“Lovely atmosphere and very pleasant staff” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Princess Larn Luang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   269 Larn Luang Road | Pomprab, Bangkok 10100, Thailand   |
Ranked #261 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely atmosphere and very pleasant staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

We chose this hotel because our tour of Thailand departed from there the day after we arrived. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were lovely,-clean, simple decor, all the facilities you would need and a nice pool.

We went for a walk around the hotel soon after arrival and found that it wasn't really near any shops or sights, so we hired tuk tuks or taxis to get around to the livlier areas. However it was interesting to be out of the mad tourist area and to see ordinary thai families at work.

The breakfast was lovely, they offered a wide variety of asian and european foods. We ate in the Chinese restaurant one night and it was of a very high standard (although more expensive than anywhere else we ate).

The staff here really made you feel looked after and were always eager to help, polite and friendly.

• Liked — staff and pool
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

This may not be the best hotel in Bangkok but I am giving it a 5 star rating because I found nothing wrong with it. It served its purpose well which was to accomodate my wife, her sister and I during our 2 day stay to do our shopping in Bangkok. Buffet breakfast every morning was excellent, rooms were nice and tidy, staff were helpful and friendly and italian restaurant was delicious. It has internet facilities, a nice pool and a gift shop. Yes it isn't close to MBK (popular shopping centre) or the popular markets such as Khoasan Rd but I knew this before booking and the hotel does provide a free shuttle service to MBK and Patpong road daily (one way only) . Any other market will cost you no more than 70-80 Baht (AUD$2.50) to get there by taxi or tuk tuk. I notice alot of people write bad reviews because they compare it to their own country. You have to remember that some asian countries arent as fortunate as most other countries and that we take things for granted. Bangkok is a beautiful city with lovely people. Royal Princess is a perfect hotel for anyone looking for a decent valued hotel who is not worried about catching a 10-15 minute taxi/tuk tuk ride to MBK and other surrounding markets.

• Liked — service was good
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

This hotel was so out of the way. there was nothing to do in the area. it was one of those out skirt part of town. We were completely misguided. we booked with one of those agents at the airport, for whom i told repeatedly i wanted a hotel near the shopping area of sukhumwit rd, just for it to turn out to be an old hotel that smelled of mildew. the rooms were very spacious but the rug should've been thrown out years ago. the bathroom was also full of mildew and there was no water pressure. the plus side is the breakfast buffet was one of the best the food was kept very warm even for late risers like us and it was constantly being refilled so we didn't miss out on anything. the pool was also very nice. we had a train to catch at 5 pm and the hotel staff let us hang out in the pool after our check out which was super of them. still the pool and great breakfast buffet didn't help me to grade this hotel any more than just ok.

Stayed March 2007
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2007

The rooms were great and reasonably priced, the restaurant was good, the staff were friendly and helpful and the facilities were good. All in all, it is a good upper-mid range hotel.

The downside is the location. It is "central", but it is not really close to anything. Of course there are taxis and tuk-tuks, but if you like to see places by strolling around your hotel's neighbourhood, be prepared to be disappointed.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

I booked a triple room (just the ordinary type) a few weeks ahead of time. I wanted my parents, who are a bit old and had never visited Asia before, to have a comfortable arrival in Thailand.

At first, my impressions were good. I was allowed to check in at 7am even though my room was not supposed to be available until 2pm. That was good.

I think the last reviewer summed up the hotel pretty well. The rooms are spacious, but the decor is faded. The bathroom is small, but I don't care too much about that. The breakfast was excellent, but we never ate in the restaurants. They were way too expensive, I can't believe the quality of food can ever be worth 5 times what you could get in restaurants outside the hotel.

The staff at the front desk were polite and friendly and quite helpful. I was able to leave my suitcase with the hotel for about 2 weeks for free.

We had a few problems. Firstly, the air conditioning dries out the air in the room and leaves you with a dry and sore throat. Don't turn it on. Use the fans instead.

Secondly, the walls are quite thin. Luckily I'm a heavy sleeper but my Dad was kept awake by the nocturnal activities from next door.

