“One of the most beautifully designed hotels I've stayed in.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Siam

Save Saved
You added The Siam to your Saves list
The Siam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3/2 Khao Road | Vachirapayabal, Dusit, Bangkok 10300, Thailand   |
Ranked #5 of 755 hotels in Bangkok
Muscat, Oman
“One of the most beautifully designed hotels I've stayed in.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We are staying at The Siam for four days and even though our stay hasn't ended, I am compelled to write this review. It is rare that a place has so thoroughly moved me. It's by far one of the most stunningly designed hotels I've stayed in. The details in every corner of every space is intricately thought of. There are objects from all over Asia that are scattered everywhere. A place like this can only be built by owners who truly love what they are doing. Bravo to both the designers and owners. I am impressed and that's a rarity.

• Stayed December 2012

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I just came from a 2-night stay in a Pool Villa at the brand-spanking new boutique hotel in Dusit, Bangkok - The Siam. Absolutely fabulous. Greeted on arrival by the GM, Jason Friedman, and his staff. The architecture is stunning, combining ultra-modern design elements with traditional wooden Thai buildings brought from Ayutthaya by the famous expat Jim Thompson. The hotel is liberally decorated with amazing antiques from the owner's private collection. The restaurant, Chon, resides in the old Thai buildings portion of the complex, while the rooms are in the modern style. My pool villa was secluded, and reached through a pair of old wooden Thai doors that opened onto a private courtyard. A small plunge pool with fountains and jets was most welcome on the searing Bangkok days. A spiral staircase led up to an arbored roof-level deck with lounge chairs that provided a glimpse of the Chao Phraya river, although admittedly not a particularly interesting portion of this water highway. From the lower courtyard, a pair of heavy wood sliding doors gave access to the interior of the villa. Stunning 20-ft ceilings throughout, and beautiful antiques mixed with more modern furnishings. The raised bed was superbly comfy. An intermediate dressing room led into the cavernous bath, with separate rooms for the toilet and shower and 10-ft hanging mirrors over the twin copper sinks. Old Thai photographs graced the walls. Each villa has a personal butler, well-trained by the experienced Head Butler North, whom I had overlapped with during a previous stay at Six Senses Sanctuary a few years ago; it was nice to catch up on news of old friends. Anything one wished was a simple phone call away - I decided to take a trip to see the Grand Palace, down the river a ways; my butler Khun Wit arranged for the hotel boat to drop me off and pick me up from Tha Chang pier, adjacent to the palace. Couldn't be easier. I needed some massage work done on my shoulder (from carrying my 20+ pound camera backpack) - a Thai massage with herbal compress done excellently at the downstairs Opium Spa. The food was uniformly excellent, although I stuck to the Thai menu. One morning was spent at Head Chef Blair Mathieson's Thai cooking class - a morning trip to a local market by tuk-tuk with him, where he explained the various things to be found there and the foods they get used in, and then on to a one-on-one class with the hotel's Thai chef, Oil. I was taught to make three Thai dishes, then we enjoyed the fruits of our labors by sitting down for lunch. An experience not to be missed. Every member of the staff was helpful and friendly.

An absolutely wonderful experience - not a single quibble, let alone problem. Deserves at least 6 stars!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Great hotel. Fantastic service. What a fabulous design hotel. A little far from the main sites with very little to do but a great little getaway from the hassle of Bangkok. Restaurant Chon is wonderful. Beautifully prepared thai dishes and interesting cocktails. A definite visit

Room Tip: Hotel may do better by providing free shuttle to Bangkok central. A little far from everything. Not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in a riverview room in Sept 2012. It is a lovely new hotel that strives to provide a high level of service and excellent food in a beautiful and unique setting. This is not your standard hotel. The main building is reminiscent of a1940's Colonial style black and white home. At the back of the main building are a series of villa type rooms. Our room enjoyed a second floor balcony with a view up and down the river- delightful at night- when Bangkok always looks a bit prettier! We enjoyed drinks on the dock in the evening and a terrific lunch in the Thai style house on the property. Love the kitschy 1940's style decor and the music- Chattanooga Choo Choo was playing while we ate lunch- so cute! Food and drinks were tasty- service unobtrusive yet attentive. The only downside to our experience was the time it took to wade through Bangkok's notorious traffic to get to the central area. Had the river been open (closed because the royal family was cruising the river) the night we were there, I am told we could have taken a boat and avoided the traffic altogether. Regardless, we would happily go back to this little gem in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have just spent 2 nights at the Siam and Rae it one of the best hotels I've visited. Service was flawless and very friendly. Rooms are large and really well appointed. We used the hotel limo both evenings. Used the pool, spa/massage and ate in for breakfast. The hotel arranged for a long tail boat to take us on a river cruise and had beers on ice in the boat and gin and tonics waiting at the dock when we arrived back. Will return and use this as my base whenever in BKK

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

On our 3rd visit to bkk, we found this hotel through he slh.com website! After our flight from Amsterdam we're picked up by the hotel driver from the airport, which secures you with a hassle free arrival to the hotel.

Being very warmly welcomed by the front office staff, and than the butler with the inroom check in is very comfortable. The hotel is just gorgious; the decorum modern luxury with decorations of a rich historical past...

When it comes to the looks this hotel certainly has the wow factor we look for while traveling!

The old traditional thai houses in the riverfront with the restaurant is fabulous, quality of the food, the kitchen staff & waiters...

Writing this on a sunbed at the riverside next to the pool of the hotel, I could ask myself...Need anything else???

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Rarely do I give such high scores to a property. The hotel is first rate, overseen by our 2 butlers, Vit and North, and the restaurant was fabulous thanks to Nat. I loved the location of our room 101, the F&B options, the private taxis on the water, the Spa options (except: no reflexology!) and more. I think that the hotel being up and out of the way far makes up for the extra time it takes to persuade a taxi driver to make the journey. Contact me for any specifics.

Room Tip: Room 101 is our favorite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Siam? Share your experiences!