Stayed at the Centara Grand again, for convenience of easy and fast access to my working location and because I overall like the hotel.
Recently, the hotel introduced a loyalty card, named 'Centara The 1 Card' loyalty program.
There was even a picture in the Bangkok Post on February 22nd.
As I stayed and probably will stay for a significant amount of time, I decided to sign up for it as the perks looked promising.
However, the reality unfortunately is sobering.
First, the staff at the reception was not familiar with some basic details. I was told that I will only earn points if I make the reservation from their own hotel website. According to the T&C, you earn double points if you do that but still get points if you book via other agencies. Maybe it doesn't earn points for special pre-paid rates with some online providers but this would be nothing unusual as other hotels/airlines also don't give points for highly discounted rates.
So I entered all the information required, received the confirmation link and 'excitedly' clicked on it.
I received an error message 'Account has been actived or the link is not available!'. Just to clarify, not my words, it’s copied from the website..
I tried to logon to the website using my userid and password that I had created but got another error message 'Your membership account is inactive. Please contact the Centara 1 Card Membership Team at email@example.com for assistance.'
As I was checking out the same day, I asked the receptionist. She made a call and told me to try again a few hours later. My points would still be credited.
That was on 26h of February!
I tried a few times again within the next few days but still got the same errors.
I followed up with a feedback directly on their website but never got a response.
The last email I sent was on 3rd of March to the email address provided in the error message (firstname.lastname@example.org) but 5 days later still have not gotten any reply.
The error is still the same on 8th of March as it was on 26th of February.
The hotel appears to enjoy a very good occupancy rate, which means it does not need such a loyalty program as customers usually come back to it as first choice anyway when staying/working in that area (like I did already several times over the last few months).
However, if such a program is introduced, it should be supported fully and whole heartedly, which is obviously not the case.
My recommendation therefore is, do not waste your time on trying to sign up. Unless you intend to spend a lot or stay very often, save your time and enjoy the amenities and the food or the shopping opportunities instead.
It is disappointing though in relation to the very good standard that this hotel offers otherwise.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Centara Grand Bangkok Hotel
- Sofitel Centara Grand Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Accor Centara Grand Bangkok
- Sofitel Bangkok
- Bangkok Sofitel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in downtown Bangkok, this luxury hotel is close to the Bangkok Convention Center, plentiful shopping opportunities and provides the perfect setting for business, leisure and relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Fastbooking, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Olotels, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.