“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand China Princess

Save Saved
You added Grand China Princess to your Saves list
Grand China Princess
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   215 Yaowarat Road | Samphantawong, Bangkok 10100, Thailand   |
Ranked #358 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Dover, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I found this hotel to be in a very central location which was good for us as we were only in Bangkok for three nights. The room had air conditioning which came in very handy. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and the sheets were changed everyday. We were in the middle of the town and near to the Golden Palace which is a tourist hotspot, we were also near to the main town and all the shops were easily accesable. There were plenty of banks surrounding our hotels so changing up out money was very easy. The night markets were a 10 minute walk from the hotel and the red light district (which is worth a look for the culture shock) was a 15 minute walk. There were quite a few tailors and other shops further away from out hotel which we could get to by a 'tuk tuk' car and this was a very cheap method of transport (about £2 for a retunr journey to out hotel and visiting around 3 shops) that price also included a tip.

Bangkok is ideal for shopping. Our hotel was situated about a 10 min drive from a huge shopping mall which cost us about £1 for a return trip. The shopping mall included clothes shops, shoe shops, food stores and many other shops selling local materials and souveniers.
The hotel rooms were spacious and very clean. The bathroom was of a good size and very clean with a full length bath. Shampoo, conditoner, bubble bath and shower wash were put in the room on a daily basis also. You could have a choice of smoking or non smoking room and all rooms had a balcony. I shared with my partner and we had one double bed. Also in the room was a table and chairs, enough for 2 wardrobes each and a tv (which only had local channels). We also got a complimentery bottle of water each day.

Disabled access is available as there are lifts in the hotel and plenty of room for wheelchair access.

The hotel had three restaurants and all had a good variety of food in them although the dishes were more expensive than in the local restaurants. One of the restuarants offered Indian food, and the other Thia food. The other resturant offered different types of food on different nights. The restaurants were clean and the staff were very friendly, explaining what was in each of the dishes (this was very helpful to me as I am a vegetarian)

The staff in the hotel were very helpful, giving us directions to all the main attractions and directing us to the local people who did cheap excertions which were half the price of the ones offered by the travel company.
Our rep was excellent, taking us round the main tailors, jewellers and any other shops we showed an interest in.

When we arrived at the hotel, a porter carried out luggage to the room and didn't expect a tip (we were told they would expect a tip by other people that had been to Bangkok)
The hotel had a revolving club lounge at the very top of the building which gave impressive views all around Bangkok. The hotel also had a sky top pool, the pool was outside on a terrace and on the 16th floor so you also got very good views of Bangkok from here. The pool was small but very clean.

The hotel also had a Spa and massage palour but we found this to be more expensive than local ones

Room Tip: This hotel is in a very central location
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

313 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Despite negative remarks from quite a few people in tripadvisor, I continued to book one night at Grand China as it's very near Sampeng. I didn't make a wrong decision as the service was excellent! The staff were warm and friendly. Though the hotel looks rather old from the outside, the rooms given to us were new and modern. We stayed on the 15th floor - one family suite and one deluxe room. The windows were clean too so we could view outside. The breakfast was actually better than Glow Pratunam and has more variety. They even have a small section catered for halal food - nasi briyani, chicken hot dog and fried eggs. My family consists of my elderly parents and a toddler, so I am pretty fussy about the cleanliness of the hotel. Lawrence from the hotel was friendly and even emailed to remind me of the stay prior to our trip to there. One issue is getting a taxi around noon time. We had to wait very long. Overall, it's a good place. We shopped a lot at Sampeng so the hotel was a good respite after all that shopping!

Room Tip: Choose high floors and get the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Perth WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

At best the Grand China is just a three star hotel. It is a tired tourist hotel, located in the China Town district of Bangkok. I had a large non smoking room on the 19th floor, for four nights from 31/05.
Other then the view [looking through a very dirty window towards the Grand Palace and Wat Pho] and the flat scream tv, this room would have been ok in 1993, but in 2013 it was tired and tatty and badly in need of a renovation.
The staff were helpful and the reception staff showed the customary Thai hospitality.
The breakfast was a very basic buffet, and they do have an egg cook on duty.
This hotel is marketed towards Taiwanese and Chinese tour groups.
So if you are looking for just a three star budget tourist hotel, then this is a hotel to consider when next in BKK.
If the owners spend some money on refurbishment, I would consider staying here again in the future, but until then, I will pay a bit more, and stay somewhere else next time I am in BKK.

