“great hotel not far from the hustle and bustle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok

You added Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok to your Saves list
Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 South Sathorn Road | Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #17 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
4.5 of 5 stars 1,227 Reviews
Frankfurt, Germany
“great hotel not far from the hustle and bustle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

the metropolitan is a chic hotel, well situated for a short stay in bangkok.
very elegantly designed lobby. lovely greeting by the staff.
we stayed in a city room, which had just enough space for 2. a thoughtful fruit plate awaited us upon arrival.
the hotel is a 5 minute walk away from the patpong night market, which is an interesting place to go at night. many places to eat, massage studios and many shops and stands with this and that.
the only negative thing about the hotel, is breakfast. there is no typical buffet breakfast -which i personally enjoy when staying at an hotel. one orders from an a la carte menu. (we ordered pancakes, which were tasty, though very small for the price) the breakfast room is more like an office cantine. all white and rather sterile. and to add to it, the air con is on full blast. cold temperatures for a cold, lifeless room. i hope that they decide to redesign the breakfast room to match the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: the city rooms are the cheapest category, but just lovely! our room was on the 9th floor overlookin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear AnnF83, greetings from all of us at Metropolitan Bangkok, really nice to read your comments and great to know you have had a nice stay and enjoyed this very interesting, and hectic, Bangkok.
We are very grateful for your visit and really appreciate your feedback and comments.
I'm especially sorry you have not enjoyed our breakfast very much, we take a lot of care on it and it is the reason most of our regular guests choose to come back to Metropolitan once and again.
As mentioned, our breakfast is a la carte, with a little fruits, pastry, jams, cold cuts, juices...buffet all with the best items,homemade, while the a la carte section has a wide variety of dishes both traditional breakfast and health oriented, very creative dishes.
Please accept our since apology for this inconvenience, receive our warmest regards and a big thank you.
Hopefully we will welcome you back soon. Best, Jorge Monje.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Celebrated my friend's birthday in Bangkok and stayed at this hotel.

The lobby is big and spacious and I liked the 'Shadow Clock'.

Check-in was a breeze and when my friend didn't like the room number, another room was arranged immediately.
We waited for less than 10mins in total.

We had booked a Metropolitan Room which was big and comfortable.
The decor felt very homely.

The bathroom was big but the hotel looked a little tired.

Breakfast at Glow was fabulous and the mangoes were fresh and delightful.

The location of the hotel is a little off the main road and some taxis had trouble sending us back.
However, this also means the room was quiet and great for a restful night.
Getting a taxi to go out was in contrast very easy due to the excellent service standards of the staff.

Checkout was similarly seamless.

Overall, the service is excellent and the rooms simple, making one feel right at home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear SgFred, we hope you all had a great birthday celebration and fun trip to Bangkok.
Happy to read your very nice comments, on behalf of all of us thanks a lot, we really appreciate it and are very grateful for your visit.
Our team would be glad to read your comments and know you have enjoyed their service. Location as you mentioned is really quiet and peaceful but yet very close to all the main areas of interest via taxi or both Sky train and Subway less than 10 minutes walk.
Plenty of interesting attractions and dining options within walking distance, as we are across the street from Silom area.
We hope to have you back very soon, please let us know if we can be of any assistance on advance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We first stayed at the COMO Metropolitan early in 2012. We loved the hotel and Bangkok so much that we came back in October/November of 2012 for a longer stay of ten days. I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. It ticks all the boxes: big, clean, quiet, well-appointed rooms with big comfortable beds and the best pillows that I've ever slept on. I was so impressed by the pillows that I went and bought some similar ones for my own bed.

The Metropolitan room that we stayed in had a big limestone bathroom with a deep soaker bath and walk in shower. The bathrooms smell of lavender, eucalyptus and rose geranium from the divine COMO bath and beauty products, which I also went and bought for home and every time I use them I feel like I'm back on holiday. They last forever. Our only request would be to have some brighter lighting available in the bathroom for shaving.

