“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Skyy Hotel

Save Saved
You added Skyy Hotel to your Saves list
Skyy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88/8 Sukhumvit Soi 1,Sukhumvit Road | Klongtoey-Nua,Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #233 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Selangor, Malaysia
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The rooms are clean and the hotel is pretty quaint.
It's quite far down the soi so taxi drivers won't really know where it is due to the fact that it is still pretty new.

It's really near Bumrungrad Hospital if you are in town to go there.

Staff are fairly pleasant.
The nearest BTS is about a 5-10 minute walk and the night life is not far away either but you can get a quiet nights rest at this hotel without the noise from Nana.

There were baby roaches though.. not something we liked seeing, but it is Bangkok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SKYY Hotel S, Manager at Skyy Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. Our property has a very strict pest control policy. We contract a very experienced company to come in every month to spray the building and rooms against all pests. Our housekeeping staff uses an organic biodegradable insect repellent daily. We hope to see you again soon.

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Hotel itself is what you pay for. Clean, tidy with modern rooms. Hot water tends to cycle so its constantly hot/tepid/hot/tepid. Location is walking distance to the skyrail and almost on top of Bumrungrad Hospital. No pool. We felt the reception staff (one girl in particular) let the hotel down - she almost came off as snide which is a first for me in Bangkok! Also the breakfast is not what I have come to expect in Thailand. Western option very limited with no cereal, no yoghurt, no bacon (OMG), no beans and no fresh eggs cooked for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Overall this was a very nice hotel, the rooms where comfortable, nicely decorated, great bathrooms & lighting with big TV. Good Location especially if you are in town to visit Bumrungrad Hospital as it is next door and no more then a 2 minute walk from your front door.

I would attempt to stay at this hotel again, but they really could improve a few things to make this a great hotel. First off, the Reception is on the 2nd floor, if you don't know that you may be stuck outside trying to figure it out for a while. The Reception staff is NOT friendly. I could barely get them to look at me when I was interacting with them. Not a great first Impression.. If Management is reading this.. I friendly smile can go a long way! Also you can not even get to the ground floor on the Elevator with out your Keycard... That is way to extreme of security... If you need to get out of the hotel in a Emergency I think this should not need your Key Card to get to the ground floor to exit the building.

The Hot Water would cycle hot and cold about every 30 seconds, I have never seen this before, very strange. That should be fixed. Other then that.. this hotel has a nice atmosphere, nice rooms and good location. It is also very quite which is pretty important to me for a good night sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SKYY Hotel S, Manager at Skyy Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you Mr. Dustin for your comments, we will use it to improve our services. We are happy to inform that the hot water system has been over hauled and is now working perfectly. With regards to requiring a keycard to access the elevator to the 1st floor, this is in place only for the security of our guests. Standard procedure in case of fire state that elevators should not be used, and our property has 2 independent stairwells that are easily accessible for such a situation. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and hope to have the pleasure to serve you again.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Nice Hotel...tucked away on a dead end street. The room was nice the staff was nice. The breakfast was good. Cabs are outside...make sure they turn on the meter. No pool. Most people come here for the hospital around the corner. This hotel is in the middle of a regular working class neighborhood. If you want glitz and glamour then go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My cab driver had some troubles finding this hotel at first, but after I told him it is behind Bumrungrad Hospital, he knew right away.

This is a fairly new hotel converted from what I would guess as local multi storey residential. I was quite happy with the room I was given - situated on the highest floor with balcony, working hot shower, big and comfy bed and I must also say it is quite trendy to my liking.

The hotel is situated at the end of the street hence getting a cab can be a little problem for the time I needed to head to the airport (the hotel can arrange a cab for you except they will usually tell you a flat rate to pay the cab driver rather than going with meter). Most of the other times I walked to the MRT station, which is about 10 minutes away.

If you are looking for full fledged hotel with facilities such as fitness room, business centre, swimming pool etc this is NOT it. This is a decently priced basic hotel that will cater for a good night sleep.

