“Truly the absolute best of the best - consistently blown away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Siam

You added The Siam to your Saves list
The Siam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3/2 Khao Road | Vachirapayabal, Dusit, Bangkok 10300, Thailand   |
Ranked #8 of 778 Hotels in Bangkok
Brisbane, Australia
“Truly the absolute best of the best - consistently blown away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've been super-excited about writing this review ever since we left The Siam last week!

It's simply a matter of knowing where to start....well the central point is that this place absolutely knocked our socks off. It's fantastic. This was my sixth trip to Thailand, and the first for my partner. On previous trips, I've stayed in some generic five star high rise in or around the central area of Bangers, and so I chose this place partly due to its location mercifully slightly away from all that madness. With the shuttle boat, it's still easy getting in and out of the CBD.

I had reallllly high expectations for this place, due to the photos and reviews, and it was even better than I hoped. We were more serene in this urban oasis than where we stayed down south on Koh Racha!! (PS - never stay at The Racha in southern Thailand. I found both hotels on slh.com and they are POLES apart. Go there if you like resorts that were lovely back in 2005 and if you are also really into noisy Chinese families with multiple children...to each their own..).

The minute you arrive at The Siam, the staff attention is so disarmingly warm and personal and genuine. We had four nights at the start of the trip and then two at the end when we returned from the south. The butler service - impeccable. Ours even unpacked our suitcases!

We stayed in a Courtyard Pool Villa for the first four nights which was just breathtaking.

Something about the wonderful service - during our three week holiday, the Aussie dollar took a nosedive which was brutal for any Aussie travelling at the time! So while down south, I emailed The Siam about two days prior to our return and asked if it might be possible to downgrade our room type to a Mae Nam Suite for the final two nights. Obviously, you feel a bit embarrassed doing that and wondered if they'd allow us to do so and whether they'd be shirty about it.....they got back to us seamlessly and swiftly, confirming this was absolutely possible and making the arrangements just like that. When we returned, it was like we were family coming back home!! So many staff remembered us and we felt so special! They remembered that my boyfriend is obsessed with mangosteen and ordered some especially to the room each day and also to breakfast each morning (yeh...really loves it).

Just read the scathing review about Jason, the general manager - while I wasn't so unco as to fall off any of the beautiful chairs and injure myself I CAN say that Jason introduced himself to us and was really friendly and we were impressed with him. For the Aussies reading this, he last worked at the beautiful Qualia resort on Hamilton Island, which we stayed at last year! He's clearly doing something right - both places are absolute stand outs.

The a la carte breakfast was sensational. Like another reviewer said, we often felt like we were almost the only guests the place was so relaxed and quiet! If you're thinking of staying, even the entry level Siam Suite is breathtaking (my little sister stayed in one for the first four nights we spent there). The Mae Nam and Riverview Suites are more or less the same, except the latter is one floor higher so clearly gets riverviews. It's slightly larger too though we checked one out and it was hard to tell the difference.

The place is like a museum...you could easily spent hours walking around looking at things! The gym is probably the best hotel gym I've seen for its size, and the spa is also possibly the best I've seen in asia, and I've seen a lot. The food is animated-discussion good. A Thai princess (the 20-something daughter of the crown prince, I believe) was dining there one night!

Our experience ended as it began - both on arrival for our first stay and on departure for our second stay, 4-5 staff came down to the driveway and waved and greeted/farewelled us warmly. We were devastated to leave but cannot wait to return. Do yourself a favour and go there immediately. To The Siam - thank you such a tremendous stay and see you next time.

That is all :)

Room Tip: Even the Siam Suites are breathtaking and huge. The Mae Nam and Riverview Suites are very similar (a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We chose the Siam because of the beautiful design and more peaceful location than many of the more central luxury hotels. The boat service to the city sites was excellent as was our kind butler. We visited in March 2013 and felt like the only couple in the hotel - did not see any other guests on site! The gorgeous architecture and landscaping, with carefully curated antiques punctuating the interior was the best part of this place. You feel like you are staying in an elegant Thai mansion.
While the spa design was equally beautiful, I didn't feel the massage was that great compared to service experienced at other Asian spas. I was also disappointed to find no flowers (not even one orchid amongst the millions nearby) in the room. While the black and white decor is very chic, it was missing that pop of color and warmth that a live flower can bring to a room.
But the wonderful cooking class is definitely worth it. We loved the personal treatment, taking the tuk-tuk to the local market with the chef, learning about the Thai produce and cooking in the open-air kitchen. The artistic welcome drink while we watched the chef teaching us our first course, and the cute little booklet of recipes and apron we got to take home were just icing on the cake! I would recommend staying at The Siam.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

"One of the best hotels in Bangkok for combining contemporary style and authentic Thai accents. The 39 rooms mix wooden paneled walls, monochrome color schemes and antiques. It is situated on the banks of the Chao Praya river which provides a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. The Pool Villa Riverview are some of the best, which combine the riverside views of a Riverview Suite with a private pool (the only private pool villas in Bangkok).
Obviously, you want great Thai food in Bangkok, and Chon Thai Restaurant serves some of the best I tasted during my visit. I was so impressed that I also booked into one of their cookery lessons so I could recreate their regional dishes once I returned home! That’s not the only opportunity to immerse yourself in local culture, either - the hotel also has Tai Chi, Yoga and a fully equipped Muay Thai boxing ring with tuition available at all levels. Great for a city break that feels personal and authentic to Thai culture, while remaining a top-notch hotel service- and design-wise.”

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have never written a review for TripAdvisor, but my recent stay at The Siam was so impeccably amazing, that I must spread the news!

Everything was amazing, I could not pick a single fault.

The boat shuttle is brilliant - why sit in the smelly Bangkok streets in a cab when you can get taken by boat to the BTS stop!

