“Impeccable service and best breakfast in SE Asia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok

You added Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok to your Saves list
Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 South Sathorn Road | Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #14 of 765 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Impeccable service and best breakfast in SE Asia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Check-in was a breeze, probably the easiest, most efficient I've encountred. The interior is minimalist and fairly typical for this standard of hotel - what stood out was the cool shadow clock in the reception area. Room was spacious and had a nice view of the pool.

Breakfast and use of the gym was included - as it should be. A combination of buffet and à la carte breakfast was perfect, finally a chance to skip awful white toast, I ate the raw coconut porridge both mornings - AMAZING. Healthy and even raw food on the menu is a nice touch, and not something I see too often.

Beautiful rooms and good food are great, but what really made our stay magnificent was the extremely attentative staff, especially the concierge service. Will return next time I'm in Bangkok.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear AndreaBae, we would be delighted to welcome you back in your next visit to Bangkok, we have really enjoyed having you with us and would like to thank you for your very kind review.
The team will be happy to read your comments and I'm sure it will encourage all of us to do better.
It means a lot to us that you have enjoyed our Glow breakfast, the team puts lots of care and effort on it every day and as mentioned the a la carte and small buffet combination presents a very good balance for a health or more traditional breakfast choice.
Happy to share our Raw coconut porridge recipe if you would like so.
Please anything you may need let us know and meanwhile receive our gratitude and warmest regards, Jorge Monje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stay this hotel for the business shooting trip.It is new,stylish,trendy and quite spacious.
The overall stay is very relaxing.

Pros:
1.Super staff
The Staff is polite and friendly. They are full of smile even the cleaner provides the room service.It is surprised good feeling in a city hotel,especially back from the extremely tired work.
They would try all their best to answer your questions.Good!
2. Good food

The buffet is good. Their bar for hang out is very awesome and super relaxing at night. After the day of work,all of us have a great time there.

Cons:
1. Ugly swimming pool
It is the street and road which drive me don't want to swim there.It feels dirty for me.

2. Bad location
After work,i used to find more than 5 taxi to send me to the hotel and ALL the drivers rejected, they would only drive you to the near metro station and you need to walk around 15minutes back to the hotel.

**Special**
One night,there's a HUGE mosquito visited me!And i asked for the ANY mosquito repellent,but the hotel provide NOTHING!The only bad thing is i had a really terrible night.I didn't sleep for whole whole night. My face,my legs,my hands are ALL red. :(

Overall, the hotel is very trendy.I feel very good to stay here because of the environment and the friendly staff.It is recommended if you not plan to shopping surround there.

Room Tip: We suggest the hotel to buy some mosquito repellent for the guests or the guests need to prepare the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Misskani p, greetings from Metropolitan Bangkok and on behalf of all of us thanks a lot for your visit and very kind comment.
We are glad to know you have enjoyed the hotel and your stay, the team will be really happy to know you have felt their service efficient and friendly.
I would like as well, to apologize for the mosquito incident, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and really sorry that there might have been some miscommunication, our housekeeping team would have been happy to assist in that regard.
We are very honor at Metropolitan with a very large base of friends, regular guests that choose to stay at the hotel once and again, some of the reasons being the very nice pool, one of the best in Bangkok hotels especially for lap swimming and the good location, so again I'm very sorry that we may have not been able to advise properly, Silom a very commercial area, including Patpong night market are just one street away and both Sky Train and MRT within a 10 minutes walk.
Hopefully you may choose to visit us again and we will make sure to share the many areas of interest around the hotel and all major areas in the city. All this while been very quiet and peaceful. Looking forward to have you back, Jorge Monje.
North Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Rooms are very big and the bathrooms are god-sent - large, spacious and great toiletries - Invigorate! Only complain is the bed which is too hard and pillows too soft. Location is quite a walk to the nearest BTS station (probably due to the heat at this time of the year) but nothing like a cab ride can get you practically anywhere in the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Willy B, greetings from Bangkok and all of us at Metropolitan, really happy to read you had an "invigorating" stay and would like to thank you for your visit.
Bangkok definitely is hot and humid, but closest BTS and MRT station are just 10 minutes walk and the hotel offers an hourly shuttle transfer to Sala Daeng BTS station. plus the many taxis and Tuk-Tuk around allow for a very peaceful stay but still close to all main interest areas.
We would be really happy to welcome you back, please let us know if we can be of any assistance and hopefully you had very good memories of this trip. Warm regards, Jorge Monje
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have never left a review on Tripadvior before and this is a firts for us. We stayed in The Metropolitan in mid June for 3 night as part of our honeymoon. The location of hotel is great 5/10mn from BTS & MRT. No need for taxi. Very central location and very close to Lumphini Park (10mn walk). Staff is brilliant and would like to take the opportunity to thanks them. Upon our arrival the general manager greeted us which I tought was a nice touch. We arrived in the hotel at 10am after a very long flight from Ireland. Check in was meant to be 1pm but it was no problem for us to check in early which we really appreciated. Breakfast was the best I have experienced before. I recommend the hotel and will defo be back next year for a 3 night stay again!! can't wait!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Virginie L, regards from your home in Bangkok, we feel really honor that you have chosen us to write your first tripadvisor review.
It was really nice to meet you both and have you staying with us, it means a lot to all of us that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we have contributed to many nice memories of your honeymoon.
We will share with our team and on behalf of them all I would like to thank you for your visit and your very kind review.
Please, let us know should you finally come back next year, happy to be of assistance. Warm regards and looking forward to have you back. Jorge Monje
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

