“It was nice. Not so great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok

You added Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 Oriental Avenue,Charoenkrung, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #1 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
New York City, New York
“It was nice. Not so great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was really nice. But it was a bit typical in the sense that it had a palatial lobby and a small room. The lobby will excite you and the room will just please you.
I don't mean this comment to sound negative because it's not meant to be that way but I've stayed in several of these hotels that have epic lobbies and adequate sized nice rooms.
The actual restaurant in the hotel is absolutely wonderful with a great buffet lunch. The price is pretty cheap too.
The spa was gorgeous but the actual massage was terrible. But that shouldn't reflect the spa, just the masseuse. I'm 6'3" 225 pounds. I felt like a kitty was massaging me. They lay a towel over you and massage thru the towel and the shirt and pants you wear. It just dampened her already weak hands.
But the hotel is great. Super nice and helpful staff.
It's not located near anything in walking distance really but a short cab ride will get you there. Cabs are cheap anyway.
It's easily one of the best hotels in Bangkok. Just not in a great location. But once you're inside you won't care.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I was lucky enough to stay in the Oriental as a child and came back this year for the first time as a young adult. I had magical memories of this hotel, which seems to have only gotten better with age. The service at the Oriental is seamless and the staff are so attentive that I found I never actually needed to ask for anything, as it was invariably brought to me before I even knew I wanted it.

The experience here is an accumulation of wonderful gestures from the staff to their guests. They even remembered a throwaway comment I made over drinks where I said that I thought their macaroons were the best I'd ever had, and subsequently placed a pair of them in my room (free of charge) each evening.

The unbelievable level of service offered in this hotel (not to mention the quality of the food, rooms and location) makes it feel like a home away from home.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear acbowsher

Thank you for this wonderful review of and for your continued patronage over the years! It’s really lovely to hear that you have stayed at The Oriental as a child and back this year as a young adult. I am delighted that you enjoyed our legendary Oriental service, culinary delights and signature Macarons. Thank you once again for your lovely comments and recommendation; we can’t wait to welcome you back ‘home’.

Best Regards
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I had the great fortune of visiting the Mandarin Oriental during a trip to Thailand in November and was very impressed.
The nothing is too much trouble attitude was great especially when you have your own "Butler" on each floor to assist with dry cleaning etc.
The food was simply amazing even when they catered for us at other locations.

Room Tip: Any, i'm sure there all great !
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear alsurpal

Thank you for this positive TripAdvisor review. I really appreciate your comments about our legendary Butler service and culinary delights. We we look forward to welcoming you back again to ‘La Grande Dame’ in the very near future.

Warm regards
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Superb location and facilities, extremely good staff, excellent cocktails and the dinner show with traditional dances....first class. Would always go back because of the service, they way you are treated. Overall guests are very well treated in Bangkok but this hote does one step further...you feel like a queen.

Room Tip: Always ask for the river-side room. Chao Praya river is amazing.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ubavka

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. It was a pleasure to have you visit and I am delighted to read you had a fabulous experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. Thank you as for sharing these impressive photos!

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another unforgettable stay!

Sincerely yours
Montigny-le-Bretonneux, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

My previous stay at the Oriental was back in 2003, and 11 years later I am delighted to rediscover the same perfect property. Sky level service & hard product in mint condition.

VIP welcome at the airport (1,500 Bahts) is the best I ever experienced. You actually save a huge amount of time as they take you onboard a kind of gulf car from the plane to the premium line at immigration service. Car transfer with a BMW 7 series (3,100 Bahts) is exactly what you can expect with warmness and efficiency. It took less than 45 minutes to reach the hotel in the early morning on a weekday (landing was at 5:55am).

When we arrived all staff was waiting from the doormen to the porters including the receptionist. Check-in was done in the suite which was already available despite the early hour.

We stayed in Author's Suite 'Captain Andersen' on floor 12 facing South and West so you have a view over the hotel pools and the river. Decor is tasteful, fresh flowers everywhere, with all expected amenities (TVs, DVD player, tea & coffee facilities, printer, etc.). The balcony grants you spectacular views of the city especially at sunset. Bathroom amenities are from Aqua Di Parma. Internet wifi access is complimentary and speed is fully satisfactory.

We had excellent breakfast at the Riverside Terrace every morning. Despite being a buffet the service is truly perfect. We tried the Sala Rim Naam restaurant with a traditional dance show (about 8,000 Bahts for 2 people including a glass of wine), it was nice but I would not do it a second time. We also went to the gym, equipment from Life Fitness is in very good condition, with two attendants ready to help. The Spa is great, I had excellent massage (less than 6,000 Bahts for 2 hours) and the 14 treatment rooms are very nice even if I am more used to the classic massage table which is more comfortable I think than lying on a hard surface and turning the head right or left without the 'hole'.

The pools are a great place to relax after the heat of the city; pool service is excellent and the place was seriously under-crowded which was nice for us :)

Efficient boat service to go to the Skytrain station, boat pier a few steps away from the main entrance, the location is perfect!

Overall we had a fabulous stay, I would not consider any other hotel in Bangkok. It is like the Oriental invented the definition of 'luxury service'.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cedric&Pierre

Thank you for this fantastic review of ‘La Grande Dame’. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the magical atmosphere along the River of Kings and had the opportunity to experience the legendary Captain Andersen Suite. It is indeed a pleasure reading your comments of appreciation with regards to the breakfast at the Riverside Terrace, dinner at Sala Rim Naam and soothing spa experience at The Oriental Spa. I have shared your comments with our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback on service.

When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know and I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Sincerely yours,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Overall this is a really nice hotel with a great pool for relaxing during the hot afternoons in Bangkok. The service overall was very good and the concierge did a great job arranging a tour and restaurant reservations for us. One annoying rule in the hotel, however, which I think took away from the overall quality of our stay was the no shorts or casual-wear rule after 6:30pm. Granted I understand a dress code in restaurants or bars, but enforcing it for the whole hotel seems a bit overdone in a subtropical climate with high humidity. Furthermore, after taking a jet-lag induced nap by the pool and deciding to head up to my room around 6:45pm in my then dry swim suit and t-shirt I was met by stares by the elevator security guard who curtly reminded me of the dress code…why keep the pool open if one can't return to their room in swimwear. Furthermore, one can look completely presentable in shorts and nice shirt… when its over 90 degrees out the dress code seemed to only add an undue amount of pretentiousness to an otherwise nice hotel. Finally, the restaurants were quite good as was the room-service breakfast we ordered a few times.

Room Tip: River Views Were Nice
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear IV12121

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, in particular the culinary delights and legendary Oriental service. Regarding the dress code, our guests appreciate our dress code as it contributes much to the sophisticated ambience of the hotel. We do respect this tradition and we believe to have found the right balance between promoting elegant attire at night and creating a relaxed and comfortable environment.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and when your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know and I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Yours sincerely
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

My company placed me here for one night this month and it was better than ever ....having stayed here personally 5 years ago ... The hotel is still better than ever and provided brilliant security and great limo service BMW series 7... Got me in and out of my meeting quickly and securely without showing too much fuss which was just perfect ... The food was as it should be...Brilliant and mouth watering ...the view down the river was just tremendous and I can't fault this hotel at all truly recommendable to all ...the room was just fantastic ...the staff perfect and this is true luxury ... Stay here this is place to be in Bangkok and nowhere else....highly recommended I'll be back 100% perfect for me and you...

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear LondonArtlover

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor readers. It is a delight to receive such wonderful feedback highlighting your “perfect stay” and legendary service. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok soon.

Kind Regards,
Communications Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok? Share your experiences!