“Wonderful hotel with style and serenity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sukhothai Bangkok

You added The Sukhothai Bangkok to your Saves list
The Sukhothai Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 / 3 South Sathorn Road | Thungmahamek, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #20 of 768 Hotels in Bangkok
Newport Beach, California
“Wonderful hotel with style and serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My partner and I recently returned from a 2 week holiday in Indonesia, after which we had a 2 night stay in Bangkok on our way home to the USA. (For reference, we stayed at Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amanwana, and Amanusa while in Indonesia--feel free to see reviews.) Typically, we have stayed in suites at Four Seasons, Ritz Carleton, Mandarin Oriental, and comparable properties, particularly when in cities. We found the Sukhothai to be absolutely sensational--beautiful property, extraordinary service, great style, and a nice suite. Its location off the river was not an issue at all for me, even though it was my first visit to Bangkok; I enjoyed its quiet location.

The hotel's public spaces really are amazing. I like a contemporary sensibility, so the Sukhothai really impressed me. The decor was a very clean, contemporary interpretation of Thai style, and I found it elegant and impressive while not being busy or gauche. The bar area, and the outside bar area, in particular, I thought were truly spectacular. The lobby and other spaces really made me feel like I was in an oasis.

Our suite was wonderfully sized--a nice entry hallway with bath, a nicely sized living room, and nicely sized bedroom, and a quite large bathroom. We overlooked the lovely courtyard below. The A/C worked VERY well, which I absolutely require to be comfortable--I must have had it near 15 C at most! My only issue at all with our stay was the decor in the room, particularly in the big bathroom, was a little too "Vegas" for my taste, due in large part because of the large number of mirrors. Otherwise, we were very, very happy with our room.

Service was extraordinary. I hadn't even brought a pair or pants having spent 2 weeks in hot and humid Indonesia, so I didn't bother even though we had 2 nights in Bangkok. The hotel was very gracious in this regard, even though I was a bit underdressed compared to the rest of the guests I saw. I asked if it would be OK, and everyone was quick to say I would be fine. All in all, I felt quite comfortable. We also had an A/C problem in the Italian restaurant on our 2nd night, and since I got too hot, I asked if they could move our meal back to our room--which they did without hesitation. I had expected them to offer us a discount on the meal because of the disruption, but that never happened. When I asked about that at the front desk the following morning, the representative was only too happy to give us a 25% discount because of the hassle. With every request, we found the hotel staff to be wonderfully gracious and accommodating.

Dining was wonderful, as well. Despite the glitch with the A/C in the Italian restaurant I mentioned above, we were very pleased with our dining experiences at the hotel. Since I didn't want to deal with the heat, we ate most meals at the hotel (except for lunch at the Peninsula and high tea at the Oriental, see below). Our 1st night we dined at the Thai restaurant, and its decor was lovely, and our meals were excellent. The breakfast buffet at the Sokhothai might be the most impressive spread we've seen in a decade (perhaps equaliing or surpassing the St. Regis Monarch Beach near us in California that we last enjoyed almost 10 years ago). It was set out in perfect fashion, with each item being clearly labeled so there was no confusion. They had almost everything, too, that we could want. And our last dinner, at the Italian restaurant, was great food. It was a shame we had to move, in fact, because we loved the atmosphere of the place the most!

For fun, we had also toured around the Peninsula where we also had lunch, and similarly toured around the Oriental where we had afternoon tea. Both hotels were very gracious in offering us a chance to see their suites so we could compare them to the Sukhothai for future visits to Bangkok. The Peninsula shares a similar contemporary sensibility that we both enjoy, though I still might prefer the Sukhothai because of its size, because its not a chain hotel, etc. My partner, if we return to Bangkok, would likely prefer the Peninsula simply because he loved the river views and just being close tot the river. We leave it to you to ascertain what might be a bigger priority for you. As for the Oriental, we could only see a junior suite, but that was enough--the design sensibility of the hotel just isn't for us at all. The service was extraordinary, as expected, and I'm sure the Oriental offers a great stay. But we didn't like it. Too formal for us, too proper, too gauche in its design, etc. On the other hand, it was obvious that the Oriental was almost full, whereas the Peninsul and Sukhothai clearly had far more rooms/suites available--which does say something, I suppose! Still, for the same money, I'll take the Sukhothai or the Peninsula. And the Oriental not surprisingly cost significantly more.

Bangkok was also a surprise. What a wonderful city. We expected a dirty, pollution-ridden city with ridiculous heat and humidity. Instead, we just found the ridiculous heat and humidity! We found Bangkok to be a very friendly, enchanting city, massive in some ways and neighborhood-y feeling in others. Great shopping, lovely temples, and a big city all mixed together. We felt very safe, too.

