“small hotel, good location” 4 of 5 stars

City Lodge Soi 19
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sukhumvit 19, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #320 of 764 Hotels in Bangkok
baroda , India
“small hotel, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

city lodge soi 19 is located just on the side of Asoke BTS sky train and besides terminal 21 mall. hence good location if you want to take local transport in bangkok. terminal 21 has many food outlets but remember all the outlets in there and around bangkok (all malls) close at 10 pm. hotel rooms are clean. bathrooms are clean. A/c works fine and have a mini bar. we did not opt for breakfast as we needed to wake up early every morning to go for temple tour and other shopping. so usually food on the go. the reception staff and others are very friendly. if you happen to book a taxi from the hotel quote them the least price you would pay as they will ask you how much you can pay. negosiation is the key with them although they have a smiling face. we only stayed two nights and most of the time we were out so cant write much about the hotel. we paid 1250 bath per night

Room Tip: all rooms face the front. view from 6th floor are good of the sky train
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
ABFrenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 19, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed our service, location and facilities and that you take the time to share this for other travellers looking for accommodation in this area. Sincerely.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This is my third time staying here. I stayed for 5 nights, then went to Cambodia, stayed here 2 more nights and then to KL. I love the location - there's a 7-11 right next door, there's the new Terminal 21 mega-mall right next door, the Skytrain and MRT are literally a 1 minute walk away (which is a major plus in the BKK heat), it's right off Sukhumvit, so you can walk right out into the street stalls and hawkers. And Soi Cowboy is right across the street, if that's your thing.

The rooms are surprisingly big, though they do vary. The bathrooms are spacious, with a shower/bathtub (which can be rare in this price range). TV, wifi, and mini-fridge. I also like that you can turn on the amber lights by the bed for some great mood lighting.

The Italian restaurant on first floor is great, if a tad pricey, but the food is excellent and the service is, too. There is also room service available, which I only used once and it was completely adequate.

Staff is polite and helpful. The A/C in my room wasn't working well one night when I got in at about 2am. I called from desk and they immediately came to look at it, and when they couldn't fix right away, moved me immediately to another room, which was actually larger suite.

CONS: As someone previously mentioned, Terminal 21 is right next door and the guy who directs traffic blows his whistle all day. Personally, I found this more amusing than anything. I mean, you're in Bangkok, in the heart of Sukhumvit - if you're expecting tranquility, you've come to the wrong part of town.
Also, the hallways are a bit run down and very stuffy. Not a big issue for me, because after all, you're not going to spend much time in hallway. But it is funny because the patio is very nice, lobby is very nice, restaurant looks very nice, then you get off the elevator and you're like - uh-oh, did I get tricked? Luckily, once you get in the room, all is fine.
Some of the views are not great. You may be looking directly at the Skytrain. But unless you want to have barbeque on the balcony, not a big deal.

Overall, this is a great place for the price. It is not a 5-star hotel. If you want that, you will pay 5 times as much at least. But I have never been disappointed here. This is a solid 3 1/2 star hotel, which can't be beat for price and location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
ABFrenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 19, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Thank you for another nice and comprehensive review. We are delighted that you have made the City Lodge your Bangkok homebase during your trip in the region. Great to be part of the trip. In addition thank you also for your feedback on the condition of the corridors. Wishing you a pleasant on-going journey.
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed here from Feb 8th to Feb 11th again on 13th Feb to 17th Feb 2012, We enjoyed everyday we stayed here with centrally located hotel location, we stayed in 6th floor & we had a magnificent view of the sky train & star hotel opposite, The rooms were pretty clean & nice & neat bathrooms, The morning breakfast was in the package. so we had good sandwich & fresh juices in breakfast, There was an Italian restaurant too which offered some discount for package members. The nightlife is also 5 min walk from this place & almost all restaurants are within 5-10 min circumference.Overall it was a Value for money staying in city lodge sukuhmit19

Room Tip: Almost all the rooms are facing the sky trains, So higher the floor the better view we get!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
ABFrenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 19, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind and comprehensive review. We are glad that our location, facilities and services contributed positively to your Amazing experience in the heart of Bangkok.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I need a place that is near to BTS and food. This hotel is literally infront of BTS Asok, 1 min walk away from Terminal 21 (nice shopping centre) with tons of food choices and 1 MRT stop away from Airport Rail.

