“In A World Of Pure Imagination” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 218 Attractions in Bangkok
4.0 of 5 stars 85 Reviews
Type: Performances, Theaters & Stadiums
More attraction details
Owner description: Live theater and cabaret show twice a night in Bangkok. Featuring beautiful Thai dancers and stunning, stage designs that create scenes from around the world. It is a non-stop roller coaster of entertainment that ranges through classical ballet, tap, hip-hop, contemporary styles and famous pieces from international musicals.Inside the theater you will be surrounded by fine artwork and have access to panoramic stage views. Staff will ensure you are comfortable with service, dining and a free drink of your choice. The first show is at 20:15 and the second at 21:45. Located in the lobby of The Asia Hotel, The Playhouse is easy to travel to by car, motorcycle, bus or taxi and is next door to the BTS Ratchathewi station.Treat yourself to a night out at one of the best attractions in Bangkok. Book your tickets now, availability is limited.
Miami, Florida
113 attraction reviews
“In A World Of Pure Imagination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

It's about 8:10pm and after departing with THB$1200, I am descending down a set of spiraling stairs next to a mirrored wall. I am inside the Asia Hotel where one by one an almost over friendly staff welcomes guests to The Playhouse Theater.

Our free drinks are served while the house lights are up and it is well past the 8:15 pm showtime before the house lights are finally turned down. A lengthy and loud introduction soundtrack is played as we can see and hear commotion going on behind the still closed stage curtains. Obviously, the “Quiet On The Set or Positions Please” call has not been made.

“Come with me and you will be in a world of pure imagination”

I accept the inviting challenge of the opening act and forget that I am in a theater with only about thirty people. I assume most of us are here because of our curiosity about the actors. It is not long before the calm invitation of the opening act turns into a high energy performance.

It is taking a lot of my imagination to accept what I should be accepting. Over the course of the next hour or so the energy level of the show decreases every once and awhile but not for too long. From a tribute to Michael Jackson by MJ himself to a rendition of Fame, I am really enjoying the vigor of this performance.

For me, two funny moments in the show comes from seeing male ballerina dancers and learning about the sad fate of a couple of “ladies men”, playboys. The first one got two warning shots to the head (at least he was warned), the other happen to fall on a kitchen knife about ten times. I guess they both had it coming.

In my younger days I knew a man that would dance for you, in worn out shoes. He once told me:

“But most the time I spend behind these county bars 'cause I drink a bit”. I ask him, please Mr Bojangles, Mr Bojangles, Mr Bojangles, dance.

For a group whose native tongue is not English this is one of the coolest rendition of Mr Bojangles that I have ever seen.

No doubt The Playhouse Cabaret has a lot of missteps and is not destined for Broadway anything soon but this turns out to be a fun experience. As the show ends I am still left wondering, really those were really. Really?

Leaving the theater we get the opportunity to take pictures with the actors in exchange for sometimes aggressive request for tips. I don't mind as I enjoyed the performance and maybe they are starving theater students. Up close I do discovery that some of them are not who they appeared to be on the stage.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Vegas doesn't really have to worry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were looking for a sexy, fun, unique experience in Bangkok. We left underwhelmed. The crowd did seem to have some energy, which helped. I am glad we stopped in to see the ladyboys while in Bangkok, but we left feeling the lip syncing was a bit cheesy. In the end, they give you the opportunity to take pictures with them, which was fun to share on facebook, but they were pushy and kept asking for more tips. You can go out the other exit and not have to go by them at the end if you don't want to.

guildford
“Fun - high energy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Fun high energy. Excellent dance moves from some very talented classically trained dancers. Some dire song choices mimed. A British telephone box on a US set made us smile. Worth a visit. Expensive for an hour - but they have a large cast and lots of costumes. Cast work hard. I am very glad we went. Overall I would recommend,

Visited December 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
6 attraction reviews
“Unexpected Wonderful show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I went to Playhouse theater after a few friends recommended, we've been before to other Lady Boy shows but this one was different right from the start. I personally loved it, everything was great, the show, the atmosphere a great vibe. If you are looking for an entertaining night in Bangkok, then this cabaret venue is perfect for the entire family, Recommended!..... and the dancers are great! The location is in Asia Hotel and the price is 1200 baht included one drink.

Madison, Wisconsin
10 attraction reviews
“Way too expensive, but a really good show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

For a one-hour-long show, it is WAY overpriced. But, the show is very good. The ladyboys and regular boys are very talented, with just a few hiccups in dancing that shows they aren't the absolute best of the best. Amazing costumes! Fun music!

The ladyboys will pull you into their midst to get photographed with them at the end of the show and won't let you go without you tipping everyone who got in the shot. Keep this in mind when you are budgeting if you think you'll want a photo with the cast.

DO NOT order a drink except beer or wine. It will be so watered down you won't be able to tell you didn't order a soda.