the metropolitan is a chic hotel, well situated for a short stay in bangkok.
very elegantly designed lobby. lovely greeting by the staff.
we stayed in a city room, which had just enough space for 2. a thoughtful fruit plate awaited us upon arrival.
the hotel is a 5 minute walk away from the patpong night market, which is an interesting place to go at night. many places to eat, massage studios and many shops and stands with this and that.
the only negative thing about the hotel, is breakfast. there is no typical buffet breakfast -which i personally enjoy when staying at an hotel. one orders from an a la carte menu. (we ordered pancakes, which were tasty, though very small for the price) the breakfast room is more like an office cantine. all white and rather sterile. and to add to it, the air con is on full blast. cold temperatures for a cold, lifeless room. i hope that they decide to redesign the breakfast room to match the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: the city rooms are the cheapest category, but just lovely! our room was on the 9th floor overlookin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear AnnF83, greetings from all of us at Metropolitan Bangkok, really nice to read your comments and great to know you have had a nice stay and enjoyed this very interesting, and hectic, Bangkok.
We are very grateful for your visit and really appreciate your feedback and comments.
I'm especially sorry you have not enjoyed our breakfast very much, we take a lot of care on it and it is the reason most of our regular guests choose to come back to Metropolitan once and again.
As mentioned, our breakfast is a la carte, with a little fruits, pastry, jams, cold cuts, juices...buffet all with the best items,homemade, while the a la carte section has a wide variety of dishes both traditional breakfast and health oriented, very creative dishes.
Please accept our since apology for this inconvenience, receive our warmest regards and a big thank you.
Hopefully we will welcome you back soon. Best, Jorge Monje.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Celebrated my friend's birthday in Bangkok and stayed at this hotel.

The lobby is big and spacious and I liked the 'Shadow Clock'.

Check-in was a breeze and when my friend didn't like the room number, another room was arranged immediately.
We waited for less than 10mins in total.

We had booked a Metropolitan Room which was big and comfortable.
The decor felt very homely.

The bathroom was big but the hotel looked a little tired.

Breakfast at Glow was fabulous and the mangoes were fresh and delightful.

The location of the hotel is a little off the main road and some taxis had trouble sending us back.
However, this also means the room was quiet and great for a restful night.
Getting a taxi to go out was in contrast very easy due to the excellent service standards of the staff.

Checkout was similarly seamless.

Overall, the service is excellent and the rooms simple, making one feel right at home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear SgFred, we hope you all had a great birthday celebration and fun trip to Bangkok.
Happy to read your very nice comments, on behalf of all of us thanks a lot, we really appreciate it and are very grateful for your visit.
Our team would be glad to read your comments and know you have enjoyed their service. Location as you mentioned is really quiet and peaceful but yet very close to all the main areas of interest via taxi or both Sky train and Subway less than 10 minutes walk.
Plenty of interesting attractions and dining options within walking distance, as we are across the street from Silom area.
We hope to have you back very soon, please let us know if we can be of any assistance on advance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We first stayed at the COMO Metropolitan early in 2012. We loved the hotel and Bangkok so much that we came back in October/November of 2012 for a longer stay of ten days. I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. It ticks all the boxes: big, clean, quiet, well-appointed rooms with big comfortable beds and the best pillows that I've ever slept on. I was so impressed by the pillows that I went and bought some similar ones for my own bed.

The Metropolitan room that we stayed in had a big limestone bathroom with a deep soaker bath and walk in shower. The bathrooms smell of lavender, eucalyptus and rose geranium from the divine COMO bath and beauty products, which I also went and bought for home and every time I use them I feel like I'm back on holiday. They last forever. Our only request would be to have some brighter lighting available in the bathroom for shaving.

