“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
15%OFF w/Breakfast
Ranked #170 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Makati City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the good reviews in TA so once again, the latter did not disappoint. As many have mentioned, it's greatest asset is its location. It's in the midst of the shopping district, lots of restos nearby and just a block away from the Siam BTS station. But the hotel itself has its own merits: our standard room was satisfactory, clean and everything worked like a charm. The staff were all courteous and helpful and the buffet breakfast had a wide variety -- Western, Asian, halal. There were Apple Mac desktops at the lobby where one can use the internet for 20 mins. free. When I had to check in for my flight online, the Business Center let me use their printer to print out my boarding pass, and although there was a sign that says there was a charge for page, they let me print me for free.

The downsides: Wifi was free albeit slooow but that was probably because many users were logged on; while our non-smoking room indeed did not have any smoky odor, our bath towels had slight scent of cigarette. I guess the laundry service of the hotel (or any hotel for that matter) does not sort out which towels come from smoking or non-smoking sections. Beds in Asian hotels tend to be firm and the one in my room was no exception but I found mine to be more firm than average. On the other hand, the pillows were big and fluffy but when you lay your head on them, they are too soft that you feel like you have no pillow at all.

Overall however, I was quite satisfied with this hotel and should I be back in Bangkok anytime in the future I'd be glad to check in here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
QMR, General Manager at Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear bobpal,
It was a pleasure welcoming you and thank you for taking time to share your experience with fellow travelers. Both your positive and constructive comments are greatly appreciated. While I am glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and location I’ve also noted your remarks on areas to improve. I apologize for any discomfort and inconvenience caused. I thank you for choosing us, and look forward to serving you on a return visit to Bangkok..
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

From the very beginning of our stay we realised this hotel wasn't at all four star and the staff also had no respect for customers what so ever. We booked 2 rooms at least 6 months before our stay and obviously as we were 2 couples travelling together we expected our rooms to be together.

When we got there half an hour after check in time we were advised that only one room was ready (which didn't make much sense as they knew we were coming). We all went to the one room which was meant to be roomy and have a king size bed, which we paid extra for as we have one at home and wanted to be comfortable, the bed however was only a double. An hour later we called reception slightly annoyed asking for the second room as we had been on a long flight and just wanted to get out and explore the city. The reply was that they had a room on the 18th floor which was over 5 floors apart from the floor the first room was on.

We asked about having a room at least on the same floor as or first room and they said there were none. So we got ready to leave to our room on the 18th floor when we got a call saying they had conveniently found us a room on the same floor as our first room and brought up the key. We get into our room and the bed is so incredibly hard there was no way either of us could sleep on it (and I can sleep anywhere!) we tell reception this and they said they would send someone to look at it. Half an hour later we call back asking what was going on as we wanted to unpack and get comfortable. They sent a lady from housekeeping up with a bag of blankets to try and fix it, she couldn't speak any english which made it impossible to communicate with her, so again we call reception (and this is 2 and half hours after we should of been checked in) and they just giggle and laugh at how upset I am. Finally they bring up a key for a room on the 10th floor which was still 2 floors away from our first room. It stunk of chemical products but the bed was better so we just unpacked and went down to see if we could see the manager about how the staff dealt with the situation so horribly and if we could get some kind of discount for the 3 hours all up trying to get in a decent room which we paid for. The manager was also very rude and basically told us to leave and that we were wasting our time. The service at this hotel is the worst I have ever come across and there needs to be some serious improvement if they still want to keep their customers. I have told every one I know about it as many of my friends and family go to Bangkok and I am sure they will tell their friends and family the same thing. Word gets out and being rude to a customer can cost you many.

Overall the con's completely out do the pro's.

Pro's
- great location
- good assortment of food at breakfast
- the house keeping staff (even though they know little english) are amazing and will help in anyway possible

Con's
- the staff are incredibly rude and unaccomodating
- the pool doesn't have a deep end
- everything at the hotel is insanely expensive i.e laundry, eating at the restaurant, room service ect
- there is a lot of false advertising (ie we paid extra for our room to have a king size bed which turned out to be a double)
- there is very little space for your things ie cupboards and drawers throughout the room

I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
QMR, General Manager at Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Sofie F,
It was a great disappointment to learn of the frustrations and inconvenience encountered during your recent visit. I appreciate the detailed commentary, however, as it was helpful in tracking the many points at which we could and should have performed better.On behalf of the entire team, I offer a sincere apology, and no excuses.
Though your scepticism is warranted, we likewise enjoy many positive comments regarding our service and hospitality. We clearly fell far short on this occasion, but I would be happy for the opportunity to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact me directly should you decide to try us again, as I assure you every effort will be made to win back your confidence.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Good location.. Right in the heart of Siam, shopping paradise is just a walk away.. I could walk to Platinum mall from the hotel.. Great workout from eating the awesome chicken wings that were just behind the hotel! Had a terrible experience with hotel reception. Guessed it was some system error, couldnt get the rooms that I booked, only got the rooms on the 2nd night. Totally ruined my first night for the trip. Breakfast was alright, the restaurant was kinda small, if you are late, be prepared to queue..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Xanthe T,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our central location. I am in search of the chicken wings you mentioned! I apologize, however, for the disappointment with the rooms on the first night.I appreciate your patience with the matter, and hope I can make it up to you on a future visit. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you again soon.
Frederikssund
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We chose this hotel due to the location on Siam Square where all the big shopping centers are located. This was a great decision as it only took a short five minutes walk to get into the big malls. This way we did'nt need to take taxies or the sky train during our stay to get around, very nice!
The room was big, nice and clean, so we were very satisfied. We will go there again next time we come to Bangkok.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michael_Sundet,
Thank you for choosing our hotel as your preferred address in Bangkok. I am glad you enjoyed our central location, and also pleased to see your flattering comments about the hotel. We look forward to your return.
David Baldwin

Been to Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square? Share your experiences!