In the cupboards you'll find yoga mats for the free classes held in the yoga studio as well as big umbrellas for those afternoon rain showers. We forgot to take one on a cloudy day and got soaked coming back but the divine staff had warm fluffy towels at the entrance when we got there. There's good WiFi, plus a DVD player and CD, in-room safe, lots of clean bottled water, fresh fruit, coffee and tea facilities and an outstanding room service menu. We even had a personal greeting from Jorge Monge, the new manager. It's this sort of personal touch that makes this hotel such a pleasure. You feel like everything is easy and no-one looks unhappy or harried. Jorge came and introduced himself the next day, after breakfast. He is such a lovely man and it is obvious that he loves his job. I suspect that he is a bit of a star in the COMO empire as he has so much charm and warmth with hotel clients and staff. He offered great local tips on transport, shopping and eating. It made us feel valued as hotel clients and enhanced the feeling that this hotel is all about making you feel at home in Bangkok.

I also want to give a big rave for Nahm and Glow, the two restaurants at the hotel. We had most of our breakfasts at Glow which offers a superb buffet including fresh fruits, fruit and coconut juices and smoothies, yoghurt, muesli, pastries and croissants, avocado, smoked salmon, salami and proscuitto as well as several bread varieties and toppings including freshly pressed peanut butter, syrupy passionfruit and lemon curd. Added to this are the cooked options ranging from traditional western food such as fluffy mushroom omelettes and vegetable rosti to coconut porridge, a favourite, and asian-fusion dishes. Glow does lunch and dinner service, too as well as some of the fantastic dishes on the room-service menu. Highly recommended.

What to say about Nahm that you wouldn't already know? It's been ranked as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world. In my opinion it deserves every accolade. The food looks simple but the layering and complexity of flavours is amazing. If you love Thai food and I don't mean westernised Thai food, then you will love Nahm. David Thompson bases his dishes on real Thai food. Many of the dishes are sourced from old, old family recipes. We ate here several times and it is always full so I recommend booking early. If you can take the warm night air then I recommend dining on the terrace. We didn't have one bad dish, everything was better and more delicious than expected, and we had high expectations. The menu is very understated but the staff are good at explaining everything. Be warned that if you say you like it really hot (chili hot) then you will get it really hot. We overreached on one hot soup (and we love our fiery chilis) but were rescued by apple slices dipped in raw sugar to soothe the burn. No harm done we went on to enjoy one of the best meals I've ever had.

After hours spent in and by the pool each day, my husband and I both had spa treatments: facials, massages and reflexology. All were lovely and regenerative, although the reflexologist isn't mucking around and you are in for some serious work on those much-abused feet and calves. My feet felt great the next day but this is not a treatment for anyone expecting a gentle massage. My husband loved the steam room (there's one each in the men's and women's bath/locker rooms), while I had the whirlpool spa to all to myself for 40 minutes one afternoon - bliss.

I know that I'll probably forget something in this review but that's okay because we will be going back. If you prefer tinkling fountains and gilded foyers with too much frippery then please don't come here. This place is effortlessly chic, not flashy and glitzy. It's Comme des garcons styling where you feel almost like you have the hotel to yourself. There's a sense of being in an insiders club, where everyone appreciates calm and privacy. If I had a bigger budget I'd stay in one of the Penthouse or Como suites.

It's close to the Skytrain and nearby is the new Silom shopping complex that has a Muji and a CENTRAL department store as well as hundreds of other shops.The dubious Patpong night markets are across the road from the Skytrain station. There are lots of street food vendors near the station selling fantastic food. be bold and try it out. The Skytrain is easy and cheap to use and only a few stops from the Siam shopping area. Siam is where all the glitzy big name hotels are and you will feel sorry for anyone staying in the middle of all this bustle when you have experienced the quiet and somewhat secret, COMO Metropolitan.

Room Tip: Metropolitan rooms are big. If you have the finances then stay in one of the divine Penthouse or Com...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Stefanie32, it was so nice to see you and we were all very happy to have you back with us. Thanks a lot for your visit and it really means a lot to us that you have felt at home and enjoyed this long stay.
You are very kind and generous, thanks for this very detailed review, you have said it all, so little else for me to add, other than our heartfelt thanks.
In fact Bangkok is a great city and place to visit, even for a longer stay, so many things to do and explore within the city or having the city as a based, combined with the relaxation and all the facilities and service at the Metropolitan.
We are looking forward to have you back, please let us know if we can be of any assistance on once again on behalf of all the team, thanks a lot and warm regards, Jorge Monje
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

i was there only 3 nights. and shared with a friend of mine.

the restaurant is just incredible. the best thai food i have ever had.

its in a good part of bangkok. and the pool is nice to sit by.

