“Great location, great view..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn

Save Saved
You added Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn to your Saves list
Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33/1 South Sathorn Road | Yannawa, Sathon, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #11 of 751 hotels in Bangkok
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great location, great view..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have just finished a 3 night stay at this hotel. The rooms are very clean & very modern. We stayed on floor 28 & our view was great. The location is so convenient as it is linked to a stop on the sky train which we found to be just perfect. One stop one way takes you to the river & 5 stops the other way to Siam Square. This made travelling around the city for sightseeing so easy. We ordered room service on the first night, the food was nice & fairly reasonably priced. Breakfast was good, a good variety. The pool looked lush, sadly we didn't have enough time to use it. Just a few small problems - one day we came back after spending the whole day out to find our room had not been serviced, also the lifts are annoying as there are so few for the whole hotel. Also the lifts and corridors are very warm & the ac in the bedroom didn't seem brilliant - it was cool enough but we like they room to be especially chilly. When we checked out the lines were quite long & it took around 20 minutes before we were seen. Overall I would consider this hotel to be a good 4 star at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1,706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We recently stayed in this Hotel, Great choice. The check in was smooth, the staff are professional but friendly and polite. Rooms are very clean, spacious, stylish and comfortable with a fantastic view. The hotel is directly linked to the skytrain which is a really big advantage. Breakfast was great with wide choice. Pool area was gorgeous. We would recommend a stay here to anyone and will be back again.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We looooved this place!

This was our first hotel in Thailand: we stayed 3 nights in an executive room.

First: the place. The hotel is directly linked to the skytrain which is a really big advantage! There is so much trafic in Bkk that this transport will make you save tim.

The welcome: since we had an executive room, we had to check in at the executive floor (32nd) which was nice.
Our room (3207) was beautiful! With a very nice river view. We loved it!
The room was cleant at leat twice a day! You really feel like it's a five star service!

Then, we got to enjoy a free-aperitif every night which was amazing!
An excellent wine selection and very good food :-) we were very happy about that.

Last but not least: the pool is great! We went there at least once a day and every time, was a good moment.

We loved our stay in this hotel and we cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed April 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was really nice and fancy. We were on the 27th floor with great views, the room was nice and very clean, the pool was great, the breakfast was also very good. We spent our last 3 nights of a 2 month holiday here, after staying in budget 1 and 2 star hotels and guesthouses all over Thailand and southeast Asia we decided to treat ourselves to a 5 star hotel to end our trip. Although the hotel was very nice we were a bit dissapointed, paying $100 pn after staying around se asia in places for about $10-$15 I guess we expected alot more. When we cheked in there was a big line and it took about 30 min to chek in, never took us more than 5 min anywhere else, the room was very clean and fancy but small compared with cheaper places, the service was good apart from chek in, but impersonal compared to guesthouses and budget hotel's. The pool was great but always busy and people would leave there towels on the limited sun chairs and not use them for hour's, pretty greedy, as we never got the chance to use one. The breakfast was good but always busy and hectic, people pushing in and rushing to get in first. The hotel was definatly good but we just enjoyed our experience at guesthouses and budget hotels so much more. You get alot for your money in se asia and we felt you get much more at a nice guesthouse. This hotel was great tho super easy acsess to bts skytrain so was great for us to get around. Mixed feelings about 5 star hotels after this

• Stayed April 2013
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at the Eastin to conclude our one month honeymoon in Southeast Asia. Our choice was based on previous reviews, and recommendations from locals in Bangkok. After our stay, I am completely confused as to all these positive reviews.

The following summarizes our experience:

1. Elevators and floors. Besides not having sufficient elevators for the enormity of the hotel to accomodate its guests, there is no air conditioning inside them. I am 6 months pregnant with severe oedema (swelling of the feet and legs), so the lack of air conditioning in the elevators, especially when going to/from our room (located on the second to last floor presents hardship. I literally felt a lack of air, and broke out into a sweat by the time I arrived to my destination. I called the call center the first night to address this, and was told that the air conditioning is not used because it is too noisy. After writing the GM about this amongst other issues, I was told that a "fresh air system" was being used. Not fresh enough, I can tell you. Especially when you are cramped with other guests in a small elevator.