If we were to return to Bangkok, we would be thrilled to stay at the Sukhothai again. if it were my choice, it would be the Sukhothai for sure. If I take my partner's interest in river views, though, we might consider the Peninsula. Both are worthy choices and less expensive options to the Oriental, even though we can afford it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

We spent a few nights in Bangkok after our Phuket trip and really enjoyed our stay at the Sukhothai Bangkok. This is our first time there but more than 10 times in Bangkok 5 stars hotel. The Sukhothai is second to none. Though the location is not in the heart of Bangkok's shopping and eating places, we are more than happy to spend a great amount of time there. If you visit Bangkok and have never stayed at the Sukhothai, give it a try and you won't disappoint. We'll certainly be back again next year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

The Sukhothai is gorgeous and easily the most stylishly appointed hotel in Bgk. Their breakfast buffet is the best I've experienced .... about 5 different types of fresh juice (coconut, guava, mango, passionfruit and amazing orange, OMG!) and something new everyday. Of course every type of food and pastry you can imagine. Rooms are serene. all overlooking the water-garden courtyard, bathrooms are luxe and the pool is large, discreet and has endless lounges. Didn't take full advantage of the spa (just haircut, nails and waxing but all very well done). Staff is superior (like everywhere in Bgk) and basically this place is worth every penny. Enjoy!
This is my favorite hotel in Bangkok. If it were located in Sukhumvit it would be perfect. H/ever Sathorn is a very good location 1 block from the MRT. The Skytrain is around there somewhere too although didn't use it from this particular spot.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

The Sukhothai is a hotel par excellence. It epitomises what south east asian hospitality is famous for. Attentive discreet service, spacious rooms, beautiful luxurious bathrooms and amenites. The breakfast is one of the best I have ever eaten. The Sunday Brunch is a gourmet delight. All I can say that I cannot find any fault in this hotel!

Stayed September 2007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed at The Sukhothai for 4 nights over the Easter Weekend (which co-incided with the Song Kran Festival). This place delivers a wonderful experience by matching wonderful attentive service to match the timeless and elegant decor and it is the attention to detail in both that makes this hotel so special. The room we had was an Executive Suite which is an open plan suite with an intelligently planned layout which feels like a luxury Thai residence rather than just another hotel room that could be in any hotel, anywhere in the world. The hotel is set in beautifully manicured gardens with many water features. Which provides beautiful settings for the restaurants. We dined in their buffet restaurant for breakfast (and always managed to get a seat over looking the water) and their Thai Restaurant - Celadon, which serves delicious and flavoursome Thai food with out "dumbing down" the dishes for foreigners (farang). Concierge was super helpful and made some really great recommendations for us for dinners and things to do and see. They were also very helpful with dealing with the dreadful taxi drivers, who I believe can qualify for being the worst in the WORLD. The reason they are so bad is because they ALWAYS try to rip you off.
The Sukhothai's location is very good because you can nip next door to the roof top bar at the Banyon Tree (not a good Banyon Tree property - it would have been OK in it's day but now it's just a bit blah), The Metropolitan is also in the neighbourhood and as much as it is new and ticks boxes for modern luxury design, I found it a little souless when we went to try out their spa. It looks like an office block (which works for The Mondrian LA and St Martins Lane London) but just doesn't have the class or quality experience of the Sukhothai.
Finally, the pool area is knockout and health club is also first rate.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
near Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

A regular business traveller to Bangkok, this was my fourth or fifth stay at the Sukhothai in the last 18 months. Before meeting with the General Manager on the day of my departure, I thought long and hard about what needed improvement. The answer: nothing! As far as I'm concerned, the Sukhothai has established the absolute pinnacle of perfection in Bangkok hotels.

Let's start at the airport. We had arranged in advance a very reasonable airport pickup. We were met just after Customs by a uniformed Sukhothai staff member who took charge of our baggage trolleys and escorted us the 50m directly to the curbside Mercedes E320 waiting for us (ask for chauffeur "Charlie"). The car was brand-new (as is their fleet of hotel cars) and we were given iced towels scented with lemongrass and chilled bottles of mineral water. A painless 40-minute trip into town, and we arrived at the property.

The Sukhothai is a smaller, older property - a low-rise, with perhaps 6 or 7 floors only. It is definitely not a mega-hotel. This means that all the staff, from the doormen to the waitresses and managers, remember you *by name* and give you a welcome that is warm, genuine, and makes you feel like "home".

