“A Welcome Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sukhothai Bangkok

You added The Sukhothai Bangkok to your Saves list
The Sukhothai Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 / 3 South Sathorn Road | Thungmahamek, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #29 of 776 Hotels in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Evanston, Illinois
“A Welcome Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at The Sukhothai Bangkok recently as a prelude to our trip to Bhutan and Myanmar. The reason we picked this hotel was so that we can relax after the long flight from Chicago. And did we ever relax. We had a very quiet room. The decor was inviting.The staff was very helpful, the breakfast was everything you wanted, both Asian and Western foods, the location was close to attractions, and the spa had massages that did wonders to work out the kinks from our flight. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a very quiet room towards the back.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments. Delighted you felt comfortable in our room and that you were impressed with the decoration, a variety of our breakfast and the treatment from Spa Botanica. We hope in the near future we would have the chance to welcome you back again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I came here with my girlfriend as a first trip to Bangkok. The hotel was fabulous and it was a lovely respite from the somewhat polluted Bangkok. Don't get me wrong, I've been a few places in the world and the hotel can sometime make or break a holiday and this one definitely made it. I've read the other reviews I agree totally with everything they've said...secluded, lovely bathroom, pool, excellent service etc. After one day of exploring Bangkok and getting ripped off by taxi/tuk tuk drivers and shop keepers alike (I know, its Bangkok!!) we sat in the bar and had a couple of Singha beers - Lovely bar too but after the day, the beer prices were almost 5 times what I would get outside the hotel!!
I know I'm really to paying for the lovely decor and fully attentive staff but it was just another way of squeezing the stupid tourist. I know things are all relative and in comparison to London and its cheap but....we're not in London. Also the room service prices I thought was were quite steep especially the local dishes...western food I understood but Pad Thai....surely that's a more 'staple' order. Don't get me wrong, I'm griping on a few issues but I thought it worth saying.
On the other hand the breakfast was AMAZING and you could have had every breakfast alternative under the sun. The pool was great and the staff was fantastic. Do stay here - without doubt - there are some nice restaurants nearby and you are right next to the Banyan Tree roof bar (a must if it’s your first time). There is also the ping pong bars of Patpong Road literally 15 mins walk away but when you're at the hotel it feels a million miles away - the immediate area is definitely not seedy (so don’t worry) as you're surrounded by a number of the major embassies. Good walking distance to the sky train (approx. 10 mins walk) and you can get to the river from there if you wish (which we did). This place is an oasis of calm for anyone with a solid standard of excellence.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a very long way from the reception and breakfast halls. Might be worth asking...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of The Sukhothai Bangkok, we thank you for this review. We are glad to be your choice of hotel on your 1st experience in Bangkok. Delighted you enjoyed the atmosphere of our property along with the facilities within the property. We hope on your next trip to Bangkok we would have the chance to welcome you back here again.

Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just returned from a 2-night stay in the Sukhothai. The hotel is inconspicously tucked away from the main road and is surprisingly quiet despite fairly near the busy road. Hotel staff are extremely courteous and always helpful and make you feel important to them. A one-to-one hotel staff will escort you to the room and explain to you the amenities and facilities offered to its guests. A stayed on the 4th floor in a standard room which faces the court yard with its pool. The room is clean, comfortable with a big double bed enough for 3 adults to sleep comfortably. Pillows are aplenty with a choice of the type you wish for from a pillow menu. A working table with an array of electrical adaptors for different devices is available. Internet in the room is free and of decent speed even when watching HD on You Tube. The bathroom is well designed and there is a deep, long bath to soak your tired body and legs after your shopping. My room has a coffee making machine with a fair selection of quality coffee powder in air-tight capsule. I did not use the gymn or swimming pool. The subway MRT (Lumphini station) is just about 8 min walk from the hotel. From here you can take the subway to Sukhumvit station (3 stations away) for 20 BHT. From Sukhumvit station you can take the BTS to almost anywhere within the city. Breakfast is standard with Japanese and a bit of local fares (Dim sum, noodles) and European pastries. You are welcomed by your name if you happen to stay for more than 1 night! I was impressed by this as I believe no other hotel does that. I want to single out Ms Yim whom I think is the restaurant captain on the 6th and 7th Aug mornings when I had breakfast at the Colonnade. Overall the hotel has a life of its own uniqueness though some reviewers may not agree to it. Definitely worth every BHT of your stay at the Sukhothai.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us feedback, it’s always pleasing to hear you thoroughly enjoyed our accommodations as well as in-room facilities. Your compliment on our staff will be reached out to the team. We hope in the near future we would have the chance to welcome you back again.

Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed in here on business purpose. The moment I stepped in to the lobby, guest relation only asked my name and escort me directly to our room while explaining the hotel facility. The checked-in process all done in my room. One more thing the bell boy refused the tips I gave. This process quite impress me, compare to other hotels they will only gave your rooms keys and offer staff to carry your luggage into the room.
I stayed in standard room, but the facility more than other standard room in other hotel. The room was very convenient, bathroom quite large with bath tub, shower and toilet in a separate room. Every room was given wifi password (free), universal charger, fresh fruit and chocolate everyday.
But not like the room, the breakfast list menu in overall is standard. During my 3 days stay, all menus were the same.
In term of location, for those who plan to have great shopping experience had to hold their breath, because there are none shopping arcade located by walking distance. But you can always ask the door man to find you a cab.
Over all, I truly enjoyed the service and hotel environment and looking forward to do re-visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of The Sukhothai Bangkok, we thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We are pleased to learn that you were impressed with our check-in process and our accommodation facility met your expectation. Your comments on breakfast list menu will be addressed for improvement. We certainly look forward to your return.

Hotel Manager.
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I've been a guest at the Sukhothai Bangkok many times and I'm always happy to go again. Nice location, friendly reception, very comfortable rooms (with toilet covers that almost talk to you) and unforgettable food. The pool facilities are amazing and you can have delicious meals right there, while you enjoy the sun, the warm water and champagne. One thing about marks me very much about the Sukhothai: its decoration! It is so chic, so classic and modern at the same time. Even if you don't stay there, go and visit, have a tea and you'll love it! One last thing: if you leave very early in the morning, they provide you a marvelous breakfast box!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

On behalf of The Sukhothai Bangkok, thank you for your feedback. It’s always a pleasure to welcome returning guests. Delighted you felt comfortable in our rooms and that you were impressed with the food here along with the pool facilities. We highly appreciate your recommendation and compliments in regards to our décor. In the near future we hope to see you soon.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stay in many hotels on business throughout the year and this is always the best. None come to mind that match the understated comfort of the rooms, the peacefulness of the hotel, and the high quality staff.

Room Tip: Insist on staying in the main building. I prefer the view from deluxe rooms to a suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of The Sukhothai Bangkok, thank you for your kind compliments. We are delighted to learn that you were impressed your stay with us and your acknowledgments on our accommodation and service is highly appreciated. We hope that on your next trip to Bangkok we would have the chance to welcome you again.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had to cancel my reservation due to a last minute flight cancellation and when I called to cancel, I was told that I'd have to pay anyway. Understandable, since I was past the 24 hour limit. I called back to make a new reservation when my new flight details were confirmed and due to the early arrival of my flight, I needed early checkin. I was continually pressured to pay for an extra night to guarantee early checkin and it wasn't until I threatened to hang up that the guarantee was given. This left me with a bitter taste. Next time through Bangkok, I'll try a different hotel and hope for a better experience.

Room Tip: my room faced the courtyard which offered a very pleasant view... the windows open too so it was nic...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Sukhothai Bangkok.

As a well-travelled guest, your comments are very valuable in helping us to maintain a high level of service to our guests. I am disappointed to learn that our Reservation Agent did not extend the flexibility to accommodate your travel plan for early arrival request. Please rest assured that department heads concerned have been briefed to look in to the areas mentioned and that we will certainly do our best to improve in the needed area. On the other hand, I am pleased to learn that you have enjoyed the other aspects of your stay.

This obviously does not change the fact that you were inconvenienced and had an unpleasant service interaction with our team member. We are highly committed to provide you with high quality service. As a gesture of our apologies, the recovery plan details had been communicated to you on a separate email and we hope that you would kindly accept it.

At The Sukhothai Bangkok, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us for our continuous improvement.

Pattama Yoshimura
Hotel Manager

Been to The Sukhothai Bangkok? Share your experiences!