2. Breakfast. Despite some prior reveiews on Trip Advisor, I was happy with the breakfast buffet. I am a trained chef give it an A+ for freshness and variety. The only exception are the juices which are loaded with sugar, would have loved fresh squeezed, but I am being picky here. But what you should know is that because of my condition, I am strictly not allowed to drink any caffeine. Twice I was slipped caffinated coffee despite my request for decaffinated. This is harmful to my baby and to me as hightened blood pressure levels can bring on preclampsia and result in me going into premature labor. Not good.

3. The final and most important issue is a horrid experience with an infamous mafia controlled taxi driver and how Eastin staff handled the situation. Returning from a trip to Wat Pho, we hailed a taxi to return to the hotel. As soon as we entered the cab, we instructed him to take us to the hotel at which point he refused because the hotel was too far. As it was very hot today and we were in an unkown area far from the reach of public transport, we pleaded with him for 20 minutes to take us but he would not budge. At that point we thought to call the hotel as Thai speakers they could assist us. This other than calling the police were our options. We first spoke to a young lady in the call center who after a lengthy conversation with the driver told me that he would assist us in getting another taxi, and to get out of the cab. Bless her for thinking that this taxi driver was a good person, but we knew that the minute we stepped out of the taxi, he would have left us in a New York minute. But she made a valiant effort and I thank her. However, people´s natures are already engrained within, and this taxi driver, after trying only 5 minutes to flag down another cab, took the keys out of the ignition, leaving us without air conditioning and just stood on the street, waiting for us to give up. After 15 minutes in the sweltering heat, even my husband and I were trying to flag down taxis but to no avail. Finally, I had no other choice but to call the hotel again for assistance.

I reached a man this time, who already knew of the situation, who knew of my pregnancy. His brilliant suggestion was that my husband and I should just leave the cab, understand that it was rush hour so therefore only natural that we could not get a taxi to go to the hotel, and that we should just stand curbside to hail another cab. Sweltering heat, after already 30 minutes fighting a taxi driver, legs and feet swollen to elephant size (I kid you not). Genial and commensurate with 4.5 star service. Why did I have to suggest to have the call center repo talk in Thai to the driver to at least take us to the closest BTS station? If I were him, I would have taken control, realized the gravity of the situation and arranged a taxi and have it sent to me. And if I am asking too much, then I would have suggested the very same thing that I had to him.

This whole ordeal was very frightening and frustrating. By all means what happened was not at all the fault of the Eastin staff, but the way we were assisted (or not) is. To be told to exit a taxi and hail another one is implorable, regardless of my condition or not. I certainly was not expecting this from a 4.5 star hotel.

4. Pool service. We decided to stay in one afternoon and enjoy the pool. Want a drink or something to eat? Better get up and go to the bar to order yourself. Staff apparantly doesn´t know how to take the initiative to ask guests if they want to order anything. Far more important to chit chat amongst themselves.

5. If you need a special type of pillow or even just a harder one (their standard is very soft without much support to the neck), best to bring your own. No other options available.

6. Decor? Nothing to write about home. 4.5 stars to me signifies cutting edge design and luxe setting. I´ve stayed at Doubletree Hilton and was reminded of their decor at the Eastin.

7. Clientele? Not 4.5 stars, I can tell you. Couch surfers, bargain hunters who want to be able to say they stayed in a 4.5 star hotel but who have never been, and outright savages (manouevering your way amongst these people at breakfast is a challenge). I lost track of the amount of guests who cut me off, pushed me aside or bumped into me just for that croissant.

4.5 stars? I am in wonder how the Eastin got them. Next visit you will find me at the W.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EGS_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear DKGAmsterdam

Greetings from Eastin Grand Sathorn Bangkok.