The spa is the best spa in Bangkok, without a doubt.

The butler service is the best idea ever! Our butler was Jill, and we loved him to bits! Also great as a translator if you don't speak Thai - no need to worry about things getting lost in translation when your butler can do the talking for you!

The restaurant was fantastic. The breakfast menu was the best breakfast I've ever had in any hotel around the world. We tried so hard to try everything on the menu, but we couldn't get through it all. Oh well, another reason to come back!

The giftshop was beautiful. The gym - Oh WOW! Best hotel gym ever!

And to top it all off, when we left the hotel, the whole staff (that served us during our stay) all lined up and waved us goodbye when we left - I actually cried as I said goodbye - I didn't want to leave!

HIGHLY recommend. Would definitely go back, again and again. Great job guys!

Room Tip: Sometimes mosquitos when at restaurant/bar due to proximity to river. However they provided mosquit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

First of all, I rarely write reviews at all regarding my experiences with staying in hotels but my shocking experience in The Siam is something which I need to share and warn any future travelers who are thinking of staying here.

On 12 July 2013, Within 1 hour of just having checked into this hotel, I was injured because I fell off a broken chair in the room and I was admitted into hospital and was diagnosed with a sprained wrist. Upon examining the chair, I realized there was a wheel missing but this defect was not apparent to the eye before I sat on it. I do not understand why the hotel will allow a defective chair to be placed in a room without doing checks and due diligence as an occupier and disregarded the safety risks it posed to its guests!

Whilst most of the hotel staff were very attentive to me after the accident, including Ms. Nantiya Rattanawai, the Financial Controller of the hotel and the hotel’s security guard, who called the ambulance for me and arrange ice for me to put on my wrist, I was really disgusted and repelled by the most irresponsible attitude and insensitive tone of Mr. Jason M. Friedman, the General Manager of the hotel.

Mr. Friedman expressed no sincerity and did not even apologize for the terrible incident that I have encountered. I met with him after I returned from the hospital and he was very insensitive and throughout the whole conversation, raising his voice at me. His words suggested that the hotel will not pay for any of the medical expenses and in fact Mr. Friedman muttered something about the hotel not being liable under insurance policy. As a result, I had to bare my own medical and X-ray expenses which I incurred at the Phyathai Hospital which amounted to THB7,751. It is even more amusing when Mr. Friedman then started telling me that he has legal background and has knowledge about the law in this area and his said words to the effect that he is of the opinion that the hotel is not liable to pay my medical expenses. Mr. Friedman then raised his voice and said to me along the lines that he has been in the hotel industry for a very long time and he said he knows what I’m trying to do here. I view that remark as outrageous and even defamatory because in my view, I do understand what he means when he says he knows what I’m trying to do here. I’m just lost for words. I asked Mr. Friedman how he can explain why the chair is defective and missing a wheel in the first place, and not only does he not have an answer, he did not even offer an apology at all! He then stood up and left the room saying he refused to talk to me anymore and he will talk to me next day morning. I have never seen such an appalling way of dealing with customer’s dissatisfaction. I really wonder whether Mr. Friedman has been properly trained to deal with customer complaints despite the fact that he said to me he has been in the hotel industry for many years. Mr. Friedman is certainly the most irresponsible and unreasonable general manager I’ve ever encountered in my life! This has got to be the worst experience I’ve ever had in a hotel which supposedly pride itself in excellence. I will never be back to this hotel because I have lost complete trust and confidence in its services.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-Jason, General Manager at The Siam, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We are in contact with this guest privately concerning this review. It is our policy not to comment on the private behavior of guests in public forums.

If you have questions or concerns about The Siam, because of this review, please contact me directly.

Jason M. Friedman
The Siam
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I initially booked a Riverview Pool Villa for a single night stay in order to see firsthand this amazing new additional to the wealth of amazing hotels within Bangkok. So good is this property that one night turned into several! It's actually hard to write a review on this property without it sounding like a PR team wrote it :-) From the museum quality public areas, private cinema, first-class spa and gym, lap pool and restaurant offerings, The Siam has it all. Backed by a quality staff who will go to great lengths to ensure your every need is met, this hotel has to be on everyone's list to stay in Bangkok.

If you have a day to spare when visiting this city, start off with a sleep-in in the amazing bed, then a lazy dip in your private courtyard pool, a long casual breakfast, explore the myriad collectables around the property, lunch, hit the gym, take a muay thai lesson, work out the kinks at the spa, watch a movie in the cinema, settle in on the mezzanine level of your villa to watch the sun set over the river, dinner at Chon and finally settle in on the dock for evening drinks. A great day done and you haven't even needed to leave the property!! Congratulations to the Sukosol family for another great example for all hoteliers.

Room Tip: Riverview Pool Villas are the best pick
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The building itself is impressive - it is new and modern with an Art Deco and traditional Thai twist. It also feels a bit like a museum with antiques all over the hotel displayed in style. The room is beautiful, large, modern, high ceiling with a Thai style look roof.

As for service, I was supposed to be picked up from the Mandarin by boat but they didn't come and told me to wait another 1.45 hours. I ended up going by taxi. They managed to redeem themselves with the excellent service over next couple of days , including giving me a complimentary massage to compensate. The Spa is beautiful and the muay thai massage very good. The butler service was excellent - I couldn't find kettle and coffee in the room and they delivered an espresso machine, I asked for sewing kit to sew back a button and they offered to do it for me.

I would not recommend this hotel for first timers to Bangkok. It is far away and not close to BTS. But if u want to chill in a stylish hotel and stay away from the crowd, it is perfect. The swimming pool is a bit small though. It is a lap pool that fits 2 ppl doing laps but it's a boutique hotel and not crowded at all. The Thai restaurant was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Siam? Share your experiences!