The front desk staff are highly professional, and check-in is quick and painless.

Rooms: I've stayed in everything from a "standard" to a "mini-studio" (and have had friends stay in one of their suites). Even a "standard" room with a less-than-perfect view is head-and-shoulders above anything else I've come across in Asia (and indeed in most of the rest of the world). King-sized bed, excellent mattress, top-quality bed linens... Decent sized desk with wired and wireless internet (at a typical USD 25 per day, more on that later). Fully stocked minibar. Flat screen LCD TV. Air conditioning that WORKS (important, as the heat index was +43C when we were there). Bathroom with separate toilet, large shower, and independent bath (tub) complete with rubber duckie should you want company. Excellent amenities. A mountain of huge bath towels, changed regularly during the day. The room was spotlessly clean. Room doors have electronic keys, deadbolts, chains and peepholes.

Laundry and dry cleaning was fast and efficient and beautifully presented wrapped in tissue paper, delivered in a silk box.

Room service was equally fast and efficient. I didn't eat in the room on this trip (but have done so in the past). The menu is varied and well-prepared and service is fast and accurate.

Food & Beverage:
The breakfast (buffet style, with made-to-order eggs) is served in the Collonade restaurant and is expansive and caters to Western, Japanese and other Asian tastes. The quality is outstanding. Coffee is prepared to order from a real coffee machine - not served from old pots. A variety of freshly prepared fruit juices, plus a "smoothie of the day" can be whipped up for you. Budget enough time for your meal: you'll want to eat a lot, so don't rush out the door to get to your meeting too early.
Celadon: high-end Thai cuisine. The quality and service were very good, but I'd recommend walking down the street a few hunded meters and dine instead at Baan Khanitaa if you want a larger menu and the same quality. Celadon is quiet and elegant whereas Baan Khanitaa is crowded and noisy - depends on your mood.
La Scala: very high-end Tuscan Italian food. The quality was tip-top but I found the value-for-price argument weak.
Poolside Restaurant: surprising varied, tasty, inexpensive all-day menu! There's both an outside and inside (airconditioned) section.
Zuk Bar: nice for cocktails and after-dinner drinks. They've just opened an "al fresco" terrace with comfy sofas to sit on - oscillating wall fans to keep the temperature and bugs down.

Spa facilities: there is a full spa with a huge selection of different spa treatments, massages, etc. Manicure and pedicure are also available. Unfortunately, there's no hair salon in the hotel.

Other notes: During my stay, there was an Executive Programme promotion which, for THB 1,000 (USD 28) per day, gave you unlimited wired/wireless internet, 3 pieces of laundry or dry cleaning per day, plus complimentary cocktails (open menu) at the Zuk Bar from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Considering that Internet alone is almost $20 a day, this was an easy decision to take. For some room rates, breakfast isn't included. The Exec Prog Plus adds on the fantastic breakfast buffet for just a few Baht more.

You can get an electronically distributed version of more than 800 world newspapers delivered to your room for a reasonable price. It had been quite a few months since I had seen the LA Times and that was a treat for me!

Security is fine at the hotel (and fine in Bangkok in general). No unsavoury characters in the hotel nor loitering around the grounds. Metered taxis are available through the doorman with a typical wait of about 90 seconds.

The concierges are extremely knowledgeable and are able to secure reservations instantly, even at high-draw locations (e.g. Vertigo at the Banyan Tree).

The General Manager is accessible to all guests and has some marvelous stories to tell about the hotel business in the region (he is an old Asia hand of many, many years).

Finally: this is a 5-star hotel competing with the likes of the Oriental. As such, it's not really targetted to families with small children. There is a lovely swimming pool, but there aren't other kids' facilities, kids' menus, etc. Thai people LOVE children so there is no problem in that respect, but if you are travelling with a younger family, you may be happier in a mega-hotel that has specific activities catering to young ones.

None of these above notes do the property justice. Each time I come back to The Sukhothai, I see familiar faces from the moment I step in. All the staff are really happy to see me and welcome me back as a valued guest and friend.

Summary: this is a real jewel of a hotel - quiet, off the main road, peaceful, elegant, warmly accommodating. I am counting the days until I can come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My third stay here in 4 years, its an oasis of calm in the middle of Bangkok. With a maximum of 9 floors in only part of the building this is not your usual skyscraper hotel. The staff are excellent and efficient and always pleasant. Excellent breakfast in the Colonnade and the Celadon restaurant consitstantly delivers some of best Thai food around. Rooms are spacious, clean and beautifiully equipped.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Sukhothai Bangkok? Share your experiences!