In the cupboards you'll find yoga mats for the free classes held in the yoga studio as well as big umbrellas for those afternoon rain showers. We forgot to take one on a cloudy day and got soaked coming back but the divine staff had warm fluffy towels at the entrance when we got there. There's good WiFi, plus a DVD player and CD, in-room safe, lots of clean bottled water, fresh fruit, coffee and tea facilities and an outstanding room service menu. We even had a personal greeting from Jorge Monge, the new manager. It's this sort of personal touch that makes this hotel such a pleasure. You feel like everything is easy and no-one looks unhappy or harried. Jorge came and introduced himself the next day, after breakfast. He is such a lovely man and it is obvious that he loves his job. I suspect that he is a bit of a star in the COMO empire as he has so much charm and warmth with hotel clients and staff. He offered great local tips on transport, shopping and eating. It made us feel valued as hotel clients and enhanced the feeling that this hotel is all about making you feel at home in Bangkok.

I also want to give a big rave for Nahm and Glow, the two restaurants at the hotel. We had most of our breakfasts at Glow which offers a superb buffet including fresh fruits, fruit and coconut juices and smoothies, yoghurt, muesli, pastries and croissants, avocado, smoked salmon, salami and proscuitto as well as several bread varieties and toppings including freshly pressed peanut butter, syrupy passionfruit and lemon curd. Added to this are the cooked options ranging from traditional western food such as fluffy mushroom omelettes and vegetable rosti to coconut porridge, a favourite, and asian-fusion dishes. Glow does lunch and dinner service, too as well as some of the fantastic dishes on the room-service menu. Highly recommended.

What to say about Nahm that you wouldn't already know? It's been ranked as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world. In my opinion it deserves every accolade. The food looks simple but the layering and complexity of flavours is amazing. If you love Thai food and I don't mean westernised Thai food, then you will love Nahm. David Thompson bases his dishes on real Thai food. Many of the dishes are sourced from old, old family recipes. We ate here several times and it is always full so I recommend booking early. If you can take the warm night air then I recommend dining on the terrace. We didn't have one bad dish, everything was better and more delicious than expected, and we had high expectations. The menu is very understated but the staff are good at explaining everything. Be warned that if you say you like it really hot (chili hot) then you will get it really hot. We overreached on one hot soup (and we love our fiery chilis) but were rescued by apple slices dipped in raw sugar to soothe the burn. No harm done we went on to enjoy one of the best meals I've ever had.

After hours spent in and by the pool each day, my husband and I both had spa treatments: facials, massages and reflexology. All were lovely and regenerative, although the reflexologist isn't mucking around and you are in for some serious work on those much-abused feet and calves. My feet felt great the next day but this is not a treatment for anyone expecting a gentle massage. My husband loved the steam room (there's one each in the men's and women's bath/locker rooms), while I had the whirlpool spa to all to myself for 40 minutes one afternoon - bliss.

I know that I'll probably forget something in this review but that's okay because we will be going back. If you prefer tinkling fountains and gilded foyers with too much frippery then please don't come here. This place is effortlessly chic, not flashy and glitzy. It's Comme des garcons styling where you feel almost like you have the hotel to yourself. There's a sense of being in an insiders club, where everyone appreciates calm and privacy. If I had a bigger budget I'd stay in one of the Penthouse or Como suites.

It's close to the Skytrain and nearby is the new Silom shopping complex that has a Muji and a CENTRAL department store as well as hundreds of other shops.The dubious Patpong night markets are across the road from the Skytrain station. There are lots of street food vendors near the station selling fantastic food. be bold and try it out. The Skytrain is easy and cheap to use and only a few stops from the Siam shopping area. Siam is where all the glitzy big name hotels are and you will feel sorry for anyone staying in the middle of all this bustle when you have experienced the quiet and somewhat secret, COMO Metropolitan.

Room Tip: Metropolitan rooms are big. If you have the finances then stay in one of the divine Penthouse or Com...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Stefanie32, it was so nice to see you and we were all very happy to have you back with us. Thanks a lot for your visit and it really means a lot to us that you have felt at home and enjoyed this long stay.
You are very kind and generous, thanks for this very detailed review, you have said it all, so little else for me to add, other than our heartfelt thanks.
In fact Bangkok is a great city and place to visit, even for a longer stay, so many things to do and explore within the city or having the city as a based, combined with the relaxation and all the facilities and service at the Metropolitan.
We are looking forward to have you back, please let us know if we can be of any assistance on once again on behalf of all the team, thanks a lot and warm regards, Jorge Monje

Been to Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok? Share your experiences!