“perfect place for dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Bangkok, Thailand
“perfect place for dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

highly recommended. great french touch in heart of BANGKOK
the weekly specials are always a good surprise.
nice selection of wine and the food always tasty.

Visited February 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Noisy and Kind of Impersonal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Basically there is nothing wrong ...its just a mediocre bistro that was put together rather quickly to resemble a Paris establishment with obvious "marche aux puces" copy artifacts nailed to the walls a stone floor which resonates every sound and results in a football stadium decibel count although quite comfortable seating . All in all the food wasn't bad but there wasn't anything that I will remember past tomorrow...and my group was in agreement...except for the charming and attentive waitresses .The menu is standard French bistro fare which included my goats cheese salad which was awful in almost every respect , my boudin noir which was over cooked although, in fairness, accompanied by mashed potatoes which were delicious. Desert wise my floating islands was one lonely island in a watery substance they called custard . The steaks around the table were just "OK" according to our group as were the other dishes and nobody, including me, when the bill was presented at approximately THB1,200 a head with beer not wine, thought there was ant semblance of value for money. It would have to be a rainy day in soi 11 with me standing just outside to ever get me back in there again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
chez pape c, Owner at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Sir

We would like to back on your review post on the 13th of February.

As a mediocre bistro owner I would like to answer as a mediocre comment you have done on TA.

You were seating on table 5, five peoples all together (2 ladies and 3 men) later on when the table next to you checked the bill I decided to join the table (for 4) to make sure you will be comfortable for 5 peoples seating on tables for 8.

Your bill all together was 6 856 Baht which is 1371.2 Baht per head (if we consider that the two ladies ate only 1 appetizer and dessert) and your order was:

- 1 cream brulee
- 1 chocolate mousse
- 1 café gourmand (3 miniature dessert and a coffee espresso)
- 1 pork chop
- 1 onion soup
- 1 salad goat cheese
- 1 stuffed egg plant
- 3 foie gras
- 1 duck breast
- 1 black pudding
- 1 grilled rib eye
- Crème anglaise (flotting island) and no custard as mentioned ………
- 1 lemon soda
- 3 mineral water
- 3 heineken
- 2 orange juices
- 3 Singha beer
- 1 latte coffee
- 1 expresso

(If you need the copy of the bill we can send to you anytime.)

Sir if you consider that it’s too expensive for appetizers, main courses, dessert, drinks and coffee in a city like Bangkok really we don’t know how to make it cheaper, by the way if you have an address where you can get 3 courses including “foie gras”, drinks and coffee cheapest than we are we will be very happy to know it.

About our black pudding over cooked you should be very very starving because nothing was left in you plate and make my chef very happy to see the plate back empty like this, thank you for that.

About the noises we don’t know if you ever have been in a Bistro in France but on the main things in bistro is the hubbub, in case you are looking for a quiet place we will recommend you to go in a fine dinning restaurant and not a bistro.

Thank you for nice comment about our waitresses they deserve it as working hard every day.

Any way we really hope it will rain soon in soi 11 and get the chance to see you again and we will try next time to get cheaper price, better black pudding and of course to be sure no noise disturb our customers.

Best regards

Dunfermline
“Sandy -Dunfermline- A Bit Pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We decided to eat here based on reviews we had read. My wife & I both opted for a steak (rib eye) which was very tasty but a bit grisly for our liking. it was served with dauphin a potatoes and disappointingly some lettuce - no vegetables.There was a choice of peppercorn sauce or red wine & Challot sauce to go with it. We enjoy good wine & opted for a Medoc which was on offer for 1700 baht (approx £34)per bottle. I finished off with a dessert. total cost 4000 baht.

We enjoyed the meal but felt it was a it expensive for what we got.

Visited February 2013
chez pape c, Propriétaire at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your review on TA.
We would like first to come back on your review about the rib eye.
We think a misunderstanding occur during your order.

Our Rib eye steak or Chateaubriand is serving with a choice of sauce as:
- Shallot sauce
- Green pepper sauce
- Blue cheese sauce
- Parsley butter
There is no Wine sauce choice; wine sauce is done only for the “coq au vin” (chicken in red wine sauce).

