“There iris nothing like it” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Third Night
Ranked #1 of 746 hotels in Bangkok
New York City, New York
“There iris nothing like it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

This was my tenth stay at the Oriental and I was not disappointed. There is no question that this hotel sets the standard for service. The hotel has the most pleasant and caring staff that will do anything in their power to take care of you. Breakfast by the river is my favorite part of the day. The fresh fruit is heavenly. The rooms are not extraordinary unless you go for a suite but thy are clean and well kept. The rooms in the old wing are not for everyone so insist on seeing both types of rooms. 100 years later this hotel holds its own against the greatest in the world. It is a privilege to be a guest at this hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear JAR55,

Thank you for posting an excellent review about your 10th stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted that you consider us as one of the greatest hotels in the world and pleased to read that our team has consistently exceeded your expectations over the years.

Thank you for recommending our iconic hotel and we all look forward to welcoming you back for your 11th stay with us next year!

Best wishes

1,970 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Perfection is the word that comes to mind when I think of this hotel. Better rooms and fancier grounds are always available at other locales. However, no one provides better service and a better travel experience than this hotel. Flawless check in, well appointed and gracious rooms, gracious and attentive staff, incredible views. Nothing better than sitting outside by the pool and enjoying a tropical drink while the superb meets all of one's needs quietly and efficiently. The terrace serves great meals in an incredible setting that is festive and relaxed.The rooms are cleaned several times a day, supplied with fresh towels, fresh fruit, fresh amenities, fresh flowers, the list goes on and on. A must stay in while in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Engelburg, Schweiz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed in October 2012 for four nights in Bangkok. I have been in almost all of the great Hotels at the Chaophraya River

The Mandarin Oriental Bangkok is an amazing hotel and truly one of the most legendary hotels in the world.

Well, there are Hotels in Bangkok with better and larger rooms and suites and better pool areas, but they are very well equiped with WiFi and everything you expect from Mandarin Oriental. If you like the colonial-style, you will love the Hotel, if you're more into a modern-style, it won't be your cup of tea.

What makes the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok very special amongst other Hotels in Bangkok is the very good and personal service. You enjoy a perfect service at the Mandarin Oriental. Such a service is hardly to find in another hotel all over the World.

I would come back when I'm in Bangkok.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sciurus83

Thank you very much for your review and for highlighting your experiences at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and the hotel's exceptional ambiance. I am delighted that you consider us as “The Legend at the River of Kings”.

We really look forward to welcoming you back to “La Grande Dame” in the very near future.

Kind regards,
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I find the dress code a little ridiculous. Everyone was dressed up to the nines and when my other half and I were a little casual in the daytime, they moved us out of sight from the tea area to a little corner. Ridiculous.

They overcharge for wifi where other cheaper establishments provide it for free. Also ridiculous.

So, my boyfriend did not check in(we were staying for two nights and he arrived later than me), they cornered us in the lift and demanded that he hand in his passport. He did so without any fuss, but what incensed me was that the manager who cornered us in the lift said, "when he leaves later on, he can give me his passport" - what was that supposed to mean?! Especially about me? That was an completely inappropriate statement. They could have simply come up to our room and asked for it politely.

Worse, when the staff came back to return the passport, they made this comment, "Don't worry, two people price same as one person". Excuse me? Are they implying we cannot afford the cost of staying in their beloved hotel? And it's not as if we were dodging anything - we didn't know it was mandatory for all staff to check in. It's fine if they want our passport but are those comments necessary?

To their credit their butlers, check-in staff and doormen were lovely. But these people truly look at how you dress and treat you accordingly - and in our case, like they were better than us.

Worst hotel I've ever come to. Won't come back. For 15000baht a night, I'm sorry, I'm taking my money elsewhere. If you're super, super, super posh, this hotel is more than amazing, but these aren't the most genuine sort of staff I've come across.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MOBangkok, Assistant Front Office Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Ms. Lin

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and I am pleased to have had the opportunity of speaking with you to better understand the upset caused, however unintentional. We do have stringent security measures in place to protect the wellbeing of our guests but I would re-emphasize that this incident was an isolated case and does not represent the excellent standards of service and customer care with which Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok is generally associated.

