“Asia Hotel Rooms Now Renovated” 4 of 5 stars

Asia Hotel Bangkok
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   296 Phayathai Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand   |
Ranked #393 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Perth, Australia
“Asia Hotel Rooms Now Renovated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We have stayed at the Asia Hotel 8 times since 2002 and found it to be a well located hotel, large rooms but needing refurbishment. During March we returned to Thailand with a group of 34 orchid enthusiasts on a 3 week trip.

First stop the Asia Hotel for 5 nights. Rooms allocated on the 9th floor and everyone was amazed with the refurbished rooms, recently decorated, flat screen TV on the wall, new carpet, a kettle now supplied to make your tea and coffee, bathroom refurbished and plenty of hot water.

Two weeks later we returned to the Asia Hotel for 3 nights, this time rooms were on the 8th floor, again renovated and a pleasure to stay in the room.

Will stay here when we return. Access to the Skytrain Station from the hotel's second floor and shopping at MBK etc only a 10 minute walk, or take the Skytrain.

• Stayed March 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

My family, composed of my spouse and I and our 2 kids ages 6 and 11 stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. It was recommended by an office mate and a business associate who is a regular in this hotel and in fact facilitated the booking.

The room given to us was spacious. It had 2 beds joined together and a roll-away bed. The room was clean except for one important thing: the air conditioning was not cool enough even when set on high. We asked that somebody check it and after some tinkering, announced that it was ok.

It wasn't ok however and we had difficulty going to sleep. If not for the late hour (it was 11:30pm), we would have requested to be moved to another room. The next day, we asked to be moved to another room. They showed us the room adjacent to ours which was smaller and asked that their maintenance guy check the air con again. They said that if they are able to fix the aircon then we wouldn't need to move again. To cut the long story short, we agreed and the aircon, though not entirely fixed, was at least cooler than before but not enough according to our high standards. Since our stuff had been laid out, we opted not to change rooms anymore.

The great things about our stay in this hotel are the good breakfast buffet selection, the proximity to the Sky Train and the excellent foot massage/foot reflexologist at the 2nd floor of the hotel.

I urge you to try the foot reflexology and to have it done by the only straight guy there. All the rest of the foot reflexologists are gay and professional (no useless talking while working on you) but I found the straight guy quite knowledgeable and I really felt a lot better after his service. The only downside is that he doesn't speak English well and had to give me a chart (in English) in order to explain the pressure points of my foot and what they represented.

Wifi is not free but you may go out of the hotel and there is an internet shop by the left side of the exit (near the shop Naraya). There is also a convenience store right next to it where you can buy water and drinks.

The best meal we had was by a roadside eatery right in front of Krung Thai Bank which is very near the hotel and near the steps of the BTS. Try their Tom Yum Soup, Fried Rice with Seafood and Fried Fish in Sweet Sour Sauce. Wish we had eaten there on our 1st night instead of our last.

The restaurants in the hotel are not bad and not too expensive.

Don't be duped into trying the restaurant Somboon Seafood which claims to have the Original Fried Curry Crab. The food is overpriced and not that great. The servers are thick-skinned and will tell you straight in your face how much tip you should give them. Our bill amounted to B 3,700 (including VAT and Service Charge) and the girl told us that we should give B 300 tip. The gall! I am referring to their restaurant number 1 at 895/6-21 Soi Chula 8, Bantadthong Rd., Wangmai, Pathumwan, Bangkok. There were a lot of tourists and they did not look too happy either.

My tip is to take the Sky Train as much as you can or get a metered taxi. There are a lot of losers out to get a quick buck from you if you let them. Taxi drivers and tuktuk drivers like to haggle a price before setting out and they always charge double. They will also try to take you to a "good" restaurant or a gem factory or a silk factory. Say no to these to prevent your trip from being ruined.

The hotel, for some reason, does not allow empty metered taxicabs up their driveway. They will try to get you to take the hotel taxi which charges an exorbitant amount whatever the distance. Just walk out by the street and hail a moving cab. Keep away from the losers waiting out by the driveway and who will refuse to turn on the meter and instead negotiate a price before taking you to your destination.

