“Amazing Hotel Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok to your Saves list
Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 South Sathorn Road | Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night, Free Upgrade
Ranked #15 of 755 Hotels in Bangkok
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wow. There is not much more to say. This hotel is just an amazing place to relax in a bustling city. We stayed in a Terrace Room at a great rate which included an outdoor shower and terrace under wooden slats. It was such a pleasure using the shower after a day exploring Bangkok in all its humidity. The bed is extremely comfortable and the toiletries are just divine (same as those used in the spa).
The breakfast at Glow was declared "the best hotel breakfast ever" by my fiance and he has had his fair share of hotel breakfasts. If you're looking for the usual greasy bacon and eggs then look again. This hotel offers healthy and delicious options with both buffet and a la carte choices. The "toast" was my favourite and I would highly recommend it. One of the signs of great hotel is when it is inclusive and this was never more evident at the Met than when they hosted artist, Chen Man and her exhibition of photography. Guests were invited to attend and enjoy the complimentary Vodka cocktails and food. It was such an amazing experience and quite unexpected. Chinese contemporary art is a phenomenal movement so it was a nice surprise to be a part of it for an evening. On the same evening we enjoyed the Chen Man opening, we ate at Nahm and that was a sensational experience. The food was fresh and delicate yet packed a punch of flavour. I didn't think the meal could get much better until I spied David Thompson himself talking to the diners at the table next to us. Wow.
People refer to the location but we found it perfect. It is in walking distance to BTS Sala Daeng and that is your gateway to Bangkok (and the way to avoid the traffic). Yes, it's 10 minute walk but it's flat and mostly in the shade.
The rooms, the food, the pool, the bar... all of these things the hotel does really well but that is not what makes it "wow". The difference here is the service. The welcome is warm, the concierge know what they're talking about, the staff is efficient. After our two night stay, I didn't think a hotel could get any better, but I wrong. After departing the Met for a week in Phuket, we returned to Bangkok for our flight back to Australia. We ended up stranded in Bangkok for an extra night due to an airline stuff up. One phone call late in the evening saw us back at the Met with the same room, at the same rate. Not only did they accomodate us, they had my lost hat waiting for me on my return. Nothing was too much trouble and special mention to my young friend at the reception who made sure we had everything we needed.
We will recommend this hotel to everyone we know travelling to Bangkok. Stay there, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a Terrace Room - the outdoor shower is an experience!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear TravellerTourister, what a nice way for all of us to start the day, we have just gone over your incredibly kind comment in our morning meeting and I can assure you the team is really grateful and inspired to do even better in the future.
We have really enjoyed having you with us and would like to thank you for your visit, we are especially happy you have enjoyed and value our Chen Man exhibition, we are always looking at ways to bring interesting new experiences at the Metropolitan, wellness, cuisine, design and these weeks we are very privileged to be hosting Chen Man's first exhibition in Bangkok, thanks for joining the artist and all of us on the opening day.
We would be very happy to welcome you back soon, please anything you may need at any time, let us know. Warm regards and our gratitude. Jorge Monje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Metropolitan by Como, really is a lovely oasis. The deco is modern and very well done, superb for those who appreciate contemporary design. The staff at the hotel are amazing, nothing was ever too much. They have a lovely spa which unfortunately I never used mainly because it is too pricey. However, the rooms are very keenly priced and the B&B package is great value as they do an amazing breakfast, which is even better at weekends.

This hotel holds its own against the bigger brands and in my opinion delivers more. If you are after an intimate experience this hotel is definitely for you.

Loved it and can't wait for my next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jm013, we can't wait to have you back either. We have enjoyed having you with us and we are very grateful for your review and positive feedback.
It means a lot to us that you have had a nice experience and seem to value everything Metropolitan and all our COMO H&R, stand for, great cuisine, wellness, design and a peaceful, intimate home away from home.
On behalf of all of us, thanks a lot and please any time you may be visiting Bangkok again, let us know. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

