“Coming home to cool 5-star luxury in Bangkok, Oriental City:)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok to your Saves list
Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   27 South Sathorn Road | Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night, Free Upgrade
Ranked #16 of 753 hotels in Bangkok
Laurel, Maryland
“Coming home to cool 5-star luxury in Bangkok, Oriental City:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Yes; I'm revealing my age with that title riff on Murray Head's 1984 hit "One Night in Bangkok", from the original score for the musical "Chess".:D

Anyway, to the review: Yes; I recently enjoyed a great 6-day "welcome-home" stay at the Met in Bangkok; it had been some years since my last stay. (See also my original review for the hotel, from way back in 2005.) I can happily report that the Met's not only aged very gracefully since my first stay 8 years ago, but also that it's just as lovely, cool, hip, and service-oriented as always.

My recent stay at the Met was actually a last-minute (same-day!) booking, as I was dissatisfied with the noise level (from the street as well as inside the property) at the Marvin Suites. Fortunately, Expedia had a good 3rd-night-free offer for the Met, and I booked it, paying $125/night plus taxes and fees for the hotel's signature Metropolitan room, which measures over 50 sq. m.

All the goodies I remember from past stays were evident as soon as I arrived: smart young staff in Yohji Yamamoto uniforms; lovely, relaxing lobby with light scenting, soothing ambient lighting, and subtly sexy music. Check-in took a bit longer than normal, even though I'd Skyped Expedia and asked them to reconfirm the last-minute booking with the Met. No matter; I waited only a few minutes while the check-in clerk verified my reservation, advised me of the standard deposit against my credit card, and graciously met my request for a non-smoking room on a higher floor.

I received my key to a 9th-floor room and was on my way.

The Metropolitan room: While the Met offers smaller (29 s.m., I think) "City" rooms, I've only stayed -- and would only stay -- in one of their Met rooms, which are huge and beautiful. Eight years of solid guest traffic had barely taken its toll on my room; the lovely dark woods for the floor and furnishings were intact with only a few insignificant scuffs. Same for the huge limestone bathroom, with the best walk-in shower (no door, but so large a space as to not need one) and pristine white-porcelain oval tub just below a picture window with its own blinds and indirect lighting; while I saw a few scuffs and filler marks on the limestone and tile surfaces, nothing detracted from the peaceful, cool, luxury of either room. The sleeping/sitting area of the room puts many other hotel and apt.-hotel "suites" to shame. The king bed, on a solid wood platform with three individually controlled mood/reading lights (not to mention nightlights below the twin nightstands), was super comfy, with cool white sheets and a soft, warm duvet. The TV, a good LCD unit, was a bit small (32") for the room, but hey, the default station (comes on when TV set is powered up) is Fashion TV, with plenty of other international and Thai choices, so no complaints there, either.

Housekeeping: I always try housekeeping staffs' patience at hotels when I'm on holiday, as I usually am out late and tend to sleep in very late. No problem for the Met staff; they took perfect care of my room every day, replacing the multiple bottles of free drinking water, fresh fruit, and coffee supplies. As other TA reviewers have mentioned, housekeeping also provides a great evening room check and turndown service, so even if you're in your room more than you should be on holiday, all is taken care of.

Dining: One word: Nahm! This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world; exquisite Thai that is indeed a refinement of the best that the already world-class Thai cuisine has to offer. I ate dinner at Nahm twice -- getting the relative bargain of the set meal (six "mains", served all at once with perfect rice after the starter plate, with one's choice of dessert) both times. Both meals -- the first with white wine, and the second only with (lots of) Singha beer -- were among the most amazing and thrilling I've had anywhere. Do/do dine here no matter what; reservations are a must, as Nahm is often booked up weeks in advance. While I sat outside both times (during Thailand's very warm "early spring"), I was comfortable, and the candles, flowers, and view directly on the Met's mood-lit pool (separated from the dining balcony by beautiful large pots) more than made up for the indoor-dining A/C. I also ate twice at the Met's all-organic/natural restaurant Glow; I can also highly recommend their offerings (especially the BHT 795 set menu, which includes all of Glow's best dishes) and even the decor, which some have described as "clinical" or "hospital-like". I wouldn't say that; while the chairs are white plastic, they're very comfortable and stylish (kind of a updated take on 60s mod). The staff seemed rather reserved/shy, but they were fine and there when you needed them. I particularly recommend the "Liver Cleanser" juice (no alcohol) cocktail; delicious and may help at least a bit with the results of the previous night's partaking of Bangkok nightlife.

