "splits". Once you get out of the taxi, welcome by the warmest smile of staff, the first thing you always like to see is the check-in counter. Unfortunately, you won't see it until you take a lift up to 7th floor (if my memory didn't fail me). This is rather cumbersome (sorry, to repeat - this is extremely tedious for guest to move up and down).

Staffs at the check-in counter are rather cold-shoulder (they are probably too busy or not in the mood). SPG member check-in counter only manned by one person, despite platinum member waiting like me, other staffs are not coming over to help. Rather surprised, to a Premium SPG hotel standard like Westin, and also to the land of smile.

Upgraded to a suite as part of the SPG Platinum member promotion benefit. Room is huge, but design a bit odd shape. Located among of the buildings, basically there is no good view out of the window, despite I have been staying quite a high floor, so you keep all your curtain on all the time.

Executive lounge is small, food is just average and limited. But staffs are caring. Especially Ms. Jintawee Junmanee, her caring towards guest's need and attentive to details is the plus point during the stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your stay back in June 2012. I am really pleased you enjoyed the Hotel, what we have to offer along with the location in Sukhumvit. I have passed the feedback onto Front Office, and I am sorry that you has some challenges, though delighted we upgraded you to a Suite. As we are located in City Centre, sometimes the traffic is unavoidable but I am delighted you took advantage of the other options available at peak times. Do let me know if you are returning, as we would be delighted to welcome you back and ensure you have a great stay.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I enjoyed staying in this hotel for a week while I was on business trip to Bangkok. Hotel is located at heart of the city; this brings you easy access to main business centres, offices and major companies and obviously a bit of traffic jams which is typical of Bangkok. At the same time hotel benefit from having Robinsons department stores on same tower, and MC Donald and nice Argentinean Steak house next to hotel.

I must admit hotel entrance and lobby is not so convenient as you have to change two lifts to get to your room but this can go with other good things.

I stayed in Executive clubroom, you will have club access on 24th floor that don’t think gives you much difference but higher floors, free internet in your room were main advantages for me but not club access as always arrived last so they clean the snacks, etc. ! ☺

Breakfast served at main restaurant is good but with a bit more Asian/oriental preference than continental, but still cant complain.

They also server buffet lunch which I think a bit over priced compare to what you can eat outside considering kind of food served.

Rooms are very clean and well maintained with very comfortable bed and different choice of pillows!

Bathroom is nice, big and clean with separate bathtub and shower, several towels, Toilet only equipped with toilet paper not toilet shower.

Good things is my room had room control panel next to your bed which allows you to turn on and off all lights, control A/C which is very handy in the middle of the night if you need to adjust you’re room A/C.

Overall for the price you pay, I believe you get good service and great room, which makes it good value for money.

Room Tip: Maybe room in higher floors better !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for your comments and I appreciate the feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the comments on the experience of the room, the service and value – it is great to read. I am also pleased too that you took advantage of the extra offerings of Westin Executive Club by reserving an Executive Club room. I agree that there is so much to see and do around the Hotel, and thank you very much for share the tips with others. We look forward any opportunity of welcoming you back, if and when the opportunity does arise.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We literally had 24 hours in Bangkok while staying here and the concierge was very good in helping us plan what to do -- down to the clothes that we needed to wear to go to the Grand Palace. The location cannot be beat! It's right on the skytrain line and near so many malls, restaurants, and even a Starbucks.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your 24 hour experience in Bangkok – I appreciate the feedback and very pleased you and your family had a great time. I do hope you have an opportunity to visit again and stay with us, to explore more of what this wonderful City has to offer.

Kind regards, Charles Jack
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Can there be a better location in Sukhumvit ? Certainly not. Right next to the new Shopping mall Terminal 21, at the entrance of Asoke train station, on top of the Robinson Departmental Store, and in the heart of the entertainment area, the Westin is at the best possible location.
Among the many things I liked - A generous supply of bottled water; not the stingy two bottles a day one finds in other hotels. I like the Zest bar with a ringside view of Sukhumvit (see pictures). Wifi is free (depends on your room package). A decent range of wine glasses in the room added a personal touch.
I found the two elevator ride to my room a bit of a chore. Also the rooms display minor signs of ageing and housekeeping can be stepped up. The Vareena spa offered an ordinary experience and I prefer the delightful Grande Spa just across at the Sheraton Grande hotel.
This is a lovely hotel, however, it is tough to compete with the likes of Sofitel and Sheraton Grande, both within 50 meters from Westin and the price is marginally higher. For travellers in this category its really one of the three to choose from.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Sukhumvit road offer a better view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post, and it’s great you enjoyed your overall stay and found the Hotel in the best possible location. Thanks too for all the other feedback and comments about your stay. I do appreciate you also sharing some candid images of the Hotel and the area – this is great also. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the not too distant future.

With thanks,
Charles Jack

Been to The Westin Grande Sukhumvit? Share your experiences!