“Family holiday in style” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa

You added Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   257/1-3 Charoennakorn Rd | Samrae Thonburi, Bangkok 10600, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% Discount Stay Longer
Ranked #18 of 773 Hotels in Bangkok
Perth, Australia
“Family holiday in style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We travelled to Bangkok as a family in September 2012 for a wedding. The wedding took place at the hotel, which was why we stayed here. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful, although there are a few things to note: firstly, we were travelling with our 3 & 6 year kids, who absolutely LOVED the hotel, although for those of you who have - shall we say - very "active" children, you may want to be on your guard. The breakfast area has an outdoor seating area that is right on the river. There is a railing, but you may want to supervise your child, as if they climbed up onto the railing, they could easily fall into the river below - and when i say river, i mean THE river that flows through Bangkok! Also, there are ponds around the pool with water lilies floating in them. They look very pretty & my 3 year old (who is not a naughty child) went to have a closer look & fell in (she thought she was stepping on to grass). It wasn't above her head, but nonetheless, I would not have wanted her to swallow any of the muddy water & she got a big fright. But apart from that, thisisan absolutely wonderful hotel. The breakfast is AMAZING - you name it, they have it. The staff put bread out every morning so that hotel guests can feed the catfish in the river. They also have someone playing music, or flower arranging in the hotel lobby, which the kids loved. There is a kids club, but my two weren't that interested - there weren't any other children there, so I think they would rather be with us. We got a suite rather than two rooms (it was cheaper that way) and the bathroom was the largest I have ever seen (apart from the honeymoon suite). We had an extra bed in the room , which was enormous, but I would have preferred that the lounge area of the suite was separate to the bedroom area, that way we could have put the kids to bed without having to go to bed ourselves. The chocolate cafe was sooo yummy, but quite expensive (not surprising, really). The boat across the river was really handy and much faster than travelling any other way. All in all, a magnificent place to stay, although if you want to be in the heart of things,then this isn't for you. It took quite a while to get to any of the major shopping centres.

Room Tip: Lovely rooms, if staying as a family with children,I would go for the connecting rooms rather than t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Anantara Rivserside for five nights and I must say it was the most enjoyable time. The room in the newer part of the hotel was pure luxury. When I first arrived I was put in a room with a partial view of the river in the older section of the hotel, the room was clean and okay, but I wanted full view of the river and a more modern room. I was told that the room package I choose although it said river view, actually was for a partial river view. I thought that was a little misleading but I blame that on Expedia. The front desk, was able to upgrade me without a hassle but I did have to pay a few dollars more for the newer room. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly with a good knowledge of the English language. The hotel is away from the noise of the city but close enough to go to the city within 15 minutes. The only complaint I have, and I would not call it exactly a complaint but the Spa although wonderful was a little more expensive than I had planned to spend considering you can go to many Spas in Thailand and pay less than almost $200.00. The breakfast buffet was excellent and they gave you a lot for the money. There was a wide variety of food to choose from and the food was definitely good. The different choices of restaurants was also a plus as after spending all day in the hot sun and moving about the city, it was a welcome pleasure to have a pick of restaurants right in my hotel. I found the snacks and drinks in the room refrigerator to be extremely expensive but I guess its the same in most hotels. What I also loved about the hotel was the beautiful gardens and the pool was delightful. The ferry every 15 minutes to and from the city was also a big plus. I have to say, I will definitely come back to the Anantara the next time I visit Thailand it was better than I could ask for.

