“Wonderful Stay....just Love it !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa

You added Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   257/1-3 Charoennakorn Rd | Samrae Thonburi, Bangkok 10600, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #19 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
Rio de Janeiro
“Wonderful Stay....just Love it !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stay at Marriot Spa Hotel on the River last May at my trip to Bangkok, the hotel is just great, service is fantastic and even that is away from the City, they provide free boat ride to the city all day an till mid night. The restaurant with all 5 Asian food is just great ! The service offered by the people are wonderful, the Thai people are very kind and warm. I recommend this hotel for all family specialy and couples who want a nice stay in Bangkok. But even alone I have a fantastic time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I made a reservation for my anniversary and I got confirmation to get Deluxe River View with the best river view in the hotel (because of the anniversary thing). Besides, they confirmed to set up a room with complimentary anniversary cake waiting in the room.

On the check-in date. Took 15 mins to checking-in. No helps with the luggage. And turned out, they said they gonna upgrade us to the junior suite complimentarily... When we got into the room, it looks ok but it's located on the 3rd fl and it's like the the other side of the building so NO river view at all which I was told that the other wing of the building is renovating so this is what I get. Moreover, no cake or even the set up for the anniversary!!!

• Stayed June 2011
mtracey, Hotel Manager at Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear Nubmolly
Thank you for your comments. All feedback is taken seriously and I would like the opportunuity to make personal contact with you. Please dont hesitate to contact me on mtracey@minornet.com.
Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
Best Regards
Melissa Tracey
Hotel Manager
South Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

This is a gorgeous resort. The service is impeccable. The rooms are nice and fairly roomy. I had a bathtub in my bathroom, which is a big deal in a Thai resort. But I’m not sure I would stay here again. I will say, though, that if this hotel was anywhere but Thailand, I would almost definitely be a repeat customer. The problem is that the prices this hotel charges are exorbitant by Thai standards. In my mind, anyone who utilizes the spa at the outrageous prices it charges is just silly. The same exact services can be had for literally a tenth of the price if one is willing to put in the effort and go into the city, which I agree defeats the purpose of staying at a spa resort, but I just don’t understand why anyone would pay those prices in good consciousness with so many spas in Thailand that practically give away comparable services. I also paid more for breakfast at this resort than I paid to eat for three full days, drinks included, at Patong Beach in Phuket, which is known to be one of the pricier resort areas in Thailand. The breakfast buffet is excellent; but, again, the resort I stayed at in Phuket included a very similar buffet in the price of the room. So I felt that for Marriott to be charging what it does for a breakfast that other hotels offer for free was highway robbery. Tons of affordable food—at prices one would expect to pay in Thailand--is to be had if you venture from the resort into the city, which brings me to the second major flaw with this resort.

When it comes to Thailand, Marriott seems to have a knack for building absolutely stunning resorts that are far from everything. This one is no exception. It sits in a neighborhood without much to offer outside of the resort. A free shuttle boat is provided to the Central Pier in the city, where one can transfer to either the sky train or a shuttle boat. But it’s a 15-20 minute ride and only runs every half hour. Once in the city, one has to fight the crowds, heat, and traffic of Bangkok, which I realize is part of the Bangkok experience, but having an affordable option on the property would have been nice for meals when I just wanted peace, quiet, and convenience. One usually goes to a resort to relax, but with only ridiculously expensive restaurants on the property, eating became a big production everyday, which is a problem because it's something one usually does multiple times daily. This is obviously a resort designed for Westerners who are used to paying Western prices and are expecting to pay Western prices, regardless of where they are. In a way, this really put me off, because I feel like Marriott is taking advantage of guests who, because of the resort’s location, are a nearly captive audience.

Bottom line: If you are a Westerner who doesn't mind paying through the nose regardless of alternative options or location, then this resort is an excellent choice. You will not be disappointed. If you're anticipating taking advantage of the great value that Thailand can be, however, this is not the resort for you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

if you r planning an event at this hotel then dont even think about it. the management is non cooperative and rude. in spite of a written contract they backed out at last minute creating a loss of face for us.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Marriott Bangkok Resort and Spa on a number of occasions and we absolutely love it. The delicate smell of lemongrass that hits me as I walk through the door never ceases to put the biggest smile on my face.

The resort is not in the centre of town, but for us, that's part of it's charm, as you're only a short boat ride (complimentary) away from the wonderful madness of Bangkok.

We always upgrade to the Executive Club at the resort, which we feel is good value. We generally stay here with friends, so the early evening drinks are a nice way to start the evening and catch up with them before we 'hit the town'.

The spa facilities are very good and I have used them on a regular basis.

We always go to Trader Vic's for the Sunday lunch, which has become an absolute tradition for us. This is such a treat and the buffet is incredibly impressive. In addition, we also love the Elephant Bar, which is located by the river . We've had some really good food there too. I adore sitting by the river of an evening, watching the world go by. In fact, I could quite happily not leave the resort at all.

One of my favourite hotels. We'll be back there next year.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

The hotel is an oasis, with a feeling of a beach resort in the middle of the city.
I usually stay at Marriott hotels when travelling for work so picked this one out of habit and although I am really impressed by the hotel amenities and rooms, not so much with the taxi company they use and the concierge's knowledge on what the city has to offer.
The hotel is quite far out from the main attractions so they provide a shuttle boat service (every 30 mins) or a local taxi. The boat is a good experience if you are going anywhere near the pier - the sky train is expensive when compared to the cost of a taxi ride. However, beware of the taxi drivers: twice they left us in the middle of nowhere and as they barely speak English (and we do not speak Thai) we never understood quite why.
The concierge recommended us an area to go out on Saturday night where there was nothing to do so not impressed with them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Kaysville, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I absolutely loved my trip to Bangkok last year. But I'm certain that there are better hotels than the Marriott in town. It is a beautiful property, with great amenities, but its location is a bit far off the beaten path. There is a free river shuttle that will take you to the train across the river, but you may appreciate the convenience of a hotel closer to the city center.

The rooms could stand an update, the bedding and TV were a bit outdated. The breakfast buffet at the hotel had a great selection of items, one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had. I didn't dine at the hotel for dinner, because there are so many economical options in town, or in the shopping center next door.

Tip: the shopping center next to the hotel has great goods, including inexpensive Thai massage, great Thai and Chinese food, tailors, and even souvenirs. The Thai people are so warm and friendly, that you will have good experiences where ever you go.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.