With strong brand recognition comes high expectations. I phoned personally to the res agent to request they accommodate me on the Extended Bangkok rate for a Terrace Suite (outdoor showers). The website said the promotion applied to all room types (stay for 3 pay for 2) but was not available for booking. She called me back personally and set it all up for me so a pleasing start. Overall that staff are above average for helpfulness and service as Bangkok seems to be getting sucked into a world of more lackadaisical service standards despite the Thai penchant for such. Must say that Khun Kulterra on the front desk is an absolute delight and any hospitality operator could start a great core service team around her. A few misses from my personal perspective and this may not apply to everyone considering this hotel; don't expect a daily newspaper- the staff referred me to some kind of e-Newspaper which I could manage to find (and I consider myself tech savvy) so I let it drop, no plug for your electric shaver in the bathroom, the wood slats comprising the floor of the outdoor shower were old and rotting (I had the pleasure of staying in room 418), we borrowed a pair of scissors and were asked to sign a chit for them like as if we were criminals and potentially going to pack them up with us. Finally, it was quite disappointing that we could not eat at Nahme, the well known in house restaurant as we could not get a reservation 1.5 days in advance even as hotel guests in a suite. The staff said they would "try" to squeeze us in at 9.30 for a second seating but eventually after waiting and not being able to get any firm update on whether or not we were actually going to get dinner that night..we made alternate palms and ate at a local competitor. I understand being a popular place and being busy...good for them...it just would have been nice to see some privilege extended to in house guests. Many nice little touches too though; we used the transport multiple times and each time the concierge were good at being flexible with our changing plans and needs based upon the traffic conditions, they also let me ride out to the airport with the driver sent to pick up my guest so I got to hang out at a local Thai truck stop for an hour while he waited to be called up to the airport (a little local culture never hurts). They handled several booked and then cancelled reservations at local restaurants with class and grace.. The pillows and duvets are very luxurious and the rooms peaceful. I don't like a shower curtain bath tub, and cannot speak for the other rooms. Of course the main reason for booking a Terrace Suite is the outdoor shower. However one of us preferred the indoor shower so this became an issue. Pricing is competitive and perhaps a little better than what would be considered their comp set. I think an ongoing refurbishment program will need to be accelerates to keep the goals and positioning of the brand standard. A few quirks...no earbuds in the bathroom, no razor, no sponge and a very strong, unknown brand of toothpaste certainly awakes your mouth. I think that the ice bucket for couples should be stocked each night (had to be requested). Room service was adequate time and quality, no return to clear it. Guess you have to ask. Keep Kulteera. She is a star with the guests. Will return and hope a reno plan is under consideration and will try those rooms.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear PrincelyTraveller, greetings from all of us at the Metropololitan by COMO, Bangkok.
I would like to thank you for your visit and your very good comments and feedback. We really appreciate you have taken the time to do such a detailed review.
I''m glad to have the opportunity to explain further in a couple of your comments, as an additional service to our guests we are offering a very interesting service and access to more than 2000 newspapers printed editions from more than 90 countries which most of our guests find very convenient and impressive. Access should have been very easy and straight forward I don't know what may have gone wrong in this occasion and would like to apologize.
I'm as well extremely sorry you didn't have a chance to have dinner at Nahm, as you may know our Thai restaurant has recently been voted Top 32 restaurant in the world and it is usually fully book more than a week on advance. We do advice in all our reservations confirmations on the need of doing advance reservations. We would be delighted to have you back and I will make sure to personally handle your reservation.
we are happy that in spite these small inconveniences you have enjoyed your stay and our team's service and we are all looking forward to have you back. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The hotel is small but packs in details for each room. The room reminds me of the Puli hotel in Shanghai which is made of dark wood. The service is excellent. The breakfast is anything but ordinary. You wait for sunday breakfast where they serve you the food of each Metropolitan hotel they are present in. I tried the Bhuttanese and Bali food and it was amazing. if you are going to stay in Bangkok, do check this hotel out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jose I, hopefully we will be seeing you again in your next visit to Bangkok, meanwhile I would like to thank you for your very nice comment and referral and for your visit.
We are glad you found us and think of us as a little "hidden gem", one we would like to share with many more guests and friends.
We will share your very kind comments with the team, especially all of them at our Glow restaurant, they will be happy to know you have enjoyed our breakfast.
Anything you may need let us know, happy to be of assistance, warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just in the middle of bangkok city at one of the main roads this hotel offers excellent service and qualiy for very reasonable prices. Has a great spa and nice outdoor pool! Rooms are spacious and very quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Peter A, a warm hello from all of us at Metropolitan. You are extremely kind, thanks a lot for the very nice comment and for your visit.
Glad you have enjoyed your stay, Metropolitan is a quiet "urban retreat" right in the middle of the city but yet quiet and peaceful. It is very encouraging you have valued the good service and quality we offered, lost of effort and care goes into everything our teams do and they will be happy to read your comments.
Stay well and please let us know should you be visiting Bangkok soon, warm regards, Jorge Monje
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The rooms are large and simply but elegantly furnished. Small hotel compard to all the other large 5* chains. Breakfast is a real spread; staff are always attentive and helpful, but not intrusive. Pool is large enough for a proper swim, and the gym is often empty though well equipped. It is a bit like home away from home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tripper1Malaysia, a home away from home it is what we all at COMO Hotels and resorts strive to be, it means a lot to us that you have felt that way at the Metropolitan.
On behalf of all of us thanks a lot, we are all looking forward to welcome you back home very soon.
Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Metropilitan in april this year and had a wonderful experience.
The staff is discreet and efficient. Kind and attentional.
The feeling of the place ooses quiet luxury and ultimate style.
It's a haven of peace in buzzing Bangkok
We highly recommend this hotel in it's categorie

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicolas m, greetings from this quiet corner of a buzzing Bangkok!! Really happy to know you have had a nice and peaceful stay, on behalf of all of us thanks a lot for your visit and taking the time to share this very nice review.
We hope your trips will bring you back to Bangkok soon, if so please let us know if we can be of any assistance. Stay well, warm regards, Jorge Monje.

Been to Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok? Share your experiences!