“Simply perfect.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok to your Saves list
Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   27 South Sathorn Road | Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 746 hotels in Bangkok
Sydney, Australia
“Simply perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

The Metropolitan is absolute hotel perfection. The young, funky, good looking staff bend over backwards to help, yet are completely unobtrusive and have none of the stuffy formality of chain five star hotels. They were more than happy to go out and get us tickets to a music festival on the night we arrived and a dinner reservation at Bo Lai the next night. The lobby exudes style with its high ceiling, clean lines and funky house music. (No cheesy piano player singing Sting covers in the corner at this hotel!!). There's free wifi in the lobby too.

Out Metropolitan room was as huge and peaceful as all the other reviews attest. The large bathroom was just beautiful and the amenities really are worth souveniring - it's rare to have such high quality toiletries on offer in hotel bathrooms. We didn't hear a sound from the corridor or neighbouring rooms. Housekeeping do an incredible job on their twice daily visits to the room, replenishing cloud like towels and making the bed with the finest Egyptian cotton sheets I've ever slept between. The bed was extremely comfortable and big enough to get lost on.

Breakfast in Cyan is a definite step up from typical chain hotel buffet mediocrity. There is still a buffet selection of fruits, cold cuts, bircher museli, cereals, yoghurt, bread, pastries and juice while hot dishes which are far more immaginitive than bacon and eggs are ordered a la carte.

The pool area is great. The pool is a good size at 20 metres, drink service is prompt and friendly - try the devine Met Belnd juice; beetroot, passionfruit and carrot - and all the beautiful people in the pool loungers are checking out their wallpaper* or Luxe guides to Bangkok deciding which restaurants and clubs to go to when night falls.

The location is quite convenient. Silom Rd is only a 10 minute walk and there's a metro station 5 minutes away. Of course taxis in Bangkok are plentiful and dirt cheap. Some drivers don't know the Metropolitan, but most do know the Banyan Tree next door. Hotel staff can also give you a card with the address in Thai and a little map. The Lumpini night market is also only 5 minutes away. There has been a marked increase in the number of funky young designers selling clothes, as well as the usual tourist souvenirs and tatt.

Finally the spa treatments deserve special mention. We both had the 90 minute signature treatment which was simply heavenly. The environment of the spa and the changerooms with mosaic jacuzzi and steamroom is a million miles from the noise, dust and fumes of Bangkok just outside.

I wouldn't even contemplate staying anywhere else on subsequent visits to Bangkok. The Metropolitan is simply everything a hotel should be.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

1,044 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Sleek, bright, and spacious. Nice chill vibe throughout the whole place despite being so close to the main road. Gorgeous, large open rooms with lots of light. Bathroom toiletries to die for. Very helpful and friendly staff without being obtrusive. Both Cyan and Glow restaurants serve very clean, fresh and vibrant food. Could get quite noisy in the morning though with all the room doors opening and closing. Also, no free wifi except for the lobby which can be quite a hassle. Overall, a fabulous experience. Will definitely come back/

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

I stayed at the Metropolitan hotel for 3 nights and I would definitely go back. The room was lovely and big, the service was excellent and the general ambience was relaxing and very cool. I would definitely stay again if I went back to Bangkok even if it was just to sit next to the lovely pool!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
abwriter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Love this hotel!

Much more personal than your average Bangkok chain-hotel, the Met is just fantastic. Our room was very reasonable, large, clean, with the nicest toiletries I've ever used in a hotel.

Food in the hotel is decent, if on the expensive side. The main restuarant Cy'an is worth visiting, but don't miss the healthier option of Glow (Courgette and Cranberry cake - amazing!).

The spa is really the hotel's best asset. Very well-priced massages and treatments, a fantastic fitness centre, very chic pool - it was the spa that kept us relaxed and blissed out in a normally hectic, bustling city.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I admit that I do not like "boutique hotels" but this one I was pleased with. It looks new though I am not sure how old it is, service is great and price even GREATER YET.
I think it is 5-stars at the rate of US$130 a night in a great and safe location, not far from the city. I had a meeting about a mile from this hotel. The cab cost me about $3.