I would like to reiterate my apologies and very much hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you and your companion back to “La Grande Dame” in the not too distant future. When this is the case please contact me personally so I can make the necessary arrangements on your behalf – my email address is boonlerp@mohg.com.

Sincerely
Boonlert Panvivatanatana
Assistant Front Office Manager
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed three days at the Mandarin Oriental and it was wonderful. Do not rely on the outside of the hotel that is more than trivial but inside everything is luxury, calm and voluptuousness full Bangkok. the lobby of the hotel is superb, as is the terrace for lunch, the view from the rooms on the river running a butler 24/24, the pool. Most of the hotel is definitely the service without any false note of our arrival to our departure.
The breakfast is excellent, very varied, delicious, ... The location is perfect, many boats are practical. In short, this is perfection, ideal for rest and sightseeing budget but beware, it's still quite expensive but a good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

It must be my 10th stay in this hotel. As wonderful and peaceful as the first time!
Everything was as perfect as possible. However, the Oriental Spa which is one of the best I have seen has to be avoided until the new GM residence construction is over. Apparently they are building a new section for the GM over the spa and the paint smell coming through the air conditioning is unbearable and even can bring tears to your eyes. This takes away all the otherwise wonderful aspects of the spa. I pity the staff working there as I left the place with a headache after one hour, I can't imagine what it must be working there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MOBangkok, Director of Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear IstanbulSenator1

I am very sorry indeed to learn of the disruption suffered during your visit to the Oriental Spa. There will be no further disruption, but on this occasion the work should only have been carried out overnight in order to not inconvenience our guests.

Please accept my deepest apologies and I very much hope you will come back to experience the excellent levels of service and customer care with which we are generally associated. When this is the case please contact me personally so I can make the necessary arrangements on your behalf – my email address is nartrudee@mohg.com.

In appreciation and with my warm regards
Nartrudee Bridi - Director of Spa
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

As far as larger properties and luxury-hotel chains go, we have long been ardent fans of the Mandarin Oriental brand but this grand dame topped all other MOs we have been to and never fails to deliver whenever we visit. We have been to Bangkok many times for short trips and stayed in different hotels and serviced apartments before, as we liked to always try new hotels, especially intimate boutique ones, but we still remembered and enjoyed our experiences at MO the best. Not that the other hotels were terrible – far from it, given that Thailand has some of the best service from hotels we have ever received in the world (other than Bali), but somehow, the MO here gets things right and its attention to detail is superb. This is exceptional especially when one considers that large-chain hotels are not the usual candidates which manage to deliver on this. From the moment the driver picks you up from the airport, to the hand garland you receive upon arrival, to the fresh flowers in your room, to cleaning and polishing your shoes without you asking for it, and to giving not one, but two separate birthday cards to you – one from the management and one from housekeeping – is testament that the MO Bangkok certainly knows what it is doing, and doing it very well we might add.

We have stayed in both the Garden Wing (Premier Room) and the River Wing (State Room) during our previous visits, and despite the smaller bathroom in the former, we preferred our stay there – much more intimate and nicely appointed we felt, with a grand view of the river to enjoy every day after the hustle and craziness that Bangkok is. The hotel is on the riverside and there is a quick river shuttle to the BTS (which we preferred rather than taxi to escape the traffic jams Bangkok is notoriously known for). With so many choices and competition in Bangkok’s hotel industry, this hotel as with all MOs around the world, doesn’t come cheap, especially for Bangkok standards, but to us, the hotel is worth that occasional splurge if you are looking for that something special.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Nalk

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok; and thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review in particular regarding the exceptional service provided by all the team. I am glad we were able to make you feel at home. It is great that you had the opportunity to experience both the Garden and the River wing on numerous occasions and enjoy the intimate design of the rooms and magnificent river view.

When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please do let us know so we can ensure another wonderful stay at “La Grande Dame”.

Best wishes
Communications Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok? Share your experiences!