Overall, the hotel wasn't bad. Wish the people spoke better English but they were agreeable enough.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Helensburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

we have stayed here many times when in BKK & although the hotel is a bit worn, we love it because of its location. ( it is the only hotel with its own sky train station!)
This time we noticed there is some renovation underway. they seem to be doing one floor at a time.
Only gripe we have is the poor sound insulation of the windows, although this is only a problem if your room faces a main road. Try to book one of the "internal" rooms that look into the 5th floor swimming pool, or a high level floor.
Also try the "Rock" pub across the street if you like rock music! The bands know us now from visiting over the years!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

the hotel is centrally located close to pratunam MBK siam square etc. situated on metro station. bus have direct service from and to airport.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

This is my first time staying at this hotel. I booked the Triple Executive Room (no breakfast, 3 adults), 8th floor, through AsiaRooms.com, 7600baht.. The minute I arrive at the hotel, the doorman greeted us with a smile, the bellboy took our luggage and gave us a smile. Check in took about 5 minutes, the manager was friendly, the check in girl was friendly, gave us a Thai greeting and said thank you. Some reviewers complain about the "80's look", but to me, that's what unique about it, it's a colourful place, lively atmosphere. The place is full of tourists from all kinds of countries. 6 elevators available for use. The floor that I am at is not dark at all. It's clean, perfectly fine. Perhaps they are all renovated? My room is very clean, looks new, plenty of lights, no toothbrush, no toothpaste, clean sheets, clean towels, clean toilet, has electric kettle, tea, coffee, safe, minibar, window with pool view. My extra bed wasn't there when I arrive at my room. Well I don't like to complain, so I thought I'd just sleep on the carpet. 5 minutes later, we leave the room for Siam Paragon, the extra bed outside my room, ready for the staffs to assemble. The aircond "broke down" twice the first day, but was fixed immediately. Bring your winter clothing, the aircond is too cold, I couldn't find a way to set the temperature. Staff was friendly when I asked for extra pillows.I found out that Calypso cabaret is in the same hotel. I booked 3 tickets without dinner through HotelThailand.com for 1800 baht total, in contrast to the Calypso ticketing counter in the hotel lobby for 1200baht per person. It includes hotel transfer, but since we are staying at the same hotel we didn't use it. So by 7pm something there'll be a lot of tourist at the lobby, causcasians, asians. My mom enjoyed people watching in the bar, very lively, elvis impersonator singing, the organist playing some evergreen. And at the second floor, we got a fantastic foot massage, only 300-400baht. No TV, no gossips by the masseurs, no talking to each other in Thai, they are focused on their work.

The BTS Skytrain is on the second floor, about 20 steps required to go to the station. After you got your ticket, there's an escalator going up to wait for the train. However, there's no escalator going down, my mom had to walk down 2 flight of stairs. Was ok for mom, but not disabled friendly at all. (the whole bts network for that matter)

A reviewer warn us "Good luck if you stay here", and yes it was good luck to me. I would stay here again. Recommended ! PS: I only stayed in the executive room.

• Stayed February 2010
Cambridge, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

I stayed here for one night. All I wanted was a room close to the malls before I came back to the uk.

This is the most expensive hotel I stayed at in Thailand and the one I liked the least.

The room overlooked a very dirty area and the windows were filthy. The room itself was dingy, dark and dismal. I really disliked it intensly. They also took a 1000THB deposit for the minibar. I have no idea why, I dont think the whole minibar had that value in it! They only asked me in the morning if I'd used it, they didn't check, so it all seemed a bit pointless.

At chechout they offered to get a cab for me and told me it would cost 999THB including the tollroad. I walked outside and got my own cab (there were a few waiting by the road) and he didn't take the tollroad, got me there in plenty of time and it cost less than 300THB including a tip.

On the positive side, the hotel is attached to the skytrain if you want to use it, within walking distance of MBK and Siam Square and had a great breakfast selection.

I wouldn't go again - I'd find somewhere a bit more friendly and smaller.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Opole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

Excellent location. Quality of hotel for people which visiting Bangkok is enough. Breakfast are good and starts from 6. Rooms are ok. Some floors are renovated.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Asia Hotel Bangkok? Share your experiences!