Location: The Met's right off the right end of Sathorn Rd., between Soi 1 and the newish Marriott Sathorn Vista. Not all taxi drivers know where it is, but if you tell them "Banyan Tree", they know that, and the Met's entrance is just after BT's (on the left).

I didn't use the great spa and massage services of Como Shambhala -- I used them during previous Met stays; wonderful -- but did use the pool, which is great for either just sunning or doing laps. The pool attendants are shy (but very nice, as always with Thais) and loaned me the same great Speedo swimming goggles each time I used the pool. There are food and drink menus for poolside; I had a great pad thai one day.

Staff: Most Met staff are friendly and remember you, with most (but not all) giving you a big "wai" (the Thai greeting with palms pressed together) and "Suwasdee Kha" ("welcome) whenever you return to the hotel. Nice. As others have noted, the concierge is great and will happily dispense local info. or make a reservation at a restaurant elsewhere in Bangkok for you.

I even enjoyed a conversation in the Met lobby with Jorge, Met's General Manager, and we talked about the hotel scene in Bangkok and what I thought was keeping the Met competitive with top hotels in the city.

Conclusion: I love the Met; it's a very well run hotel, and I guess it's missing half a star (4.5 as opposed to its former 5) maybe only because it no longer has a restaurant that's continuously open from early morning until late dinner hours. (But it does have a very fair 24-hour room-service menu.) In any event, it's a fine 5-star hotel in Bangkok and is very much still among my two or three favorite hotels in this hotel-rich Asian supercapital. Stay and enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear KittyChan, has been good to have you back at home after some time, really nice to see you and on behalf of all of us thanks a lot for this new visit and the very detailed review, really appreciated.
We are all happy to know you still think highly of the Metropolitan and have enjoyed this new stay, all the good things are still there plus plenty of improvements, we are very proud of our Nahm restaurant, indeed a very unique and special Thai cuisine., we will share your enthusiastic comments and compliments with the team.
Hopefully we will have you back sooner on a next visit, please let me know if we can be of any assistance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.

1,121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I love Metropolitan by COMO. I stayed here for business, and loved my stay. It's well located, the atmosphere of the hotel was amazing, and I felt at home. I especially loved the design aesthetic of the hotel which was minimalist but warm, stylish and felt very personable. The service was commendable as well, and always helpful. I took a yoga class in the morning, which is a great option to start the day with.

The breakfast selection was good - I appreciated the fact that it had healthy options, and liked the fact that it wasn't your typical huge buffet spread (which I feel is often a waste of food). You can order off a rather extensive menu, and then there's a sizeable buffet with a range of quality foods such as fruits, yogurt, pastries, juices etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sterri, thanks a lot for your visit and very kind words, it means a lot to us you have felt at home at the Metropolitan, no better compliment than that.
We have all enjoyed having you with us and look forward to welcome you back soon, we will be happy to be of assistance should you need anything from Bangkok or us.
Warm regards, Jorge Monje
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights on our first time in Bangkok. Purposely chose this hotel based on recommendation by trail finders. Was not disappointed. Travel concierge was very helpful and went the extra mile to ensure we were safe and happy. Excellent pool and gym facilities to get over long haul lights. Central for doing most anything. .thankyou for an enjoyable room and stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Chris&Debra, really happy to know you have good memories of this your first visit to Bangkok and the Metropolitan.
We will share your compliments with our concierge and all the team, on behalf of all of them thanks a lot, we have really enjoyed having you both with us.
We are sure there are many more interesting things to explore and visit in Bangkok and Thailand and would be really nice to welcome you back home very soon. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent 3 nights here. On the 6th Floor. Room size is decent and very clean. Services were very attentive - they checked our room 3 times a day to make sure everything was in order. The toiletries in the bathroom are exactly the same they used in their famous spa. Breakfast was very good. Apart from those laid out on the buffet table, you could also choose a main dish. The outdoor pool was nice. A perfect place to be after breakfast to gain some tan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear schon319, glad to know you had a good stay with us and that after a few months you still have very good memories of your stay.
We really appreciate you have taking the time to share you experience and the very good review and feedback.
Any other time you may be planning to visit Bangkok,please let us know, would love to welcome you back very soon.
Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for three nights recently as part of trip with mum. I loved the hotel's service, fitness facilities, secluded look, quiet, etc. In my case, I used the fitness facilities (jacuzzi, steam room, swimming pool, exercise room) every day which was nice because it was exceptionally well kept and not crowded at any time. The chief concierge, Weera, was exceptional. He was very informed and gave great advice and help during my stay. Hotel was great and would definitely return.

