“Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok to your Saves list
Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 South Sathorn Road | Tungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night, Free Upgrade
Ranked #14 of 756 Hotels in Bangkok
Tokyo, Japan
“Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Metropolitan is right off a main road in a business district near Lumpini Park, the subway and about a 20 minute walk to tons of shopping/nightlife options. Despite the location, it is unbelievably calm, quiet and peaceful. Not once did I hear traffic noise while I was outside by the pool or in my room. Amazing!

We arrived on a late flight and after an initial hassle with our taxi driver (always ask them to use the meter and get out of the taxi if they refuse) and some confusion trying to find the road that leads to the hotel, we walked into the beautiful, cool lobby to find ourselves checked in and escorted to our Metropolitan room within minutes. The lobby is not only beautiful, it has the most delicious smell - something like lemongrass and ginger - and immediately refreshes you the moment you walk in.

Our room was fantastic - very modern and laid out almost like a studio apartment with a big bed on one side of the room and a comfy sitting area with desk, TV, refrigerator on the other. Big windows let in plenty of light and a plate of fruit, newspaper and complimentary water were waiting for us every day. The bathroom was enormous with two sinks, a big, deep bathtub and an open shower. Loved it! We never once heard noise from the hallway or from outside so appears the rooms are well soundproofed. The bed was too hard for me so I didn't sleep well but otherwise everything about the room was great.

We used the pool and gym every day and both were glorious. The pool is huge, perfect for swimming laps and SO refreshing! The lounge chairs are really comfortable and the staff really look after you - someone was always there to help set up our chairs, give us ice water and help with anything else we needed. We ordered lunch a couple times from the pool and it always arrived quickly (and was very tasty - I recommend the pizza with rocket, prosciutto and truffle oil). The gym has nice, new equipment (including a power plates machine) and is spacious so you never feel crowded on the machines. There was plenty of water, towels, and chilled damp towels to keep us refreshed. I tried a yoga class one day - which was part of the complimentary class offerings - and really enjoyed it.

Dining was overall a good experience (see issue with breakfast below). Room service was quick and the quality of food was very high. We customized our orders a couple times and everything we asked for was spot on. We had drinks in the Met bar a couple nights and while atmosphere was lacking (to be fair, we were there around 7pm both times) the drinks were phenomenal. I particularly loved the ginger margarita. Finally, we treated ourselves to dinner at Nahm one night and it was so worth it. Every dish was really flavorful and there were so many interesting choices on the menu - it was very hard to choose!

Free wi-fi throughout the hotel was super fast and worked well from all devices.

A few tips:
- Every taxi driver we had struggled to find the hotel. There is sign on the main road but often by the time you see the sign, it's too late to turn left onto the side street where the hotel is located. We solved this by asking the drivers to take us to the Banyan Tree as most know where it is located and it's hard to miss - we could then direct them to turn in the driveway right past the Banyan Tree to get to Metropolitan.
- The MRT (subway system) is excellent. Clean, quick, air conditioned, easy to use and close to the hotel (10 minute walk).

Two small complaints:
- While the pool is great, there is a surprising lack of lounge chairs. I think there were about 8-10 chairs, which isn't nearly enough given the size of this hotel. Each day I saw people walking away from the pool because they couldn't get a seat. I like that the seats aren't taking up every inch of available space (and therefore making you feel packed in like sardines) but I think they could easily fit another 4-6 chairs around the pool without crowding anyone.
- Breakfast was unimpressive. We tried breakfast in Glow twice before giving up and just walking down to the Starbucks in the Life Center building (about a 10 minute walk) for breakfast each morning. The breakfast in Glow was overpriced - the buffet amounted to little more than some pastries, cheeses, fruit and juice that wasn't worth the price. In addition, if you ordered a la carte items, they were very tasty but you get nothing else to go with them. As an example, I ordered an omelet one morning. Based on the price I assumed it would come with something else, such as toast. But it was just one sad (albeit delicious) little omelet with absolutely nothing else on the plate. I left feeling hungry and annoyed.

