“Absolute perfection - the Sukhothai is bliss.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sukhothai Bangkok

You added The Sukhothai Bangkok to your Saves list
The Sukhothai Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 / 3 South Sathorn Road | Thungmahamek, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #31 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
near Geneva, Switzerland
“Absolute perfection - the Sukhothai is bliss.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

A regular business traveller to Bangkok, this was my fourth or fifth stay at the Sukhothai in the last 18 months. Before meeting with the General Manager on the day of my departure, I thought long and hard about what needed improvement. The answer: nothing! As far as I'm concerned, the Sukhothai has established the absolute pinnacle of perfection in Bangkok hotels.

Let's start at the airport. We had arranged in advance a very reasonable airport pickup. We were met just after Customs by a uniformed Sukhothai staff member who took charge of our baggage trolleys and escorted us the 50m directly to the curbside Mercedes E320 waiting for us (ask for chauffeur "Charlie"). The car was brand-new (as is their fleet of hotel cars) and we were given iced towels scented with lemongrass and chilled bottles of mineral water. A painless 40-minute trip into town, and we arrived at the property.

The Sukhothai is a smaller, older property - a low-rise, with perhaps 6 or 7 floors only. It is definitely not a mega-hotel. This means that all the staff, from the doormen to the waitresses and managers, remember you *by name* and give you a welcome that is warm, genuine, and makes you feel like "home".

The front desk staff are highly professional, and check-in is quick and painless.

Rooms: I've stayed in everything from a "standard" to a "mini-studio" (and have had friends stay in one of their suites). Even a "standard" room with a less-than-perfect view is head-and-shoulders above anything else I've come across in Asia (and indeed in most of the rest of the world). King-sized bed, excellent mattress, top-quality bed linens... Decent sized desk with wired and wireless internet (at a typical USD 25 per day, more on that later). Fully stocked minibar. Flat screen LCD TV. Air conditioning that WORKS (important, as the heat index was +43C when we were there). Bathroom with separate toilet, large shower, and independent bath (tub) complete with rubber duckie should you want company. Excellent amenities. A mountain of huge bath towels, changed regularly during the day. The room was spotlessly clean. Room doors have electronic keys, deadbolts, chains and peepholes.

Laundry and dry cleaning was fast and efficient and beautifully presented wrapped in tissue paper, delivered in a silk box.

Room service was equally fast and efficient. I didn't eat in the room on this trip (but have done so in the past). The menu is varied and well-prepared and service is fast and accurate.

Food & Beverage:
The breakfast (buffet style, with made-to-order eggs) is served in the Collonade restaurant and is expansive and caters to Western, Japanese and other Asian tastes. The quality is outstanding. Coffee is prepared to order from a real coffee machine - not served from old pots. A variety of freshly prepared fruit juices, plus a "smoothie of the day" can be whipped up for you. Budget enough time for your meal: you'll want to eat a lot, so don't rush out the door to get to your meeting too early.
Celadon: high-end Thai cuisine. The quality and service were very good, but I'd recommend walking down the street a few hunded meters and dine instead at Baan Khanitaa if you want a larger menu and the same quality. Celadon is quiet and elegant whereas Baan Khanitaa is crowded and noisy - depends on your mood.
La Scala: very high-end Tuscan Italian food. The quality was tip-top but I found the value-for-price argument weak.
Poolside Restaurant: surprising varied, tasty, inexpensive all-day menu! There's both an outside and inside (airconditioned) section.
Zuk Bar: nice for cocktails and after-dinner drinks. They've just opened an "al fresco" terrace with comfy sofas to sit on - oscillating wall fans to keep the temperature and bugs down.

Spa facilities: there is a full spa with a huge selection of different spa treatments, massages, etc. Manicure and pedicure are also available. Unfortunately, there's no hair salon in the hotel.

Other notes: During my stay, there was an Executive Programme promotion which, for THB 1,000 (USD 28) per day, gave you unlimited wired/wireless internet, 3 pieces of laundry or dry cleaning per day, plus complimentary cocktails (open menu) at the Zuk Bar from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Considering that Internet alone is almost $20 a day, this was an easy decision to take. For some room rates, breakfast isn't included. The Exec Prog Plus adds on the fantastic breakfast buffet for just a few Baht more.

You can get an electronically distributed version of more than 800 world newspapers delivered to your room for a reasonable price. It had been quite a few months since I had seen the LA Times and that was a treat for me!

Security is fine at the hotel (and fine in Bangkok in general). No unsavoury characters in the hotel nor loitering around the grounds. Metered taxis are available through the doorman with a typical wait of about 90 seconds.

The concierges are extremely knowledgeable and are able to secure reservations instantly, even at high-draw locations (e.g. Vertigo at the Banyan Tree).

The General Manager is accessible to all guests and has some marvelous stories to tell about the hotel business in the region (he is an old Asia hand of many, many years).

