“Recommended but ...” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
London, United Kingdom
“Recommended but ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

very good for breakfast, good cappuccino and good cakes (pancakes is nice to see but the taste should be improved). i recommended this place but the prices are higher than average

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Was expecting better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had the big breakfast set and found it to be quite good. Wanted to try something chocolate but the display didn't have anything interesting for my taste.
They were promoting Belgian Chocolate Beer - which I didn't really understand - but will certainly give it a try on my next visit.
Be warned that the place fills up very quickly and we had to wait for seats.
Also the service tends be a bit slow. Took more than 30 minutes to get my order filled.

I wanted to give this place a higher rating but the service (for the prices) just didn't justify it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
toey15, Owner at Chu Chocolate Bar & Cafe, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thanks for your review and please accept my apologies for disappointing you on your visit. We are well aware of the shortcomings with service in our shop, especially recently since we have been getting more customers than usual. Still there shouldn't be any excuse and making you wait 30 minutes to get your order filled is unacceptable. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your breakfast and although you mentioned that the display didn't have anything interesting for you I hope you had a chance to look at our dessert menu that has many other items that are not in the display. Also the Belgian Chocolate Beer is exactly that, it is a Chocolate flavoured Beer imported from Belgium. I hope you had the chance to try one of our hot chocolates, particularly the 58% Dark Chocolate which is our signature. We will work to get better and hope to welcome you back again for a more pleasant experience.

Toey na Ranong
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Let me start by saying I have been to Chu many times and I have really enjoyed the food there - in the past. Especially desserts. Unfortunately, the last couple of times I have visited the place is at full capacity and servers can't keep up with orders and patrons. The last drop was during my last visit, when I ordered a panini. Over 45 minutes passed and there was no sign of the panini. Mind you this was a non-complicated one - mushrooms and cheese. When I finally got a hold of someone (one of the three people making food/serving/charging at the cash registrar) they realized they hadn't made it. They hurried, but the result was that they did not tell me there was no panini bread and instead decided to serve the mushrooms in the sorriest looking english muffins I had ever seen. Certainly not what I expected of a USD 6 panini.

Reason I am giving a 3 rating rather than a 1 or a 2 is because I have been there before and I know they are capable of doing better. Perhaps having more staff would help? Note that I have also noticed that when the place is full they help groups and couples get a seat before singles. I hope to one day return when the service and food have improved.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
toey15, Owner at Chu Chocolate Bar & Cafe, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear D P,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am disappointed to hear about your experience and I hope you can accept my apologies. Over the years our business has been dependent on repeat customers like yourself and your satisfaction is very important to me. We are in the process of changing store managers and there has been some staff turnover after the New Year so our service team is still not at full capacity. Recently, particularly on weekends, we have seen an overwhelming amount of customers at our shop which, coupled with the several new staff and our very small kitchen has resulted in longer waiting times for food. The incident with the bread switching without asking you, however, is inexcusable and I will surely bring this up with the staff. (However, we do use top quality Organic Wholewheat English Muffin from Zgi's) Thank you once again for your comments and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our shop as much as you had in the past but hopefully these were not fatal mistakes and I hope you will choose to come back to Chu in the future.

Toey na Ranong
Owner
Chu Chocolate Bar
Canoa
“Nice Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Nice place to have a traditional brunch with eggs your style, bacon, sausages, toast, juice... and the pancakes were really great too. There are a few nice seats with a great view to the busy street. Will go again for sure.

Phuket, Thailand
“Real chocolate and churros”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have visited Chu at the Interchange building (corner of Asoke with Sukhumvit) a few times and the hot chocolate and the churros are fantastic specially the hot chocolate with chillies. You might not feel like having hot chocolate in Bkk but it is really delicious the coffe is excellent too. The place is laid back with comfortable couches ideal to go if you have children we will be coming back for sure great place.

• Visited December 2012