Would absolutely stay here again and highly recommend to others!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear T_in_Japan, warm regards from peaceful Metropolitan and bustling Bangkok, indeed a great, fun combination.
Thanks a lot for your visit and we are very grateful and appreciative of your very detailed comment and very good feedback, we are really pleased you have enjoyed your stay, facilities and service.
I'm very sorry and on behalf of all of us I would like to offer our sincere apology in regards to the inconvenience at breakfast, I'm afraid there must have been some miscommunication from our side. We honestly believe our Glow restaurant to be one of the best, most taken care of in the city, very healthy and creative, made to order and the buffet with great, fresh, items is mostly to enjoy while you wait for your a la carte order. I'm very sorry we have not been able to offer a better and true experience of what we do.
Once again I would like to thank you for your visit, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back very soon. Warm regards, Jorge Monje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Everything, from the polite welcome, to the relaxing reception area, to the huge room, to the lovely polite staff, to the pool, was fantastic.

Stroll down the approach road, and within 50m you're in a peaceful oasis of stylish modernity (which you need in a full-on city like Bangkok). We booked a Metropolitan room, which at 54 sq m was so comfortable and spacious - the bathroom was huge and so well laid out, the bed and linens were luxurious and comfortable, and (and I'm not one to normally rave about these things) but the toiletries were the most amazing, incredible-smelling I've ever experienced (this smell permeated the whole hotel and was amazing). The pool outside was huge, and so relaxing, with great poolside service, the gym was lovely - all in all a fantastic experience and we wouldn't hesitate to go back. We stayed at Siam & Siam after being here and my word it was a come down!

