“Horrendous service” 1 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 2,677 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur
“Horrendous service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

I stayed at the Amari Watergate in February 2009 and was appalled by the inept hotel staff and will never return to this hotel again. While the location and amenities provided by the Amari Watergate hotel could be considered above par, it is the service offered by the hotel employees that should be looked into.
My bad experience began when I checked out on 9 Feb. Upon receiving my bill, I was informed that I would be charged THB 513.60 for three bottles of mineral water by the receptionist, who was obviously less than proficient in English and therefore barked her answers to my queries. Even after telling her that we had only opened one bottle of water, she refused to budge and insisted that I had had more than one bottle (even though there was only 1 bottle of water provided in the room).
Several minutes into our argument, she receives a call informing her to add ANOTHER bottle of water to our bill. What must obviously have been another idiot staff member going into our room and surveying the first open bottle of water that was already charged and thinking we had opened another bottle took the cake. While I maintained that we should only be charged for one bottle, the receptionist was adamant. Not wanting to be late for my flight, I paid the charges and left. However, this bitter experience I had (and the most expensive bottle of water I have ever paid -- THB 684.80) has made me distrustful of the level of service quality at this hotel.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

exclent hotel with grate hospitalety and wonderful staff. next time in Bangkok we will come again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
santa cruz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I was disappointed with the Amari Watergate. It was hardly 5 stars as advertised. The beds were extremely hard and the room showed wear. The location is good for going to big malls but not close to the river or major tourist attractions. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location and bed
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Sussex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel in 2007 and enjoyed our stay. The bedrooms have been upgraded since then and are now really luxurious. However, disappointingly, despite being upgraded to a grande deluxe room, we didn't get the giant tv that other reviews have mentioned. Like the rubber ducks in the bathroom and the fresh orchids on the pillow at turndown. Love sitting at The Bakery for Breakfast or cakes. Only niggle is the unheated swimming pool, it really is too cold to use, how it manages to be that cold in such a hote climate I really can't fathom. The staff are generally lovely throughout the hotel. The free broadband in the lobby reminds me of the speed we had before we got broadband!

• Liked — the general luxury
  • Disliked — the freezing cold swimming pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

I stayed in another hotel near the backpackers area in Bangkok when I first arrived in Thailand, and I did not like that experience at all. So when I was by myself for an overnight in Bangkok I decided to priceline a nicer hotel in a safer area (woman alone and all that) and got the Amari Watergate. I arrived early (took the overnight horrible bus from the north) and they gave me a room before registration. It was AWESOME. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and gorgeous (who thinks a TV can ever be too big?). I ate at a restaurant the first night in the hotel that I found really reasonably priced (pad thai dinner, fresh-fruit dessert and martini all for about $20 - but I am from LA so... that is not expensive to me). It is very near the BEST movie theater and the BEST mall (Siam Paragon). And each time I got in a taxi the Amari staff would write down the taxi's # (as a safety precaution). I was super impressed by this hotel. I felt safe and taken care of the entire time. I would definitely stay there again!!!

Stayed August 2008
Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

For the last 3 years, I have been staying at the Amari Watergate Hotel, after staying in previous years in many of the best and mostly recommended hotels in Bangkok. found the service of the Amari Watergate Hotel to be the best from all other hotels I have stayed in Thailand in the past.

The staff of the Amari Watergate Hotel are very polite, helpfull and always ready to assist in every possible way. The rooms are spacious, very pleasant and have all the facilities one can wish for.

The food and the restaurants are of a very high standards and quality, and treat you with the best and most tastefull food you may think of.

For business people, the executive lounge is strongly recommended, with most efficient secretaries available to assist you in every possible way you may require.

Strongly and warmly recommended to all people and tourists visiting Bangkok.

Eddy Strod, Tel-Aviv, Israel - December 2008

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

don't expect to eat at the hotel very often due to prices. First night arrived late so ate in the 'promenade' second night trapped by monsoon rain and had italian.....both overpriced.
Hotel is very nice, good rooms,(monstrous sized tv in the room too big!) although none of them seem to be ready when guests arrive. This tends to explain people waiting in the lobby bar,( with a complimentary drink...)
swimming pool very nice but very cold water.
Location is just a bit too far from main town and taxi is needed, but these are cheap enough.

• Liked — quality of room
  • Disliked — prices and location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Amari Watergate Bangkok? Share your experiences!