I am writing this reply to your Trip Advisor review as it appears to somewhat disregard our apologies and explanations of the incidents you describe which I have detailed in my email response to yourself after receiving your Guest Satisfaction Survey after you left the hotel.

As explained to you by email, the elevators and guest floor corridors do not contain air conditioning but a fresh air system and the staff member who supposedly informed you that we did not use the air conditioning because it was “too noisy” was in error. Furthermore I also apologized in the same email if you were misinformed.

Again I will apologize for my staff serving you the wrong coffee as this was clearly a service failure and have instructed them to be more aware of guests in your condition to avoid such a situation in the future.

It seems to me that the crux of your review is your incident with the “infamous mafia-controlled taxi driver”. I would like to address this issue to protect the reputation of our business and ensure that the facts are accurately portrayed as, despite your claims, we did everything possible to assist you in an “incident” that in no way, shape or form could be construed as the responsibility of the hotel to rectify. However, as our justified reputation for service proves, we endeavoured to help you and it is regrettable that our efforts were unappreciated.

My detailed investigations have shown that the taxi driver of the taxi that you took on your own accord from Wat Po informed you that he had insufficient fuel to bring you to the hotel. You contacted the hotel and my staff spoke to the taxi driver who offered to find you another taxi. Being unsuccessful you then contacted the hotel again 15 minutes later and then in conjunction with our staff member asked the taxi driver to take you to the nearest BTS station (this being the most expedient solution as Eastin Grand is directly connected to Surasak BTS station). As you suggested here that we should have sent a taxi from the hotel to your location (central Bangkok in rush hour) at that time would have taken at least an hour therefore it was not a viable option with my staff being aware of your delicate condition. If there were any other options to bring you back to the hotel after a trip of your own choice and undertaking then my staff would have taken them. Frankly the best option would have been for the hotel to arrange for a taxi to take you to your initial destination and then been at your disposal to bring you back to the hotel at your convenience but for some reason you did not do this which is surprising given your pregnant condition. I would also like to mention that we have located the taxi company who served you on this day and have made a formal complaint both with them and the Transport Department on your behalf. I must also for the record state that when you returned to the hotel and spoke to the duty manager about the incident, he graciously offered as a gesture of goodwill of the inconvenience caused (through no fault of the hotel) a complimentary dinner for you and your husband which you have not mentioned in your review of the hotel.

Regarding your comment about the pillow which was not communicated to me in your earlier direct email, our records show that you requested another pillow and one was delivered to your room. Unfortunately after that we received no other feedback and I apologize that no other option was available.

I have passed your comment to my Director of Food and Beverage about the lack of attention by the staff at the poolside and this will be addressed.

One point I would like to add is with regards to your completely unwarranted comment about our valued guests being “couch surfers, bargain hunters and outright savages”. I am extremely disappointed by this as, quite frankly; it is derogatory and insulting to the many people whom we welcome to our hotel.

In the meantime we will continue offering our guests the same levels of comfort and service that the vast majority of them seem to truly appreciate judging by the feedback we receive and our current ranking on this website.

John Westoby
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Good Points:
Breakfast was exceptional with wide choice
Most staff were very good and polite
Pool area was gorgeous (but can get very busy with nowhere to sit)
Good transport link next to train
Not so good points:
Staff on reception were not that helpful and could be blunt
Pool is not big enough for the amount of poeple in hotel so not always somewhere to sit
Nowhere to sunbath

I would definatley stay here again at the right price but you cant always get a room for less than £70 a night

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel for 5 nights. The room (Executive Level) was nicely decorated with a comfy bed and good size bathroom. Only minus is that there is not enough space to store all your personal belongings as the wardrobe space is quite small.
The breakfast is okay. We tried both, the breakfast at the 5th floor and the one served in the executive lounge.
Pool area is very nice, but quite small for such a big hotel. Hence you might not get a sunbed as they already occupied.
We also used the gym on a regular base. Its not big but suitable for a good workout and the equipment is new. Actually not a surprise, as the hotel is just one year old.
All in all we had a very pleasant time at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn? Share your experiences!