Room Tip: As in all asian hotels, if you do not smoke, always ask for a non smokimg room when booking, and the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Forster, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I got to this property late at night and wanted to get something to eat and go to bed. I walked into the property and was greeted by the concierge and was taken to the check in desk. The first thing i noticed walking into the hotel was a very weird smell. So weird its hard to explain. Its tolerable and not discomforting in fact you get use to it very quickly. I got checked in and got up to my room on the 15th floor. WHAT A VIEW!! the room was very spacious and was modern however the bathroom lay out was strange to me and the door did not open to a 90 degree angle so if you have mobility concerns this is not going to meet your needs. The Buffet breakfast was good. If you are going to do any tour in Bangkok i would suggest organising it before you leave your country as the tour company at this property was very expensive and I was tricked thinking I was paying a total figure for the tour however this was only for his service to drive me, I had to pay extra amounts for entry at the gates. The staff are great with helping you with Taxi's from the front of hotel however if you are looking at going into central Bangkok for shopping or something don't pay more than 100BHT as they will see a tourist and will charge a lot more for your services.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher levels to get a great view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First Things First. My Dear Ladies and Sirs, this is no princess. It was under the Dusit group, but since about a year ago, Dusit group does not manage it anymore, and the "Princess" was dropped from the name. It is now Grand China Hotel.

If I have nothing to do in Chinatown, I would not go near it. Not any decent Chinese would call it his town anymore. It is just so rundown and outright dirty.

If I need to do anything in Chinatown, I would live in a hotel elsewhere and take a taxi in and out. There is no decent hotel in Chinatown. Not the Princess or anything else.

But, if you like, dirt, smell of trash, old and not working toilet, staff that stare right into your face when you ask a question, dirty windows, and you are actually turned on by these things.... this little joint at Yaowarat is your meat.

My room was 1902. The attached photo is the open trash left at the open emergency exit. And there is no aircon in the hall way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kalgoorlie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Had fairly low expectations as this was a cheap and cheerful choice in China town, so were pleasantly surprised. Chaffer driven from airport, welcomed by the concierge while bellhop took our luggage. The staff were all friendly and helpful, providing guidance both inside and outside the hotel, speaking impeccable English. Rooms were clean and spacious, with an LCD my husband could plug his computer into (like this was sooo important on our honeymoon!) Great views of the city, from both our room and the roof top pool. At night time this turned into an oasis of fairy lights which was rather charming. Meals were great, buffet style breakfast which was a mix of east and west. Had seamstress in hotel to make clothing to your specifications, seemed to be located 5 or 10 minutes from everything that we wanted to see (ie temples, MKR shopping centre, the palace) Rooms were stylishly furnished and room service was available, and some of the staff were cheeky when you got to know them which was a delight!. For $45 per night, you can't go wrong

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My Wife, myself and son stayed at this hotel for a total of four nights this April 2013. The hotel is located in Chinatown at a major road junction and is one of the landmarks in the area due to its height. Firstly I would like to say that our experience of all the staff at the hotel was very welcoming, polite and extremely helpful. From the reception staff to the breakfast room staff they were all really nice and this made any shortcomings with the decor of the hotel bearable. The hotel room we stayed in for the first three nights was on the 19th floor and was clean, reasonably sized but quite tired looking and in need of a revamp or renovation. Everything in the room worked, it just looked as though it was last redecorated 5-6 years ago and thus looked worn out and uninspiring. The views were great, though would have been better through cleaner glass. We stayed one further night - this time on the 15th floor and the room was much better and had obviously been recently redecorated. If your are not going to be in the hotel most of the day - it's a fine hotel, just one that needs modernising on all the floors. The revolving restaurant has great views( it only revolves at night) and again the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel food was fine, particularly the breakfast which was all you could eat and good quality. The location proved to be really interesting, possibly a little far from Bangkok central but we had a great time and would return to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on 15th floor seem to be better decorated
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand China Princess? Share your experiences!