“Very good stay, but stiff competition in Bangkok” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #23 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Very good stay, but stiff competition in Bangkok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed 3 nights here for meetings which were also held in the hotel.

First of all, I feel the service, the cleanliness is impeccable. The floors is so well polished i could see my own reflection. The pick up service from the airport was prompt and you do feel the 5 star service immediately.

The check in was also smooth and the staff were very friendly as well as helpful. The room, is large, but I would think by Bangkok standards, would be slightly bigger than most hotel rooms here. The design though, feels a bit dated (partially cause i think the hotel has been here for many years). It only looks dated but the condition looks tip top. I guess thats my only grumble.

The location is very good, just 100metres from a BTS station, and if you like to walk, you can reach the Siam Central, Paragon malls by foot (about 15-20 minutes slow walk). There are some local food stalls on the opposite side of the road, if you are feeling adventurous. The food sold there caters to the working class around this part of the city and the prices are cheap.

The breakfast and lunches at the Marriott Cafe was wonderful Huge spread with so many choices I didnt know what to have. The taste and the quality of the food is top notch! One of the best croissants I had for a very long time can be found here.

The gym and pool is also very nice and clean. Just sitting n by the poolside and resting with so much plants and trees is like an oasis in this bustling city.

All in all, it is a very nice place to stay in, but having been to Bangkok a few times now, I can find hotels that would give the same service and quality at a lower price. I can see why people will choose to go Marriott all over the world, but for me, not in Bangkok. I would love to continue trying out the many wonderful hotels around here in my future trips.

This place is very good, but just doesnt stand out enough for me in a city full of good and cheap hotels.

Room Tip: Higher floors and facing away from Nana Entertainment Plaza (go-go bars). You can hear the music at...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
peter c, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Boodyboy

Thank you so much for your detailed and useful review on Trip advisor. I have read your comments with much interest.

I am most grateful for the compliments you have made regarding our staff and our service levels. We take pride in taking care of our guests as we know that they will come back again and again if they were happy with their stay.

The JW Marriott Bangkok is 15 years old, indeed not the newest hotel in the city anymore. We have invested in renewing our product year after year and we continue doing so. The 40 Suites in the hotel have been renovated 2 years ago. We are currently refurbishing the 105 Executive Floor Rooms, a project which will be completed by year end.

The 300 Deluxe Rooms are scheduled for refurbishment in 2014 again. They have last been renovated 4 and 5 years ago.

Meanwhile we have just opened a new Bar, the Manhattan Bar. It is under the Management of the New York Steakhouse. The hotel now has two distinctive Bars to offer to guests and the local clientele alike - Manhattan and the Tsu Bar at the Tsu Japanese Restaurant.

I recognize that there is an exceptional choice of good hotels in Bangkok, often offering interesting package prices to discerning customers. So does the JW Marriott Bangkok. Our offers can be seen on any of the major online booking facilities.

Again, thank you for your detailed review and for the compliments, recommendations and observations.

997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just back from a business trip and this is where I stayed. This is my second trip in 3 months and surprisingly I was given the same room I used the last trip. Having this privilege, I felt at home straight away. The setting was the same as I have left it, even the daily fruit basket was the same!

Overall condition of the room was excellent and cleaned daily after I left the room and before I return after a hard day's work. A special mention to the Executive Lounge. The serviced given was above excellent. The waitresses know you by name and they remember your favourite food and drink!

Location of the hotel is great! Within walking distance to everything. If you want to head off to further locations, the nearest BTS station (Ploen Chit) is less than 5 minutes walk away.

Remember to become a Marriott Rewards member when you stay here. You will get complimentary services such as Wi-Fi and in-room high speed internet access, if memory serves me right.