That being said couple of points to keep in mind: (1) the rooms were great except for the clock/sound system (i.e. Bose speakers but with a CD player, not iphone); (2) we once waited for 30 mins to get a cab in the morning; (3) MTR is a bit of a walk so in terms of going in and out of the hotel it's not ideal.

I think this place is great if you plan to go out once or twice a day and mostly use taxis or own transport to go in and out of the hotel. It's not great if you are looking for a seven eleven and MTR next to you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear jumeirah_queen, warm regards from all of us at the Metropolitan Bangkok, we are really grateful for your visit and have enjoyed having you and your mum with us.
We will share your compliments and very nice review with Weera and all the team, good to know they have all been helpful and of assistance.
I hope we were able to inform and explain properly, there are at least three different 7/11 close by and both MRT and Sky Train are less than 10 minutes away and very convenient especially on those peak hours where traffic might be heavier in Sathorn Road, which probably is the most fluid main road in Bangkok. Making our location ideal both for business and leisure, very peaceful and serene, but still with access to all areas of interest.
Looking forward to have you back, please let us know if we could be of assistance should you be planning to visit Bangkok again. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The review is strictly for restaurants and seminar facilities only. I was there at Metropolitan by COMO Bangkok for three day workshop. The hotel locates in the very highly traffic jam. There is the Bangkok underground - MRT not too far, but too hot to walk so I have to use taxi to get around. There is a big damp of garbage at the hotel street entrance on the main road this disturb me every day I was there.......Apart of that, Metropolitan by COMO is chic, minimal decoration, I appreciate the service of meeting event while I was there outstanding tasty Thai food at Namh Restaurant, Raw Food at lunch and receptions day by chef Dianna. This made a small meeting size 50-60 ppl very personal and the ambient, the service and food have make a remarkable event.

Room Tip: public transportaton recommend is Taxi or motorbike taxi
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear bravebarbie, greetings from us all at Metropolitan and very happy to read you have enjoyed your seminar and the Metropolitan experience.
I'm sure it would have been even nicer should you have stayed with us, looking forward to welcome you very soon.
Probably compared to Chiang Mai, Bangkok's traffic is a bit heavier, but Sathorn Road where the hotel is located is probably one of the most fluids main roads and the hotel is located 50 meters back in a very peaceful and quiet setting away from the little Bangkok daily hustles which makes us a very attractive, right in the middle of it all but yet in a very calming setting.
We have enjoyed having you all with us and the team has been really happy and proud to share the very special cuisine at offer in the hotel, from our Healthy Food at Glow to our very renowned Nahm.Thai restaurant, and the unique Raw food from our friend and guest chef Diana, wrapping up 31 days of wellness at Metropolitan.
Please let me know f we can be of any assistance, any time you might be planning to visit Bangkok, we would be delighted to have you back. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Had 2 nights here in March a really beautiful hotel we were on the 9th floor, the room was gorgeous plenty of room and the bathroom was gorgeous, had bathrobes and slippers with toiletries. Staff were very friendly the spa is really nice the only problem was the men were separated from the women, not the same sitting on your own in jacuzzi and steam room. You are only 5mins away from the mtr which makes it very easy to get around.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tillybud1962, so glad to read your very kind review it means a lot to us that you have these good memories of your trip and we are really grateful for your visit.
You are absolutely right, Metropolitan's location is really central and both skytrain and MRT are a few minutes walk away connecting us to all major areas and tourist highlights and attractions. Plenty of action within walking distance, in one of the nicest, best and most organize areas of this hectic Bangkok.
We will share your comments with all the team, specially at our COMO Shambhala Spa, with jacuzzi and steam rooms both for her and for him.
Anything you may need from Bangkok and please should you be planning to come back, let us know. Warm regards Jorge Monje.

Been to Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok? Share your experiences!