“Lovely old world style” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 Oriental Avenue,Charoenkrung, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 4th Night
Ranked #2 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
san francisco usa
“Lovely old world style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Mandarin Oriental has a sense of history and authenticity that the competitors lack. The lobby impresses from the outset, with giant teak lanterns overhead and wildly extravagant floral arrangements. Service from doormen, to checkin to bellstaff is personal and welcoming. I prefer the garden wing rooms...which are lower in terms of overall floor, but have a full-on river view, and many have sleeping balconies. All these rooms, however, I find have smaller bathrooms where 2 people staying together fight over bathroom space and suffer somewhat cramped showers. Larger rooms in the newer tower can solve that problem. Because it's an older property, it is somewhat of a warren of hallways and spaces. It is what it is. But among those hallways are some nice shops worth some browsing time. Among the bars and eating places, I find the Author's Lounge very old-lady tea room, and not appealing. The Normandie French fine dining is impressive, and frankly the terrace restaurant and bar while casual is lovely in terms of a riverside meal with the warm breezes blowing by. I found the Terrace food so so, but the breakfast buffet perfectly adequate. Take the every 5 minutes ferry ride over to the other side of the river to the spa, or the Thai cuisine restaurant, which I found delicious. There is some construction in the pool area right now...which people may object to. Frankly, the pool is not a feature here...it is surrounded by vegetation and feels buried between buildings. As for the perennial battle between the Peninsula and the Oriental....the Peninsula has a more anonymous resort feel. The public spaces are more impressive, the terrace and pool area especially. You get a spectacular view of the river, and the pool is stunningly beautiful and open to the scenery. The bar is a pokey closet and not appealing. I find the service less welcoming. So, if standard luxury resort feeling is important to you, then go for the Penninsula. The ferries going back and forth or so frequent, one side of the river or the other isn't important. However, the food is much better at the Mandarin, and is had much more of an authentic environment, not to mention warmer service. My choice is the Mandarin.

Room Tip: I like the Garden Wing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

2,084 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Juan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Having been a visitor to this Grand Dame twice, I swore to myself I would return no longer as a visitor, but as a guest. And so my partner and I booked ourselves a room for two nights and three days to attend the South East Asian Write Awards which was held at the Royal Ballroom and to celebrate my partner's 35th birth anniversary. Arriving at the hotel by taxi, we were greeted with warm and genuine smiles and greetings, followed by offerings of fragrant flowers. We were then ushered to our room which faced the French Embassy and the famous Chao Phraya river. Upon entering, we saw our King sized bed swathed in Thai silk and bed linens that felt like it had a million thread count. It seemed like they knew why were staying at the hotel because from the moment we changed our clothes to something more comfortable, the new Executive Chef Stefan Trepp, together with an assistant and our floor butler, we were given a table of sumptuous fruits, a delicately carved Watermelon etched with our names on it, fine chocolates, French macaroons, a Dragon boat made from white chocolate, strawberries which were hand dipped in both white and milk chocolate and a chilled bottle of Champagne!
We then decided to take a dip in their two swimming pools and explore the facilities of the hotel. It was difficult to leave the hotel as there were so many activities and restaurants to experience. Their offerings continued on with more gifts, such as two birthday cakes, fresh flowers and more fruits! Our room was regularly kept clean even if we didn't ask them to make our room. Everyone knew our names and everyone treated us like VIP guests. We realized that all the guests of the hotel were treated the same way. That's what we loved about MO Bangkok, consistently impeccable service and professional care was given to all guests. This hotel truly deserves to be at the top of the list of Tripadvisor's best ranked hotel in all of Bangkok.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Robbie_Francisco

I am delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to write such an elaborate feedback. I am also pleased to know you had a wonderful anniversary celebration and our colleagues exceed your expectations throughout your stay. I will certainly share your kind words with all our team. Thank you also for capturing some great pictures of the hotel!

We really look forward to welcoming you back to “La Grande Dame” for the 4th time in the very near future.

