Got stuck at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok after the train we were supposed to be taking to Singapore derailed. A wonderful place to be "forced" to stay! Room and its view over the river - superlative; room service - good; amenities etc - very good. Nothing significant to fault, but two slight gripes. We were told the hotel gym was the other side of the river (perhaps a shared facility with the Peninsula?) - not ideal if you just fancy a quick workout after your flight and are traveling with a gaggle of kids. And finally, tipping. Absolutely not saying that staff lingered for tips anymore than any other hotel in the world, but I do wish hotels paid their staff transparently enough that tipping wasn't expected, or more importantly in some other establishments perhaps, needed to top up salaries. That probably sounds awful - and honestly, I am a generous spirited person! But when you're traveling with 8 or 9 different currencies in your wallet and you only have large denomination bills because the bureau de change won't give you small bills, it can become slightly stressful (first-world problem, I know). It also seems unfair that front-house staff get tipped, but anyone working behind the scenes is marginalised for lack of interaction with wealthy clients. Anyway ... none of that was totally specific to the MO Bangkok, just a reflection. It's been almost 25 years since my last visit and I'd like to think it won't be 25 until the next.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, EasyToBook, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental