The Metropolitan is right off a main road in a business district near Lumpini Park, the subway and about a 20 minute walk to tons of shopping/nightlife options. Despite the location, it is unbelievably calm, quiet and peaceful. Not once did I hear traffic noise while I was outside by the pool or in my room. Amazing!
We arrived on a late flight and after an initial hassle with our taxi driver (always ask them to use the meter and get out of the taxi if they refuse) and some confusion trying to find the road that leads to the hotel, we walked into the beautiful, cool lobby to find ourselves checked in and escorted to our Metropolitan room within minutes. The lobby is not only beautiful, it has the most delicious smell - something like lemongrass and ginger - and immediately refreshes you the moment you walk in.
Our room was fantastic - very modern and laid out almost like a studio apartment with a big bed on one side of the room and a comfy sitting area with desk, TV, refrigerator on the other. Big windows let in plenty of light and a plate of fruit, newspaper and complimentary water were waiting for us every day. The bathroom was enormous with two sinks, a big, deep bathtub and an open shower. Loved it! We never once heard noise from the hallway or from outside so appears the rooms are well soundproofed. The bed was too hard for me so I didn't sleep well but otherwise everything about the room was great.
We used the pool and gym every day and both were glorious. The pool is huge, perfect for swimming laps and SO refreshing! The lounge chairs are really comfortable and the staff really look after you - someone was always there to help set up our chairs, give us ice water and help with anything else we needed. We ordered lunch a couple times from the pool and it always arrived quickly (and was very tasty - I recommend the pizza with rocket, prosciutto and truffle oil). The gym has nice, new equipment (including a power plates machine) and is spacious so you never feel crowded on the machines. There was plenty of water, towels, and chilled damp towels to keep us refreshed. I tried a yoga class one day - which was part of the complimentary class offerings - and really enjoyed it.
Dining was overall a good experience (see issue with breakfast below). Room service was quick and the quality of food was very high. We customized our orders a couple times and everything we asked for was spot on. We had drinks in the Met bar a couple nights and while atmosphere was lacking (to be fair, we were there around 7pm both times) the drinks were phenomenal. I particularly loved the ginger margarita. Finally, we treated ourselves to dinner at Nahm one night and it was so worth it. Every dish was really flavorful and there were so many interesting choices on the menu - it was very hard to choose!
Free wi-fi throughout the hotel was super fast and worked well from all devices.
A few tips:
- Every taxi driver we had struggled to find the hotel. There is sign on the main road but often by the time you see the sign, it's too late to turn left onto the side street where the hotel is located. We solved this by asking the drivers to take us to the Banyan Tree as most know where it is located and it's hard to miss - we could then direct them to turn in the driveway right past the Banyan Tree to get to Metropolitan.
- The MRT (subway system) is excellent. Clean, quick, air conditioned, easy to use and close to the hotel (10 minute walk).
Two small complaints:
- While the pool is great, there is a surprising lack of lounge chairs. I think there were about 8-10 chairs, which isn't nearly enough given the size of this hotel. Each day I saw people walking away from the pool because they couldn't get a seat. I like that the seats aren't taking up every inch of available space (and therefore making you feel packed in like sardines) but I think they could easily fit another 4-6 chairs around the pool without crowding anyone.
- Breakfast was unimpressive. We tried breakfast in Glow twice before giving up and just walking down to the Starbucks in the Life Center building (about a 10 minute walk) for breakfast each morning. The breakfast in Glow was overpriced - the buffet amounted to little more than some pastries, cheeses, fruit and juice that wasn't worth the price. In addition, if you ordered a la carte items, they were very tasty but you get nothing else to go with them. As an example, I ordered an omelet one morning. Based on the price I assumed it would come with something else, such as toast. But it was just one sad (albeit delicious) little omelet with absolutely nothing else on the plate. I left feeling hungry and annoyed.
Would absolutely stay here again and highly recommend to others!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok is a 169-room 5 star hotel defined by subtle, contemporary design and intuitive, polished service. The Met Bar, a stylish lounge-like bar, serves a comprehensive selection of martini cocktails with visiting live DJs. Nahm restaurant serves Thai cuisine from award-winning Australian chef David Thompson whilst glow focuses on an organic, healthful menu. Relaxation is available at COMO Shambhala Urban Escape, comprising Asian-inspired treatments, a gym, Yoga studio and outdoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Otel, Agoda, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Metropolitan Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Metropolitan Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Metropolitan Hotel