Overall, it is a great place to stay for both business and pleasure with a great room, great staffs and great food, especially breakfast and freshly cooked meals at the Executive Lounge.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed repeatedly at the Marriott, and again were pleased by its central location, very good accomodations, professional and friendly staff, and excellent executive floor and amenities (gym, etc.).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ft. Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

as a frequent traveler to bangkok ive stayed in various hotels around bangkok and must say there is nothing about the hotel that makes it stand out from other hotels in terms of pricing, location or service. just a few things to point out

1. no wifi in lobby
2. have wifi in room but almost no signal and it cost $20 for 1 day use
3. room similiar size like other hotels and all similiar amenties
4. late check in occured, check in is 2pm but could not check in till 4pm
5. spa bookings require 1 - 2 day advanced booking

the stay here besides late check in and no free wifi was ok just nothing that makes it worth returning here

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Linitotx

I like to thank you for reviewing your recent stay on Trip advisor. Having read your comments it is with regret to learn that you haven't been satisfied with all aspects of your stay and I hasten to apologize to you for any inconvenience we may have caused.

I have asked our internet service provider to look into the connectivity issues you have faced. The hotel does in fact provide free wireless internet access at the Lobby and I cannot explain why this doesn't seem to have worked for your computer. Internet access is also free at the guest rooms for Marriott Rewards Members. I like to suggest for you to sign up and become a member during your next stay at any Marriott Hotel in Asia Pacific.

Meanwhile I am sorry that your room hasn't immediately been available upon arrival as the property was running full the night before. We follow a fairly relaxed check-in policy, allowing guests to immediately check into rooms upon arrival, regardless of individual arrival times. This however is only possible if rooms are indeed available at the time of check in.

I remain hopeful that you would return to the JW Marriott Bangkok again in the near future, thanking you once more for your observations and feedback.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Exceptional bar, with a wide variety of drinks and food. They have just added a wine menu with good wines at very reasonable prices, starting from 99 baht per glass for a decent Australian chardonnay. There is a tapas menu, delicious, at a very reasonable price.

The service is wonderful, the wait staff are attentive yet unobtrusive and the head chef of the hotel, Michael, is often seen speaking with guests at the bar.

I would recommend the bar for after work drinks, for introducing friends to the wonders of Thailand, for business meetings. Really great bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Wendy and Lyn

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip advisor. You are actually the first guests writing about our new Manhattan Bar and I am glad you have enjoyed the new addition to our hotel.

The Manhattan Bar is under the patronage of the New York Steakhouse and has been well received by both, the patrons of the New York Steakhouse and the hotel guests alike.

We are now running a wine/tapas promotion every night starting from THB 99.--++ per glass to introduce the Manhattan Bar to the local scene.

I am looking forward to have you back soon again and like to thank you once more for your review.

Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

As an American coming to Thailand for the first time, I felt welcome and at home at the JW Marriott. It's located centrally in Bangkok, service is great, and the people went out of their way to remember me from trip to trip, and extend many courtesies. There's an American flavor, but I enjoyed every stay there. Since then, I've found other places to stay and spend a less, but for my first or second trip to Thailand, I'd still choose the JW Marriott. Not the Marriott. That's a different hotel from the Marriott down by the river. That one might be nice, but that's a maybe. So the JW Marriott is a winner for your first or second trip to Bangkok. It's friendly, comfortable, and reasonably priced for a 5 star international hotel. Great mattresses, too.

Room Tip: Some of the double rooms are larger than others. Ask for one of the larger double rooms. I think t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at this Marriott property for many years. It remains a good choice for staying in Bangkok. The location is good. The rooms are comfortable and well-appointed. The staff are well-trained. The very best thing about this hotel is the buffet breakfast. Everything is top-quality, beautifully presented and tasty. I enjoyed a tomato and cheese omelet, hash brown potatoes, whole wheat toast with banana and passion fruit jelly, fruit with yoghurt, and finished off with fresh carrott juice, made on the spot. I was so full that I could only enjoy looking at the beautiful pastry table. So yummy looking.

Dear Sisteranderson

Thank you for your recent review on Trip advisor. It is very gratifying to read your comments on the breakfast buffet which we are providing. Recognizing that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, we have put a lot of efforts into the daily selection, always providing fresh food each morning. The freshly squeezed juices have become a favorite amongst the guest.

Thank you for the positive comments on our service and about our staff. I have gladly shared your feedback with our associates.

Looking forward to welcome your husband and you back soon again, I remain with best regards

Peter Caprez

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok? Share your experiences!