Didn't eat at the restaurant/have breakfast, but there is a patisserie in the French embassy 50m away which was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear MattBarcelona, greetings from bustling Bangkok, you are absolutely right, a full-on city, with plenty of flavor, culture and character.
Happy to know you have enjoyed our relaxing little corner, so close and yet so far away from it all, we have really enjoyed having you with us and really appreciate your very kind comments, glad to have you talking about linen and toiletries, he he, but yes they are very special.
We would be delighted to welcome you back, please anything you may need let me know, warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've stayed twice at this hotel and will keep coming back. The building is set back from the busy road, the feeling is quiet, cool and relaxing, the service is excellent and the facilities too. As other reviewers have mentioned the hotel is built in by other, taller hotels, so relatively limited views from the rooms (even the Deluxe room I chose for the second visit). After a day sightseeing it's a great place to come back to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Infrawolf, makes us very happy to know you think of us as a great place to come back to, we really enjoyed having you back home.
Thanks a lot for your visit and very kind review, we hope to have the chance to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards, Jorge Monje
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Although I had passed through Bangkok airport many times en route to Australia this was my first time in Bangkok. Our travel agent recommended the Metropolitan and what a great choice that was. We arrived on the Thai Airways 06:30 flight from the UK and arrived at the hotel around 08:30. To our great surprise our Metropolitan room, which was absolutely enormous complete with walk in shower, was immediately available which enabled us to take that long awaited (some would say much needed) shower and grab a couple of hours sleep before taking time out in Bangkok. The food served in the Nahm restaurant was really excellent as was breakfast in the Glow restaurant. Whilst the hotel lives in the shadow of the Banyan Tree next door, it doesn’t detract from the superb swimming pool and gym facilities available for guests. The Metropolitan is not far from the Skytrain and this is the only way to travel around Bangkok as the traffic is a nightmare. Our only disappointment, and well outside the control of the hotel management, was the fact that the weekend we chose to stay was the Elections for Governor and an alcohol ban was in force between midday Saturday until midnight Sunday so it was a very dry weekend. I would certainly recommend the Metropolitan to anyone visiting Bangkok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear JFC275, greetings from a seldom "dry" Bangkok and all of us at Metropolitan, it was really nice to have you staying with us and makes us all very happy to know you have a good time at Metropolitan, thanks a lot for your visit.
As you've mentioned bangkok lives in some kind of "friendly chaos" but it is a great, welcoming and fun city, easy to explore by sky train, subway, boat and all within very easy reach from the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back very soon, please let me know if we might be of any help, warm regards, Jorge Monje
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I visited the Metropolitan as part of my short getaway trip, the overall experience there was fantastic. I was greeted warmly by the staff there, never had the inconvenience of lugging my own luggage or waiting for people to service me. When i shown to my room, i was blown away by their meticulous services, the welcome drink & fruits was wonderful and not to mention the introduction to my room was well thought out too. My metropolitan king size room is nicely furbished, chic and sophisticated, it was huge for 2 people. Breakfast at GLOW was wonderful as well, very organic and healthy, I was well on track to start the day well. Other than the less-than-optimal location over there, it's easy to get a cab but the area there is well known to have jams throughout the day. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to bangkok.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LawrenceSiow, warm regards from all of us at Metropolitan, thanks a lot for your very kind review, we are very happy to know you have had a nice stay and enjoyed our team's service, on behalf of all of us I would like to thank you for your visit.
Definitely, Glow breakfast is a great, full of energy way to start a day working or discovering this very interesting city. I wish we would have been able to explain better, personally I think the hotel's location is fantastic, sky train and MRt are less than 10 minutes away and allow to by pass those rush hour times where traffic may be a bit heavier.
Looking forward to have you back very soon. Warm regards, Jorge Monje
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed 2 nights there. Very disappointing experience. This place does NOT deserve to be part of the COMO resorts, one of the best company in the industry. Poor service, noisy rooms, unable to book a table at their restaurant even for guests, low ceilings, wrong billing at the check-out, check-in one hour late at 3pm instead of 2pm,...Maybe I should stop there...
Compared to the Metropolitan in London or the Halkin, this place is really not at the standard.
I will continue to go to Como Resorts but will never go again at the Metropolitan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
JorgeMonje, General Manager at Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Richard P, greetings from Metropolitan Bangkok, it has been really nice to have you with us and I did enjoy meeting you personally.
Please on behalf of all of us accept our most sincere apology, I'm very sorry we have not been able to provide a better service, we really value your friendship and appreciation to our COMO Hotels and makes me really sad that we have not been to the standard you are used to and were expecting.
I'm especially sorry you were not able to experience our Nahm restaurant, I'm sure you would have really enjoyed, as you know it is a very popular restaurant, recently voted Top 3 Restaurant in Asia and Top 50 in the world, as we advice in our website, reservation confirmations, early bookings are needed as the restaurant is fully booked most nights. We did try really hard, but I do understand that 8:30 pm maybe a bit late for your dinner.Lunch is as well a very enjoyable experience and usually more accessible, again sorry we couldn't manage better.
I would have tried to help should I have know you were not happy with your room, as you can see most of our guests like them a lot, some of the largest and more luminous in the city.
You are absolutely right and again we are very sorry your room was not ready upon arrival, I was happy to know you enjoyed your lunch and was under the impression you were happy with the attention and service offered, so sorry that was not the case.
As mentioned please accept my most sincere apology, we really try our best and basically work every day to provide the best possible service and make our guests feel at home, so your comment makes me especially sad, nothing we would have liked more than to make sure you had a great stay as you are used in our COMO Hotels.
I hope you may think about giving us another chance to show you our best hospitality, please make sure to let me know on advance, happy to be of any assistance. Thanks a lot and warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I visited the Metropolitan as part of our honeymoon for four nights and it was great.
The hotel is chic and hip with clean minimalist design and a lemongrass scent throughout. We were greeted with a refreshing cup of iced tea upon arrival and shown to our room where we were met with a bottle of Prosecco, fruit platter, tea and snacks. The room itself is immense for a city hotel (metropolitan room).
The location is really good, a short walk or tuk tuk ride to the Sky Train links you with the rest of the city. The Metropolitan is surrounded by much bigger hotels (Banyan Tree etc) but being around 7 floors and only having around 70 rooms keeps the hotel feeling boutique and intimate.
The food was delicious, from breakfast to evening meals and snacks by the pool.
At breakfast the GM, Jorge came and introduced himself and congratulated us on our honeymoon. He was, along with all of the staff at the Metropolitan, incredibly attentive and could not do enough for you.
I will be recommending this hotel to anyone going to Bangkok.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Metropolitan Room. Huge room for a city hotel with walk-in shower and bathtub.