However, if you are planning on having the hotel set up your pick up in the Mercedes, it will cost you half the hotel rate (yes, a whopping US$60+) I cannot tell how much it would be taking a taxi cab but the hotel is far from the Airport. I am a safe traveller so I trust the hotel's transportation. I am extremely careful about this. But I admit I thought the transportation provided from the airport to the hotel was a bit expensive.

Breakfast was included and it was a FULL breakfast. Beautiful too. Very "decorated".
I would recommend this hotel for sure.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Superlatives all around...incredibly helpful staff, personalized service, comfortable rooms (outdoor shower and patio in central Bangkok!!) and one of the best fitness centers in a hotel that I've ever encountered. The two restaurants offered incredible food choices (one more organic, one more traditionally Thai), and the Met Bar was chic and inviting. Loved this hotel...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

We had a conference in February and we chose the Metropolitan Bangkok and here's my thoughts of this wonderful hotel, a gem in my mind.

Day 1:
I arrived into Bangkok and decided that I will save some money on the transportation and took a local cab and boy, did I made the wrong decision, I should have spent the money and gotten the hotel's limo so fetch me from the airport. While the cost was relative cheap, it took over 2.5 hours just to get to the MET BKK and the reason being the cab ran out of gas. So silly of me and never will I save that amount of money.

Anyway, I finally arrived at the MET BKK and lobby was impressive and trendy and I checked in like really quick, I am sure it took well within 3-5 minutes. Went up the elevator and went into my room and the room was stunning and big, huge bed, the toilet was wonderfully big and I have been in some Bangkok hotels and I must say that MET BKK room that I was staying in was huge and gave space to move around.

I went downstair to GLOW one of their two restaurant for a quick bite and the food was impressive as it has something to do with COMO Shambhala cuisine (wellness).

The evening, we had our welcome cocktail reception by the pool, I like the pool, it was situated on street level, food was great and impressive, we had a local cultural music in the background and the weather was great that night.

After the cocktail reception, I asked for an iron and ironing board and I was totally blown away by the thoughtfulness of the Housekeeping staff who came to set up the iron and ironing board and he brought something else with him - Spray-On Starch, now that's what I call thoughtfulness, I have travel to many and stayed in many a hotels but none brought a Spray-On Starch for me, when I ask for an iron and ironing board.

Day 2:
Morning breakfast at Glow again - wonderful meal and juices - excellent. We started the conference in their conference room which was modern and trendy. The morning and afternoon snacks were totally out of this world, I just can't stop eating throughout the conference, I must have gain a couple of pounds over that 3 days of conference.

Lunch with great, we had our lunch at CYAN, their other restaurants,

All the audio-visual equipments worked and I had no problems with my presentation as I had a MacBook Pro and some of my colleagues had other brand of laptops.

The night after the conference, we all gather at the MET Bar to unwind and catch up with my other overseas colleagues, the bar was spacious and had great food too.

Day 3:
End of conference, breakfast at GLOW was again great and lunch and conference break snacks were great too, I was still eating too much of the good food.

For final night, we organize a cocktail reception at the Presidential suite, which was great for us to mingle around and then we headed down to CYAN for our farewell dinner, I probably had the best Wagyu beef (medium rare) ever for my main course and the dessert was equally wonderful. The hotel was kind enough to arrange a cultural show for us as we wanted something cultural and it was not too long a show for us to manage.

Again, we head over to the MET Bar for our final night together as a group. Wonderful fun we had that night, I will not go into the details. but it was a great night out nonetheless.

Day 4:
Departure checkout was quick, the hotel sent me an express checkout document the night before, I still did the old fashion checkout at the front desk and checkout was quick.

There were 5 of us leaving to the airport and the hotel organized a mini-bus to send us to the airport and when we got to the airport, there was a hotel staff waiting there to assist us with the airport check-in.

So my final thought is if I am going back to Bangkok for either leisure or business, I will return to stay at the Metropolitan Bangkok.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok? Share your experiences!