Warm regards
Michael Nurbatlian
Communications Manager
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

- Very well maintained facility with friendly, efficient staff and top-notch service
- The check-in was easy, quick and smooth. They quickly ushered me to my room where they did the registration. Thus, I didn't have to stay long at the reception
- I was staying on 7th floor and there was even a floor butler dedicated to lead the service on that floor
- The location-by-the-river makes it really unique, charming and special. Also, it would take a boat ride to go to the gym which can be an experience in itself. However, it also means that you may have to wait for 5-10 minutes in the dock to get the boat (for a very quick 5-minute trip across the river). Hence, if you're type of the person who likes to go for a quick run at the gym right before it closes, then it can be a challenge for you. However, all you need to do is to properly time your visit to the gym (and also the gym trip can be rather challenging i fit rains or too cold outside since the boat is open)
- The boat service also takes you to the closest BTS station. I haven't tried it yet.

Overall, highly recommended to stay when you are on leisure or romantic getaway in Bangkok. However, while this hotel is still quite close from city center (e.g. Central World, MBK, etc), you would still need to rely on taxi to get around. In other more locally centralled hotel, it can be convenient to take tuk tuk, BTS or to walk due to the location. Also, I don't think there are many options to dine anywhere near the hotel.

Room Tip: My room has river view..which is great. But I think all rooms have this view. But make sure you ask...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Last December we had an opportunity to stay at one of the classics of the world - first hotel in Bangkok, celebrating its 135th anniversary - Mandarin Oriental. Check-in was painless, done in our room by an experienced person. Room, with river view, was lovely, well appointed (with little office) and with lovely personal touches that awaits guests (beautifully smelling fresh flowers on your bed, for example. Service is immaculate, Christmas tree was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and the hotel is, obviously, the place to be seen in. Every evening there were people going in and out to and from different functions held at the hotel. My only gripe - some stuff could be a bit more profficient in english but they are working on it I was told. Dinner on the river terrace is a must with plenty of boats going up and down, beautifully lit. Hotel is a must if you can afford it. It is a Grand Dame of hotel industry worldwide. Next visit to Bangkok will, surely, see us there again.

Room Tip: River view, the highest floor you can afford.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, FLorida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Once my wife and I made a plan to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary in Thailand, it was more or less a foregone conclusion that we would stay at the storied Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok. Having been aware of the fact that it is widely regarded as one of the world’s great hotels, I always hoped to be able to stay there, despite feeling a little skeptical whether any hotel could really live up to such a stellar reputation. Happily, its reputation is well deserved and the hotel did not disappoint. Aside from its beauty, history and relaxed elegance, the staff was unbelievably welcoming, genuinely friendly, gracious, kind and attentive. We could not get over the fact how many of them remembered our name during our six night stay. Several staff members made a point of inquiring how my wife was feeling once it became known that she was ill on our first day. We received the most gorgeous flower and orchid arrangements in our room each day along with beautifully presented exotic fruits. The hotel could not be more comfortable. Attentiveness to detail is no cliché when talking about the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. This is the very best managed hotel I have ever experienced. If a luxury hotel stay in Bangkok is in your future, there should be no other choice! We would gladly return.

David S. Bush
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
USA

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sidcup
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was a lovely hotel. The staff were fantastic very helpful. Would often anticipate your needs even before you ask.we absolutely loved it. The rooms were lovely and sumptuous and we always had a selection of exotic fruits in our room and selection of snacks every evening.

Room Tip: Get the room with the river view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

So, for years I travelled in and out of south east asia, Bangkok, was always my jump off spot, $5.00 night rooms up Kaw Sarn Road, then as I got a little older, and abit better budget, I'd stay ion $25.00 a night places.Oneday while I was getting off the local water taxi, I noticed the mandarin Oriental restaurant right on the water of the Chao Praya. I walkwd around to the fron, but was stopped very very politley, and told I couldn't go in with flip flops and shoulder bag (nap sack).....I get it, I resepect it........

So next time I came back to BKK, I brought a pair of Linen trousers, some nice sandles, and a light button down......I walk in, sat down on the Veranda, and a had a really good hamburger and fries ($13.00), very nicely prepared, and the view was so grand, a few beers, then go to the bathroom in the hotel, and they have these cloth napkins you can dip in the water to yourself, well, tak a few, I did....When ever in BKK, I always make this stop, and always get some nice little hand towells too....oh, take the Sky Train right there, then water taxi up to the Grand Palace

Room Tip: The won with the windows...LOL
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok? Share your experiences!