Room Tip: Make sure if you want riverview its in the newer section and says full view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Anantara is a nice hotel at the river to unwind. This was my second stay and I can definately recommend it wouthout reservation. The rooms are nice. So is the pool area with its flowers and palm trees, which make you forget your are in a city like Bangkok. The SPA is nicce but rather expensive!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Having stayed at Anantara in Hua Hin previously, we chose them again for our week in Bangkok. As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the resort. Our room (junior suite) was spacious and well appointed. My husband especially liked the double basins in the bathroom. The pool is delightful to swim and splash about in as a respite from the Bangkok heat and humidity. The service and attentiveness of the staff was outstanding which we have come to expect from Anantara. Breakfast buffet has an amazing variety of freshly cooked pastries, eggs, meats and Asian dishes to choose from. And the toaster actually worked properly!! We had opportunity to eat in the resort at Brio & Trader Vic's and the food at both restaurants was wonderful. Our only issue was with housekeeping. On three nights, our water in the fridge was not replenished and on two nights, we were left with no face cloths. No biggie, just annoying. Oh, and I hated the pillows but slept okay most nights. Air con was a bit noisy at night but we turned the fan down and it was ok. All in all, Riverside is exactly what we have come to expect from Anantara - friendly, efficient, excellent service & just a lovely relaxing place to stay. Yes, we'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you want to be away from the chaos of central Bangkok, then Anantara is the place to stay. My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights in absolute luxury. We initially booked a Junior Suite but because of a noisy air conditioner, we were moved to an Anantara Suite at no extra cost - now that is how you treat guests!! The free water taxi meant easy access to Asiatique and the sky train into the city and the cold towels handed out to passengers by the taxi staff was another 1st class treatment for Anantara guests. Loved the gardens, pool, restaurants - everything.

Room Tip: Corner room with river & city views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed my stay very much in this hotel. It is pretty big and takes a while to get used to it but there are directions to guide you along. I have broken down my review into the pros and cons so that it would be easier for you to read.
Pros:
-The staff is extremely polite. They would greet you every time you walk past them and they would put on a (very genuine, i would say) smile as well. Not to forget, their command of English was pretty good, considering that English is not their first language.
-The room that i stayed in (room 472), was quite spacious and the bed was so comfortable!
-There is a light directly on top of your room door so that you can look for your keys at night. I hate it when the hotel hallways are dim and i am unable to find my keys/card to enter my room.
-I love the fact that you can escape the bustle and hustle of the city. The resort felt like a small, private island on its own.
-There was a variety of food provided for breakfast. They do change certain items on different days so that was nice.
-The food quality was good. Not the best but of a somewhat 5 star quality type.
-The dining options in the hotel are plenty. You can experience live Cuban music at Trader Vic's, watch some amazing food 'kungfu" (as i would call it) action at Benhima and much more!
-There is some sort of a thai dance in the pool at around 6pm. You should swim there at that time because it really is an eye opener. There are also pretty lights for you to soak up the atmosphere.
-The duty manager was very responsible. My mum ran into some problems and had to be sent to the hospital. The duty manager informed the emergency ward beforehand and they were ready when my mum reached the hospital. The duty manager was also kind enough to send my mother some flowers.
Cons:
-When tasked to do certain things, for example; to bring extra toiletries and water to my room, I had to wait quite a while for the task to be completed.
-They provide only 4 bottles of drinking water. It seems a lot but the drinking bottles should be used to brush your teeth as well. For a family, I felt like the bottles given were not enough and we had to buy back some on our own.
-It was very far from the city. It takes 15 min to travel by boat from the hotel to the skytrain. It will take approximately another 30 min to reach to Siam station. which is the central of Bangkok.
-It was difficult to find places to eat. The dining options near the hotel was limited and it was hard to find Thai cuisine. The resturants/food courts near the hotel sell mostly Western or non-Thai food which was not what we wanted

Overall, I felt that my stay here was pretty enjoyable, however, it was like any other 5 star hotel and does not stand out from the rest, unfortunately for me.

Room Tip: Opt for a swimming pool view. Our riverside view came with only a glimpse of the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

At first...could hardly believe my eyes.the anantara is in fact an oasis in the chaos that Bangkok can be known to be!a REAL resort in the heart of the city what do u know!
Fantastic setting by the river.you might want to check into the main building as cargo view from the riverside blocks(only by day)can be a sore.great accesibility to Asiatique,which i found to be charming-a vehicle-free,quaint entertainment & shopping zone right across the river,perfect for people like me who don't want to bother stepping out much.The spa is fantastic!serene!!!soon became a ritual!
trader vic's will keep you well fuelled for the evenings with this fantastic Cubano band theyve got at the moment.
I simply loved the sprawling structure of the hotel with nooks & corners to eat,read & be at.bars& coffee houses at various levels.their Número UNO Cafe was a complete hit with my kids as they'd run down each time for yet another treat.Brilliant Thai hospitality,as always:)they work towards making your trip pleasurable & well understand that not everybody coming to Bangkok wants to shop till they drop.
...did I mention breakfast was a vast smorgasbord!a close match to the Sheraton riverside buffet breakfast,only much grander.Would come back here in a blink when can!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!