Our meat can be served with a choice of:
- Potato gratin (Dauphinois gratin)
- French fries
- Sautéed potato
- Mashed potatoes
- Vegetables

For the wine we just would like to inform you that in Thailand the taxes on the wine is 398 percent which make the price of the wine much higher that what you can found in Europe, and the wine you had order was a Bordeaux Saint Emilion “Cru bourgeois”(1790 Baht++) and with our experience the price you have paid for that kind of wine is a real good deal in Thailand.

We hope one day to have low taxes in Thailand like you can found in the neighboring country like Laos or Cambodia when there are no taxes on the wine.

Best Regards

Owner and manager
“Embarrassing...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

When a customer complains about a rib eye that is over 60% fat - Take it back! Or take it from the bill. Or offer an alternative dish...
DON"T stand there complaining about A)your chef and B) your new butcher, embarassing both yourself and your customers - and then leave the dish on the bill!!!???? Some of the most unproffessional treatment I have ever had at a restaurant!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dear Sir

We would like to back on your review.

As the owner of the place I would like to apology about your unsatisfied experience in our place.
I would appreciate if that day I have been called by you to fix this situation.

1) Because I am very confident in my Chef I wouldn’t complained about my chef because the rib eye was too fat for you,
2) Because I would take the responsibility of the quality or not and not complain from our butcher.
3) Because I would found a solution for the bill and make sure you would leave our place satisfied.

One more time I apology on behalf the restaurant but in the future I will advise you to call the owner or the manager if you have any complain it will help you and the restaurant to make sure you leave the place satisfied.

Best Regards

Owner
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Unsatisfying”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The was a place that was rated good on TA, but I didn't get why. The menu sounded fantastic, with all the french classical dishes as foie gras terrine, cassoulet, steak tartare etc. We've had the foie gras terrine for starters, the cassoulet and steak tartare for main. The starter was poor. the foie gras had not been marinated or seasoned probably and it all tasted very bland. it was accompanied by a mango marmalade but there was so little of it, you could't hardly taste it. A balsamic vinaigrette reduction was drawn on the plate and was completely meaningless. Bread was not homemade end the butter served with it was bland. I was disappointed, but I thought to my self, it's not often I come across a good terrine de foie gras. I had ordered the cassoulet for main and my wife ordered steak tartare, both good solid and simple french dishes. But again the cassoulet was under seasoned, it came with a duck confit, which I would've preferred to been taken of the bone before serving. Also a sausage and a chunk of smoky bacon that was far from crisp and with skin (YUM). It al tasted of nothing and I didn't bother to finish, and I'm a chef!!! My wife's tartare was decent, but no more. A tartare is originally scraped from the tenderloin, but in most kitchens today it i minced. This one was hand chopped, and it was so roughly that it was indelicate. A tartare is also suppose to have a little bite to it, from either cayenne pepper or tabasco, this was no where to be tasted. Nor salt and pepper or for that matter the cognac.

As mentioned above I'm a trained chef with french experience, and I know how these things should be prepared, and this was just so far away from good french food. I wouldn't comeback. Sorry.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
chez pape c, Owner at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Sir

On behalf of the team of Chez Pape we would like to back on your review done on TA few days ago.

About the foie gras we are very surprised that our way to cook it didn’t satisfied you but it still our best sell as an appetizer which in a way make it not so bad as you said, for your information the foie gras is marinated for 24 hours before to be cooked.

Concerning the bread as you said: “the bread was not home made” we are sorry but we are running a restaurant and not a bakery we would love to make it by our self but we don’t have the structure and the staff to do it.

For the cassoulet, we are surprised as the same way as the foie gras because this item is one the 3rd best sell as a main course and if it was so disappointed our restaurant would be empty for a long time already.
For your information if you never been to south west of France you won’t get a cassoulet without bone with the duck it will be considered as a sacrilege.

And concerning the last point about the beef tartar you should know as Chef that originally in France it was cut with a knife which is a proper BRAND and not minced as you have noticed in your review.
If this can help you to increase your knowledge about the way to make a traditional tartar we invite you to read those two links under:

Or you can even have a look on wikipedia, where you can see that the tartar originally was cut by knife and not with a mince machine.
By the way, Cognac, Tabasco and pepper are used with the other spices when we prepare it.

Anyway we hope you will give us another chance to make you appreciate our cuisines.

Regards