Hotel has not much facilities, except for an ajoining Italian restaurant which I did not try.

Will stay here for its location again.

However take note that when you check-in, remind hotel that you are asking for a non-smoking room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review highlighting the advantages of our prime location on Sukhumvit Soi 19. If a non-smoking room is specifically required at the time of reservation we will do our utmost to accommodate.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed here late December 2011. Nice place. I took the premium room on the top floor. Room 701,703 and 507. Nice bathroom and good bed. Old tv but most of Thailand has old tv's. . For the money its a bargin. The rooms feel like a higher standard than what you would expect for 50 bucks a night. Clean crisp bedding and ample room to move around with a little table and chairs. Mini bar is pricey. Comes with dressing gown and slippers and a few cheap shampoos. 4 free bottles of water. Very slow lifts and wi-fi ain't bad but not the greatest if you want to watch you tube. Location is very good. Opposite a nice shopping centre and skytarin and subway.

I downgraded to a regular room 507. The diiference was very minor. no table and chairs and different blinds. I preferred the cheaper room but very little difference

If you want to stay on Suk rd but away from Nana Plaza this is the place on that budget mentioned. I actually took 2 rooms as the mother in law wanted to stay with us.

I gave the service an average rating. I don't like getting my room cleaned and found the cleaners asking why every day annoying even if they were polite.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ABFrenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 19, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your positive comments. We have also taken note of your remark about our maid's daily questioning on the room cleaning.
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Pros:

- The new Terminal 21 mall is next door and it is a wonderful place if you want to go shopping or grab a bite to eat.
- Asok BTS stop is also next door and it is very convenient if you want to go anywhere because it also intersects with the MRT.
- Breakfast was very good...fresh fruit or fruit juice everyday, along with eggs, toast or croissants, potatoes, coffee or tea. It was a lot of food!!

Cons:

- My husband and I decided to stay here after I read a review on Trip Advisor about how somebody's wife was very picky about cleanliness and for her this hotel was very clean. Let me tell you, I am very picky too and this hotel was not clean at all...especially the bathrooms. The carpet was stained, the walls were stained, etc.
- The first room we got was supposed to be "Non-Smoking" but it smelled a lot like smoke. We asked for another room and they instead gave us a "Smoking" room! The smell wasn't as bad as the first one but the room itself was awful. The tub was old and stained, the shower curtain was dirty. The walls were dirty and had some holes in them. It was bad! I had to ask for another room (again) and they decided to upgrade us.
This room was bigger and a little nicer BUT we came to find out that the bed had fleas!!!!
By this time, it was late and we had already moved twice, so we didn't complain about again...we just killed the couple fleas we saw and the next morning asked the maid to change ALL linens.
The next day we found fleas on the bed again!!! There were only a couple this time but at that point we couldn't do much about it because we couldn't cancel our reservation since we got a special promotion and paid everything in advance. We stayed here a week and we saw fleas one other time in that week. We kept asking the maid to change linens every day.
- Two of the lights in the bathroom were out and I asked the front desk to please send someone to change them. One lady at the front desk had a really bad attitude and she did not like whenever I asked for something. The worst part is that she was a "Trainee". If she is only a Trainee there and she is already taking that attitude... well let me just say that she is not made for customer service. The light bulbs were changed in the bathroom but I find out that "Someone" had also used our toilet that day. Really? Come on people!!

As you can see, our experience wasn't the best one in this hotel. We travel a lot and we never had anything like this happen to us before. We were very disappointed because we read many good reviews about this hotel on Trip Advisor.

My advice: Don't stay here. Spend a little more money and enjoy your stay in a nicer hotel. I will NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Ah! And if you want peace and quiet after a long hot day in Bangkok, you are not going to find it here. It can get very noisy any time of the day.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

we stayed here for 2 nights , we booked it through their own website on got a good deal wich included a 18.00 check out which was ideal as my mate was flying at 20.30, the hotel is a bit dated but the rooms were still very clean , the staff friendly and helpfull , the tv channels were limited but who goes to thailand to watch tv , the hotel is in a good location at the end of the soi and only minutes walk to the bst or metro stations a good value hotel for a short stop over

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to City Lodge Soi 19? Share your experiences!