“Bring Back Jo” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2,180 of 7,183 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, Bar, Chicken Wings
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night Food, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Bangkok
“Bring Back Jo”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have been to O'Reillys many times and it has had its ups and downs but with Jo as the manager it really did have its ups. Since Jo has moved on to greener pastures this place has fallen into the hands of fools.

When a bar / restaurant advertises that they are providing something for their customers then that is what they should d%$# well do! I regularly do here to watch sporting events. One of the big ones in my calendar is the Celtic v Rangers games for the SPL. O'Reillys has been advertising this game on their website as being available at the bar ontop of that they advertised in the bar the game was being played at 6:45 pm. I travelled across town to watch, have a feed and have a drink with friends during the game.

I arrived at 6:15 pm and asked the staff if as advertised the game would be shown in the bar..."yes it would be it is on the list". The time came and went and the game never came on. I asked for the game to be put on and there was alot of confusion and the poor wait staff had no idea what to do. On the listing in the bar the channel was noted and it would be simple enough to just dial up the channel and watch the game.

This was unachieveable by the staff so i asked the manager what was happening as the game was now 20 minutes into the start and family in Australia and Scotland were telling me that two goals had already been scored. The manager was lounging around upstairs talking on his mobile and smiling away. The wait staff approached him and he said without even listening the game is not on. I asked the wait staff why it was advertised and they were not going to show the game. At this point the staff went back to the manager who got off his mobile in a fit and walked to the bar and threw the remote across the bar and stormed off downstairs. Childish fool with no care for his customers...little wonder there are no people in this bar anymore.

He returned a few mintues later and ignored me and went back to his phone call. The wait staff told me the game would not be on and they were sorry. They asked me if I would come back the following day to watch the Man U and Man City game...are they kidding why would I take the chance that they were advertising but not intending to have the game!!!!!!!!!!!

What a waste of a customers time and a dissappointment. I called my friends and told them to meet me elsewhere. By the time we found another bar to watch the game back across town the score was 3 nil and the game was 70 minutes in. Oh well my team won and I would recommend anyone wanting a great atmosphere and friendly people with beers much cheaper than O'Reillys to visit Finenganns on Sukuhmvit Soi 4 (about half way down and nearly opposite the 7/11). Happy hour until 8 pm and the beers are only 75 bahtm then they revert to 100 baht. O'Reillys has happy hour unitl 7 pm and the beers are 80 baht and then revert to 120 baht and more.

Do not visit O'Reillys it is not worth the waste of your breath as far as I am concerned. The group that owns this bar and a few others should bring back Jo, which will bring back your customers. Bar managers throwing fits because customers are interfering with their calls to their girlfriends during working hours are not going to be endearing to your customers.

Why advertise you will show particular sporting events and then not even make the effort to do so. Jo always kept true to the commitment made on the internet and in the bar. What has gone wrong at this bar???

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Prestatyn, UK
“A decent take on the Irish pub in Thailand, but very expensive compared to Thai prices.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Not sure why tourists would go to Thailand and then visit an Irish pub, especially when it charges Irish prices, but it is popular with expats because it does replicate the Irish/British pub feel. Can also be a good bet for live sports events.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malmo, Sweden
“Keeping up the good work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Visited a couple of times during January 2012 and I never get disappointed here. Never tried the quiznights but heard it is a Must from friends.Relax here before and after a bustling Patpongtrip!

• Visited January 2012
Bangkok
“Great bar...pretty good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I live near here so I go pretty regularly. The wait staff is friendly and the drinks are reasonably price. Chang draft is always a good deal. I have eaten the bar food several times which is not bad. I'd pass on the fish and chips as it's just okay.

The absolute best part about the bar is the Bealtes cover band that plays on Friday night - Bangkok Beatles. They are the best Beatles tribute band I have ever, ever seen. Come at 9pm on Friday to see them. Best music show in Bangkok as far as I'm concerned.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“I know the owner, so I'd better be careful ... :-)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Seriously, here we go with the ubiquitous Irish-themed pub in far-flung places. Even of the owner is a fellow Yorkshireman.

Despite my numerous trips to BKK, I didn't actually get to O'Reilly's until August last year. I shared a table initially with an English friend (the above) and this mental (in a nice way)American bloke that likes to party a lot in Bangkok. You know who you are ... On that visit, I just made a few beers disappear and listened to an excellent band that has done a gig in the Robin Hood English pub on Sukhumvit, a day or two earlier. Like other outlets owned by the person in question, O'Reilly's is friendly and unpretentious; a superb drinking establishment that caters to thirsty ex-pats with a penchant for decent beer, excellent , friendly and accommodating service, a good live band, and a plethora of TV screens showing non-stop sport if that's what floats yer boat.

I ate later on that week, just a plate of good, wholesome Euro-Atlantic food to help absorb the alcohol. Well cooked and hot, it did what it's supposed to and represents very good value for money in my humble opinion. No problems at all. If there are any drawbacks then I'd say that geographically it's a bit removed from the throbbing heartbeat of Sukhumvit Road; but, there's always Patpong over the road, if you like that kind of thing. Check it out - you'll like it. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to sample it, anyway :-) I'll be the lunatic headbanging to AC/DC if I can coerce the band into playing some ....

• Visited August 2011