“Asia's true grande dame” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok

You added Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 Oriental Avenue,Charoenkrung, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #2 of 761 Hotels in Bangkok
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
“Asia's true grande dame”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Mandarin Oriental Bangkok is an institution whose character is slick and elegant yet its integrity is proven over time. As a guest, one discovers layers and facets of genuine . Each corner has its own little life and personality. It is an assemblage of cultures, excitements and intentions.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Carl G

Wow! Thank you very much for this glowing review of ‘La Grande Dame’. I am very pleased to hear your wonderful feedback and I am delighted that you had an exquisite time. Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation, we hope to welcome you back for another fantastic stay with us in the future!

Best Regards
Communications Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Yes. As everyone says here it seems to be great hotel on the first sight with long charming history and impeccable service et cetera. Once decided to enjoy this part of old charm my friend & I haven't got much to complain on the hotel until this morning when returned from breakfast. Our door was slightly opened then one of housekeepers came up right after by saying our room would be ready in a few minutes( her English was not so good but who cares, neither is mine)
Ok. We have a few minutes to spare without any problems so we took the seats in corridor and started waiting.
During our waiting the hallway was quiet busy with all butlers doing their jobs and receptionists with new guests.
We were still cool at that time although none of the famous mandarin crew recognized us being dumped in hallway.
It was a bit opposite to what I've heard from other reviews of this hotel yet we tried to remain calm.
Yes we thought it all could be because of our seating in front of lifts so all the staffs would have taken us having fun in some sort of an hide&seek with lifts themselves.
What cracked us out was when one of the receptionists came back to lifts after guiding her new guests.
No good morning to us which seemed to be quiet fair since she's ignored us when first got off from the lifts with her guests. But after a minute or two when lift's doors opened with an western girl of 7 or 8 years old inside she immediately went on good morning with a lovely eye to eye contact and it really vexed us. After having spent two nights I have to say I'm not overreacting asian with racism issue but these kinds of tiny details kept happened since our arrival somehow like a question from one well suited guy on front door "are you staying here?" at midnight when returned from diner and so on so on.
Anyway after that receptionist we realized we've been dumped there almost half an hour and told to our floor's butler who were just right in front of us but didn't noticed us until then that we'd be going down for a cigarette but this a few minutes- patience have passed our limits.

Sorry for this long story.
All I wanted to say is this.
Put your barriers not too high.
It always creeped me out when reading some reviews starting with I've been to... But yes. I've been to many nice hotels personally and I never wrote any reviews on hotels before.
Why? Because I usually enjoyed them much.

MO is a nice hotel. Don't take me wrong. I'm just saying it just is one of mere big chain accommodations. Good but nothing to fancy.

Room conditions are much better than pictures on tripadvisors.

Well actually laying on poolside now having seen what is actually happening before my eyes
I have to say this hotel is even not worth 3stars.

A greasy French-Italian speaking bunch of old guys is having lunch on tanning bed. So loud so smoking on the bed and the poolside staff ran to them welcoming without saying anything about prohibited smoking@ poolside.
I think this hotel gives a whole freedom to their regulars with stupid gold watches.
So gross so inadmissible.

• Stayed July 2014
MKBauder, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear passionpit

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to have been able to meet you in person before your departure in order to discuss your experience and to offer our heartfelt apologies.

We truly appreciate that you enjoyed the hotel overall and please rest assured that we will take the necessary corrective action to avoid any similar experiences going forward.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you properly, make amends and demonstrate our respect on another visit in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Marcus Bauder
Hotel Manager
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Had a chance to stay at the Mandarin in Bangkok just for one night. What I can say is that one night is far from being enough to experience this "dinosaur" of a hotel to the fullest. You actually need a map to understand where it starts and where it ends!! Still, i'll try my best to write an objective review of my impressions.

First off the hotel lobby is a thing of beauty (picture attached)!!! Staff are in plenty so there is always someone that can help you with whatever you need. At Check-in I had a receptionist escort me to the room to show me around. She was followed by the floor butler (they have a butler for each floor) who also offered help in anything I need. By now, it's probably clear that service wise, this place is flawless. To be honest the only flaw I had with my stay was that it was too short.

Hopefully I'll visit again some day.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guy3103

Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted to hear that you particularly appreciated the legendary ambiance of the hotel, caring service and iconic lobby. We all look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ soon.

Warm regards
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

W.hen we were in Bangkok we stopped by the Mandarin Oriental for drinks.The lobby and lounge are outstanding, pure luxury covered fresh orchids. One of the most beautiful lobbies in a hotel I have ever seen. Next time we visit Bangkok we will for sure stay in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Spike S

I am delighted to hear you had a fabulous experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok on your recent visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the outstanding lobby and legendary Oriental service. When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know; I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Warmest personal regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have been in many Mandarin Oriental hotels and the one in Bangkok is my favourite. Every single area of the hotel is beautiful, romantic and perfect. The service is amazing and the staff very kind.
It is the only hotel where I like to stay in Bangkok.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear AlbertoCrespo

What an honor to be recognized as “The Best Mandarin Oriental Hotel.” We are so glad to hear how much you and your family enjoyed the luxuries and legendary service at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and we look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ soon! Thank you for your heartfelt recommendation.

Sincerely yours
Marbella, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here about fifteen times now at all times of the year. Been there the last three January's.

The service is fantastic, the rooms are good without being fantastic but we always have the same room on the third floor overlooking the river and swimming pool.

Very classy, secluded, special place. Small criticism last January was that the Manager never said hello to us whereas certain other staff remembered us as you would expect from grande dame like this.

Room Tip: Get a room over the swimming pool or facing the river, some rooms back on to the city and are not so...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Luxurytravelmanuk

Thank you very much for a truly glowing review of ‘La Grande Dame!’ We are delighted to hear such wonderful comments about the legendary service, the rooms and the pool. Thank you very much for your continued patronage over the years and we look forward to welcoming you ‘home’ again very soon!

Warmest personal regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We've stayed at The Oriental several times, we can't help ourselves! While the hotel is true luxury, a true Five star property with a wing named for writers (which I really love). This amazing hotel has an ordinary, unpretentious way of being in the world. If you can afford the room (maybe even if you can't), you are treated as though the sun rises with your footsteps, even if you are an American sneaker-wearer, delivered to their door in a chauffeured Mercedes limo from the airport . We can only speak in superlatives when it comes to this hotel! The staff is amazing, beautiful and oh so gentle. Noses are not looked down here, they are opened to a world of splendor, of delight, of spa and wellness, of diversity. Being an early riser, I've noticed the hotel is cleaned and repaired during the darkest hours of the night. The world stops when its guests arrive. The experience makes one wonder, "How on earth is this done!" and "can it be cloned!!" Or is it the people who make this experience extraordinary?

Room Tip: All the rooms we've stayed in have been wonderful. Public spaces are magnificent.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Dottie B

Wow! Thank you very much for this glowing review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am very pleased to hear all the wonderful things you had to say about our hotel and I am delighted that you had a fantastic time. It’s great that you especially enjoyed the legendary Oriental service, culinary delights and the wellness programs at the Oriental Spa. Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation, we look forward to welcome you back ‘home’ for another exquisite stay.

Best Regards
Communications Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok? Share your experiences!