Finally: this is a 5-star hotel competing with the likes of the Oriental. As such, it's not really targetted to families with small children. There is a lovely swimming pool, but there aren't other kids' facilities, kids' menus, etc. Thai people LOVE children so there is no problem in that respect, but if you are travelling with a younger family, you may be happier in a mega-hotel that has specific activities catering to young ones.

None of these above notes do the property justice. Each time I come back to The Sukhothai, I see familiar faces from the moment I step in. All the staff are really happy to see me and welcome me back as a valued guest and friend.

Summary: this is a real jewel of a hotel - quiet, off the main road, peaceful, elegant, warmly accommodating. I am counting the days until I can come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My third stay here in 4 years, its an oasis of calm in the middle of Bangkok. With a maximum of 9 floors in only part of the building this is not your usual skyscraper hotel. The staff are excellent and efficient and always pleasant. Excellent breakfast in the Colonnade and the Celadon restaurant consitstantly delivers some of best Thai food around. Rooms are spacious, clean and beautifiully equipped.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

My wife, baby and I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights over Chinese New Year (late January 2009). We really enjoyed our stay. On arrival, we were immediately escorted out of the cab to our room, where the check-in was done in the room. The service and bags were brought to our room flawlessly.

The room itself was large and extremely comfortable, with a generously sized bathroom. The room itself was not entirely modern, but was clean and well maintained (except for the wall relief murals, which my baby daughter tried to eat and were dusty). The view was over the inner courtyard, which would have been absolutely stunning were they not doing some renovations to the pool on our near side. There were so many thoughtful touches in the room - pillows of every shape and fragrance available, bottled water everywhere, complimentary dried strawberries and such, which were delicious, and some very tasty oranges to celebrate the new year. Sheets were pristine and the bed was large and very comfortable. Air and light switches were conveniently accessed from the bedside. The big tub was lovely, as was the walk in shower.

We spent a fair amount of time in the hotel, and the Thai restaurant is very good, although not quite as amazing as when I first went with my wife 5 years ago (at the time we thought it was the best Thai food we'd ever had, and now it was just very good).

I have to say though that if you are in Bangkok on a Sunday, you'll need to ask yourself why you are not eating at the Colonnade restaurant for their brunch buffet. It is simply the most spectacular buffet I've ever seen or eaten, and I'm not usually even a fan of buffets. The quality of the food was incredible, as was the variety.

The Zuk bar was also a very cool place to hang out in the evenings, with one seating area that appeared suspended over a large pool. Loved their bloody marys!

For the mornings, the Colonnade had a lovely spread for breakfast, but if you wanted something lighter you can grab a coffee and croissant or pastry at Thinian, the very pleasant wine and cake shop near the elevators. We also went out to Crepes and Co one morning off Sukhumvit for variety (also very nice). They also serve a la carte breakfasts by the poolside terrace.

The pool was large and easy to do laps in, unlike many other SE Asian hotels where the pools are contorted into funny shapes that make them difficult to actually do any exercise in. There was enough room that I could take my baby daughter swimming (not to worry, she had her watertight swimming diapers on) despite the fact that there was no kiddie pool. The steam room was wonderful afterwards, as was the jacuzzi and sauna. The latter features in the health club were all divided into male and female sections.

The gym was quite nice, and well equipped although perhaps slightly dated, but the service was wonderful (water and towels on arrival) and the trainers are on hand to give you any tips needed about the equipment. Also, if you go running and get up a little bit early, go to Lumphini Park, which is just a few steps away from the hotel - there is a 2.5 km track through the park that is flat and very pleasant to run on.

The concierge was also wonderful about making recommendations and bookings at restaurants all over town, as well as suggestions on where to shop or other arrangements. They were as good as any concierge service anywhere in the world.

I thought the location of the hotel was good (Baan Khanitha, a good Thai restaurant, was also a close walk, as was the Vertigo Bar at the Banyan Tree) but you give up being near any major shopping areas by staying in the Embassy district over the Sukhumvit or Erawan areas. Still, I would definitely stay at the Sukhothai again. The whole experience was wonderful, and it seems to me (we managed to stay at well under US$150 a night) that while the hotel is obviously subject to supply and demand issues in Bangkok, especially with the recent airport troubles, the property is fundamentally mispriced - it is way cheaper than any comparable experience almost anywhere else in the world, including nearby Malaysia.

• Liked — Large rooms, lovely service, wonderful food
  • Disliked — Slightly out of the way for shopping or tourist sights, but plenty to do on-site
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed in an executive suite 3 nights. The room didn´t have any view (I had requested a pool view, but got a delivery entrance view with a glimpse of the pool parasols). This was ok though, as we didn´t spend much time in the room and the windows have good soundproofing. I recommend booking a garden view room instead.

The executive suite was nice, very traditionally Thai. The sitting area was furnished with very hard and uncomfortable sofas and chairs, so we didn´t sit there even once. Bed was very comfortable with down pillows by request. Lighting in the bathroom was poor. I needed to go to the window to put on my makeup. Shower feels dated with a very simple shower head. I would have expected better.

What impressed me at this hotel was the high level of housekeeping. Turndown service was absolutely lovely. Every detal was taken care of.

Breakfast was not included in the price and costs 900Baht per person. So make sure you book B&B!

We had lunch and coffee by the pool and it was very overpriced. It was more expensive than i Europe, which is rediculous considering the low cost of labor alone! I was not impressed with the service either. Stay clear of the restaurants, if you are not prepared to pay a fortune. No wonder the restaurants were always empty!

We asked for airport transfer one day before we were leaving, which was not reserved for us when we checked out. This was no problem though, as there were cars on stand-by. They had staff waiting to help us with luggage and check-in at the airport. Very nice touch.

Overall, I found the hotel to be satisfactory. Nevertheless, I will try a trendier hotel on my next stay in Bangkok.

• Liked — turndown service
  • Disliked — overpriced food & beverage
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Sukhothai was meant to be our arrival and departure point, on a two-week quest across Thailand (in the time stretch right after the airport blockade due to political turmoil). And, as for my personal opinion, we should have just stayed there for 2 weeks, without ever leaving the premises. Well, maybe not -- but no one, and I mean it, can imagine how glad I was to return there after roughly a week of "discovering".

First of all, the hotel was very quiet. There were people there, but you did not have to see them if you chose not to. The rooms were impeccable, squeaky clean without being squeaky, and I have a suspicion that our bed was made up three times a week.

Room had everything my heart desired -- courtyard view, gi-normous (I know I know, but the word "gigantic" doesn't do it justice!) bed, with even bigger pillows, armchair and footrest (detail often overlooked, but very important). His and hers wardrobes, bathrobes, slippers, supply of local organic dry fruit and bottled water, and wooden shades (most friendly feature for jet-laggers).

Bathroom. Bathroom in itself could be the reason of my new dream to become this hotel's mascot of some kind. A 6 ft bathtub, a separate shower room and a separate toilet room, and mirrors...All the time and everywhere...The perfect infinity reflection of pure indulgence. The only thing missing would be a subtle jazz band in the background, the rest was there. Shampoo, shower gel and body lotion is provided, along with toothbrushes, and a hair dryer. And, for the ladies reading this -- do not underestimate their lotion -- it had a full-on win over Nivea moisturisers in Thai climate!

Swimming pool was nice and spacious, and non-chlorine-ridden. And the food from pool bar was unexpectedly good.

Hotel boasts 3 separate restaurants, all worth a dinner in. If, when you visit, the oyster special is still going on -- make sure to go for it, it was fantastic -- 6 types of oysters and the "ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT" option on those. For price-savvy, do not go for Champagne, opt for Italian sparkling -- goes just as well for half the price. Zak bar (by the inner courtyard) has a selection of cigars, and Santori whisky from "Lost in Translation".

As a must, even if not staying in Sukhothai, go to the Thai restaurant there -- supposedly the best Thai food in town. From all the places we've eaten at in Thailand, I can only confirm this as truancy.

And, of course, the Spa. A bit pricey, but well worth the money. Consider it a once-in-a-lifetime chance for a waxing that not only is pain-free, but brings you pleasure unbeknown to western women. For those of you who think I am rambling -- you had to be there!

That it all I could think of saying, and I truly hope your stay in Sukhothai will be at least as good as mine, if not better!

• Liked — Spacious, clean and refined
  • Disliked — There was no music player of some kind
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Amazing hotel, service, and food. Can't say enough about this hotel. From the moment you walk through the front door, there are people at your service to help with dinner reservations, shopping suggestions, and much more. My husband and I stayed here for a night during our honeymoon (some friends stayed here for theirs and bought us a night as a treat) and couldn't have been happier with the choice. It's situated near the subway line and was easy to get around all of the main areas of Bangkok. We ate at the Thai restaurant downstairs and found it to be delicious. Too bad we can't stay here longer- we could definitely get used to living like kings and queens :)

• Liked — the bed linens, service, and the food
  • Disliked — Wifi internet costs $20/day. The hotel is already very expensive, they should just throw it in.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

We stayed at sukhothai hotel bangkok on Feb 2007....
Everything was nice ..hotel staff have a good service and friendly .

we stayed at Deluxe Suite . suites incorporate rich Thai fabrics, teakwood furnishings, impeccable detailing and luxurious bathrooms.

These suites are 76 sq. metres with a separate bedroom and a living room with two Thai-style sofas divided by a wall with a set of double teak doors. A stand-alone writing desk

bathroom with teakwood floor is enhanced further by mirrors on every wall and a silk covered chaise lounge in the centre of the floor. There are two sinks and an oversized bathtub, separate shower and toilet enclosures, two separate walk-in closets, bathrobes, hair dryer, phone and luxurious toiletries

at night we ate dinner in room , all food was delicious^^
and morning breakfast also lovely.There have a lot of food !!

Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed

• Liked — Suit room and Bathroom !!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Sukhothai Bangkok? Share your experiences!