Room Tip: It is true that the receptions speak very little English, hence speak slower and use basic English.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I never got fail by Tripadvisor. However, this time TA's review failed me. Skyy Hotel, with its motto, "Skyy is our limit", in fact I need to be careful with TA review now.

We have just back from Bangkok for 3 days medical trips in order to accompany my daughter take minor surgery at Bumrungrad Hospital, Bangkok. Initially we planned to stay 3 nights at hotel close to the hospital. After reading the review, It seemed good deal since this hotel only cost us $90/night, compare to its higher rate counterpart, Best Western and Ariyasomvilla.

First impression, it was budget hotel that try to impress us. The front office was terrible. With limited English, she took 20 minute to get my key rooms ready. But, any how, we finally got our key, room and extra bed.

The room were small, amenities were OK, cheap design hotel that try to impress with 20 inch flat Samsung TV, Ipod docking, and dvd player. Mini bar is appreciated. But "used slippers" never been appreciated at all. The room at 6th floor, owned the balcony, facing hotel frontage.

No fitness facility, No swimming pool, only have salon and Thai massage pallor attached to hotel at ground fl.

Since it is a dead-end road, no easy to get taxi. Most of taxi was a standby taxi, who parked its car waiting its prey. It is a fact that taxi in Bangkok is notorious try to tout you, especially the one that parked and stand by close to the hotel.

The disaster started when we took bath. The hot water was not 'exist'. Read no exist. We reported to Front Office ( they have no Manager, I guess ), then they sent technician. Instead of fixing, he tried to teach me how to use the strange faucet. It was strange one, but, we could manage it. It was not how to operate the faucet, it was a fact that no hot water at room 604.

So, we didn't have a hot water till morning. They couldn't able to resolve it.
Next day, we complaint back, instead of fixing the hot water problem, they put on sticker how to use the tap water. I feel like they blamed me for not able to operate their strange faucet.

To add more drama, the fire alarm buzzed false at 3 am morning. I woke up and thought I was dream at my college dormitory having a night fire drill in the middle of winter night. Finally, we found it was a false alarm.

In the morning at 10 am, suddenly Air con was off. I called the front office, and she told me she will turn it on from lobby. (?). They could switch the AC, apparently.

With all this problem, we requested check out instead of stay 3 nights, if they can't resolve our problem. The front office allowed me to check out with 1 night penalty, since I have booked for 3 nights.

Hmmm, what a peace resolution. Then, we wrote letter to Management. And found the management was not exist. No apology, no say hello.

Because all this problem, They offered me to move to 3rd floor, I refused it. Since I don't like low floor room due to its noise of street hawker and cars. Instead, I requested a higher floor. But then silent again.. No hello, no call.

Finally, we decided to stay another night here, for the seek of short distance to hospital and avoiding penalty.

Finally, we checked out at the second day. Then moved to InterContinental Bangkok, ( Traveler choice 2012 in Bangkok for luxury ) to repent my sin to choose the wrong hotel,

I learn one more time the old word wisdom "you get what you pay". Budget hotel is what budget management does. Mediocre management can't be substituted by flat tv, cheap docking, decorated bath room and so on.

Room Tip: Room with balcony facing hotel frontage is better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize if our shortcomings caused you distress, especially since this feeling must have been amplified due to the medical reason of your visit. We looked into each of your comments with great consideration. We are happy to inform that the hot water situation has been physically re-hauled and is now working perfectly. Ours is a new property and we have had teething problems, happily but gradually these are being sorted out. Your comments have also pinpointed many of the service issues that we are improving on.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

as expected. Hot water too hi-tech. Not "cold" and 'hot' taps as conventional, but "water pressure" and "water temperature". Once we figured it out, it was all fine. Small compact to the point. New and clean. Bathroom and the bed are the things of this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Skyy Hotel? Share your experiences!