“Nice and quiet place with good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“Nice and quiet place with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Sitting in Mei Jiang you feel time has slowed down and you are relaxed and really enjoy good food with no worry.

Visited March 2013

Jacksonville, FL
“Great Peking Duck!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Mei Jiang is the Chinese restaurant in the Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok. The decision to eat there was made at the last minute. It is a beautiful restaurant overlooking the back lawn of the hotel and the Chao Phrya River. We were not sure what to order so the waiter offered his assistance. He was one of the best waiters I have ever run across. Based on some general questions, he recommended both the type and the amount of food we would need for a nice dinner. We had a beef tenderloin dish, a fish dish and Peking Duck. The duck was an experience unto itself. The waiter first presented the whole duck and then went to work on it like a surgeon. He presented it in the traditional manner which was a treat for all of us. He cut the duck apart so that every bite was edible and delicious. The fish and the tenderloin were equally delicious. For a high-end hotel restaurant the price was extremely reasonable. I am leery of hotel restaurants, but in this case would recommend Mei Jiang as a destination restaurant for Chinese food in Bangkok.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong
“The best Peking Duck in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

When I say this, most people would say I must have been starving at the time. I would like to qualify my claim.

1) If you like Peking duck without the fat.
2) If you like Peking Duck with both the skin and the duck meat, not just skin.
3) If you like the skin crispy crisp and tasty!

Then the Peninisula Bangkok delivers and more! Great sauce, great crepe and the great Peninsula service (that part's free even if you do not eat there).

I had the Peninsula Bangkok duck close to 10 years ago and always thought it was really great back then; and I live in HK! On my trip to Bangkok this time, I made a sudeen spur of the moment decision to go for the duck for lunch. We made it to the Mei Jiang restaurant (temporary located in aother location on the ground floor while it is being refubished) at 2:15pm. The restaurant hostess politely indicated last order is at 2:30. I said 'no problem' and was promptly taken to a table facing the river. We ordered some dim sum, which was also delicious and asked about whether I could have half portion of the Peking Duck. It was her turn to say 'No problem!'.

And it was absollutely superb. Even better than I last remembered! The slice the duck skin with meat, then separate the meat from the skin and take off all the fat before putting the skin and meat together! Viola, the healthiest and tastiest Peking Duck in the world!

My only suggestion for improvement - place the crepe wraps in a bamboo covered container and keep it over a heated steamer to prevent the crepe from cooling and drying. A dish this good needs to be enjoyed not rushed. Although, in our case, we finished everything before 3pm! Loving every minute of it. Thanks, Peninsula Bangkok, for another great dining memory.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Don't bother”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

was there with a friend for lunch. The hotel is already so quiet and somewhat eerie as the music was switched off the few staff and people around were sort of whispering...No exaggeration!
Anyway walked down to the restaurant from the Lobby and the hostess almost jumped on me to ask if I had a reservation. I understand that she has a procedure to follow but perhaps the management could train to for a more positive approach. I might accept it if there was a queue of people to get in.
The staff at the restaurant were uninterested and aloof. A male staff was almost crossing the border to being impolite.
The food was mediocre and compared to so many Chinese restaurants across the river with easy access, this wasn't something that I would recommend.

Visited November 2011
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Saving the best for last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

When in BKK, I always stay at The Peninsula. No other hotel achieves more kindness, luxury and convenience as The Peninsula.
As for dining in BKK there are so many options. Traditionally, I always reserve the Mei Jiang for my last night in the City of Angels.
I was surprised it was not in the Tripadvisor listing, as it is the best chinese restaurant in BKK. Everything is heaven: service, smile, decor and most important, the quality and taste of the food. Dining alone is never a pleasure (thank god for room service...), but here you are extra pampered by the courteous staff.
Just experience it for yourself, you will not regret it!

• Visited September 2011