Thirdly, when we left, we were charged 200 baht for losing the little blue velvet pouch the safe lock comes in. Later, when we found it and wanted to return it, they refused to refund us the money. That left a sour taste in the mouth.

Fourthly, the concierge outside is very irritating. He constantly would try to wheedle you into conversations, asking you where you are going, what shopping you wanted to do. I know where these conversations where heading - straight for a guided tour and/or to some shop he had a connection with.

Finally we had one experience which really maddened me. When we came to collect my suitcase at the end of my stay, we were en route to a hotel near the new airport which I booked in advance. We asked the concierge to get us a taxi, which he did. When it arrived though, the driver did not seem to know where the hotel was. The concierge said it was 80km outside the city centre, and would cost 500 baht at least to get there.

Now, this left me somewhat aghast, as I had specifically booked the hotel on the grounds that it was 15 minutes away from the aiport, according to the information I received from the booking agent. The concierge then helpfully suggested a local hotel, which he promised would be only 700 or 800 baht a night. We went there (another 50 baht on the taxi meter), only to find on arrival that it was nowhere near that price - 2300 baht.

Later I contacted the original hotel I had booked and they stated categorically they were 40km from the city centre, not 80km. I have no doubt in my mind that the concierge deliberately mislead us in order to get us to go to this other hotel (which we did not stay in). Perhaps he stood to benefit somehow.

Overall, our experience in this hotel was not that great. We stayed for two nights, but both of them were not that comfortable due to the reasons I mentioned above. The rooms are fine and clean as you would expect, and the breakfast was fantastic, but the other experiences really left us rather angry and frustrated.

• Liked — The complimentary breakfast
  • Disliked — The concierge
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Taejon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

We booked this hotel through a government-supported hotel booking service at the airport upon arrival. While the hotel has little in the way of genuine Thai ambience, its staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating, forgive the pun. The tour agency booking agents are nice, patient, and professional with exceptional English skills. The restaurant food is mediocre and overpriced but the complimentary breakfast buffet is more than adequate and well supplied right up until closing time. The lobby is rather small but cool and comfortable. The concierge is most helpful and locally informed. Deluxe rooms are non-descript. While spacious, the decor leaves much to be desired. Rooms come with a good-sized balcony where we easily dried our clothes. The bathroom is rather small and the shower lacks water pressure. The safe is first-rate but the satellite TV reception and selection is less than satisfactory. Fresh fruit greeted our arrival and glass bottled water was provided each day. For some odd reason all the furniture has those ugly sheet coverings, as if the rooms were about to be painted, but this was a minor annoyance. Our room was not noisy but was also on a higher floor at the end of the hall. The hotel is near major avenues but turned away on a side street, making most night time noises disappear. If you decide to stay, beware the scam tuk-tuk drivers that lay in wait on the sidestreet from the hotel exit.
Location to the Grand Royal Palace and museums is excellent, though you will need to hire a taxi to get there.

Stayed February 2007
Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

We stayed for 10 days in January 2007. The rooms are of a different standard to the lobby etc. The rooms are spacious and a little dated, but clean. The beds are a little hard and the bathrooms even though clean needed a little TLC. Meals are fairly cheap in the Princess café.

One must be careful when getting the concierge to get taxis etc for shopping trips, Make sure you definitely know where you want to go and emphatically tell them so. We had the concierge try to send us to “special shops” i.e his cousins! Its only 10 minutes in a taxi from the hotel to MBK and it only costs about 60 baht to get there. Kow Sein (the backpacker area) is only a 45 Baht taxi ride from the hotel as well. Bo bae markets in a 10 minute walk from the hotel and there is a 7/11 across the road for you to easily get your late night snacks or toiletries etc.

With regards to staff, we did have issues with the reception manager, she was quite rude and blunt and not interested in helping us at all, though most of the staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend staying there, though be mindful of personal security and that of your belongings.

• Liked — Rooms were airconditioned and spacious
  • Disliked — SOme of the staff...
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Royal Princess Larn Luang? Share your experiences!