I was shocked at how well priced it is.
a definite recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear grazmulcahy, greetings from us all at Metropolitan, it is so nice to read your enthusiastic review, thanks a lot.
We will share with all the team, especially at Nahm our Thai restaurant, they will be happy to know you did enjoy very much, is indeed a very special place making an effort to keep alive very traditional and elaborate Thai recipes and your comments are a great encouragement to us all.
You are absolutely right, Metropolitan Bangkok is a great value for money, great rooms, great food and hopefully very good service.
Please let us know would you like to come back, we hope to see you again soon, warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

It was a last minute city holiday and we love the tranquility of the hotel upon check-in in the midst of Bangkok! Our suite was fantastic, love the minimalistic decor. Service was a dream and the Thais are just so good and natural with making our holiday perfect as always in every part of Thailand!

Nahm was a dream! I am a foodie, a chef and manage my own restaurant and knows my food very well! We waitlisted for a table, got it after 9:30pm, and went back again the night before we left! The wonderful unusual harmony of the flavours left such a deep impression on me! Went to several other Thai restaurants during my stay and was so bored as they were all the norms! Look forward to my next visit!

Loved the breakfast too! Selection at the buffet was just right so you can keep food wastage at the minimal. The menu for the main dishes were very creative, healthy and yummy! I love the coconut water to detox and hydrate!

Thank you again for a lovely stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear BettyNg, warm regards from us all in Bangkok, we are very grateful for your visit and extremely generous comments. Coming from a colleague, chef and restaurant owner it really means a lot to us.
The team will be very happy to read your review, especially those at Nahm and Glow, I'm sure we will all be inspired to do more and better every day.
Please let me know if we can be of any assistance and hopefully we might welcome you back very soon.
Warm regards, Jorge Monje
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Yet another fantastic hotel from the COMO group! I loved the spaciousness of my room (and bathroom!) and the tasteful design and deco of the entire hotel especially. If you're looking for privacy without the hustle and bustle of large crowds and children, I would recommend this hotel. Just entering the grounds made me feel a notch more calm... Service was also excellent and warm, as expected from a hotel of this calibre. F&B at glow was also superb and it encouraged me to eat/ drink "clean" while I was in BKK.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear ItalyGirlHollyGeorge, greetings from your home in Bangkok, really happy to know you have enjoyed your stay at the Metropolitan and that we've been able to meet your expectations and experience at our sister COMO Hotels.
Indeed Metropolitan is a very calming property and with a very strong focus on wellness from teh rooms design to our food at Glow, our COMO Shambhala Spa or the great gym and pool, a perfect urban retreat just at the footsteps of this bustling and interesting city.
On behalf of all us thanks a lot for your visit and for this very kind review. Let us know if we can be of any assistance we are looking forward to have you back, warm regards, Jorge Monje
sologrrl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

They don't make it easy to want to go out and sightsee. It almost made me feel like I'd been roughing it prior to staying here.
I stayed in the City Room which was a nice size and had fresh fruit in the bowl on arrival. I loved that they had a yoga mat and umbrella. And the robes were great! I had lunch at Nahm which felt really decadent and so good and the breakfast at Glow was great as well.
It was like the crazy of Bangkok just sloughed off when you walk down the little street/alley leading to the hotel. It's quiet and I don't think I heard any street noise from my room. The nearest train station Sala Daeng is a 15 min. walk from the hotel. I felt safe walking to/from the station at night...it just feels like a long walk because of the heat. It's really my only complaint about staying here. Other than that everything was pitch perfect and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear sologrrl, you are absolutely right, when making a turn from Sathorn into the little road/alley leading to the hotel feels like living the whole buzz and noise from Bangkok behind, we are privilege with a very nice and peaceful corner of this hectic, fun city.
I would like to thank you for your visit, we are really happy you have enjoyed your stay with us and it is such a compliment that we have made it hard for you to go our and sightseeing.
As mentioned I think we are the perfect combination, a very interesting city with so much to explore, see, taste and our little oasis to come back home and unwind.
We look forward to have you back, please let us know if we can be of any assistance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.

Been to Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok? Share your experiences!