“Clean, friendly, homey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smile Society

You added Smile Society to your Saves list
Smile Society
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   130/3-4, Silom Soi 6 | Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Ranked #3 of 565 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Clean, friendly, homey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Arrived around 1 AM (late plane), thank goodness for excellent directions provided by the staff in advanced! Very clean dorms, a lot of friendly people passing through and staying here. The environment is very homey, common room is on the second floor (only place with wi-fi), so everyone hangs out there. Breakfast was great, everyone eats together in the morning, so it's a great place to chat with others and make plans for the day. Bathrooms were exceptionally clean, staff would clean them multiple times a day. The staff was so helpful with directions, ordering a taxi, making suggestions for activities. Loved it!! Great value for the money! Felt very safe as a solo female traveler.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I booked with this hostel because it has a lot of excellent reviews but my experience there was the worst. I booked a month before I arrived there April 2012. And a day before my arrival I sent them an email reconfirming my booking and even asked a local Thai friend of mine to call them and check if they received it. They said "YES. See you." that is all. On my arrival they accommodated me and I just went to bed and slept. The next day when I woke up little did I know that I should be out of the hostel right away because they did not reserve a bed space for me. They did not said anything to me I just realized it when my key card was not working after having breakfast outside then the receptionist told me "Oh we are already fully booked" I was so shocked and told them that I even emailed you and my friend called you the receptionist just kept her head down and just did not answered. She was already asking for the key card and returning my deposit money I was so surprised by how rude she was because my things are still all inside the room that I slept in. I was so mad and I emailed my friend who was supposed to arrive the next day also and will be checking in at Smile Society. When she arrived same thing happened to her they told her she has no room and should find another place. - Please take note that we booked a month early.
I would have some reviews about the place and all but as I was not able to stay for a long time all I can say is that it was clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Smile Society, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Thank you, Dinah Castillo, for your details. We are sorry for this over booking. We tried to investigate for what happen to you as it was couple months ago. As we explianed to your friend whom made these reservations via email with us, at that time we had problem on password lock which took 4-5 days (over weekend) to unlock it by our online agent. It caused rooms over booked. We had contacted those overbooking guests and they all understood of this situation.

We found your record for checked in quite late at 2:37am. You had requested and paid for ONLY 1 NIGHT stay. The key card was then issued for ONLY 1 night with its card expiry date set to be at noon (12:00). This is quite common in all hotels/hostels that operate with key card system while the Guest registration form also notifies the check out time.

Following day in the late morning, Receptionist saw you went out and you didn't advise to extend the stay. Neither, she expected you would come back late after check out time (12:00). This is the reason why key card didn't work when you came back after 12:00. Since our Receptionist was not told that you want to extend your stay, otherwise, you will be notified of room non-availability before you went out.

As for your friend who supposed to check in 2 days later, we already replied to her email 1 day in advance prior to her arrival that beds were sold out as our locked password prohibited us to update room availability in time. Please accept our apology and please be noted that we love to serve and welcome all guests as many as possible. Since we are small hostel, our beds are limited. We suggest 1) guests should book a bed according to nights that they wish to stay as to avoid full booking happen and 2) any extension of stay must be informed to receptionist at earlier convenient and must prior to check out time (12:00). Check out after 12:00 will be subject to late check out charge (by which we had waived the late check out charge for your case). Last but not least, staying with many people must respect to house rule otherwise, your late check out will cause problem for coming guests who were waiting for bed.

We are sorry for long explaination, we just want you to be clear again on how hostels/hotels operate and we want all readers to this review to understand the fact.

Sincerely yours,
Management of Smile Society
Brighton, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

With a very nice location in the center, this hostel has really great rooms. Very well decorated like in a top class hotel but with an afordable price !
The common area and the breakfast room are just perfect to meet other travellers.
And the people that run the place are really lovely and helpfull.
We loved staying there and we highly recommend that place in Bangkok.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stumbled across Smile Society hostel during our 1 mth stay in Bangkok. Got to say i was really impressed with the facilities, hospitality, cleanliness and most of such a homely environment. Been travelling for 3 mths and this is the cleanest hostel i've stayed in. The dorms are spacious, bathrooms have 2 showers!!, the lounge and separate tv room is great to unwind in after a hectic day.
We were travelling around Thailand so we used the hostel as a base, but we couldn't wait to come back after staying in some not so nice hostels!!
Your guaranteed to have a great stay, Bee and Nid (the owners) put a 101% to in sure you do so.They really went out of their way to help us with absolutely anything.I have recommend the hostel to friends and the next time i'm back in Bangkok i will definitely be back :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on our 1st night in Bangkok and the last 2 nights before we went home. Smile society is a great place to stay to explore the city!

The rooms are spacious, clean and air con (much needed!).

The staff are friendly and always willing to give travel information. The location of the hostel is excellent - 5 mins walk from the Skytrain, 2 mins walk from PatPhong night bazarre and lots of street food stalls and restaurants. You can explore the city easily from here which we did and it was great to come back to a comfortable room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is MY hostel whenever I visit Bangkok. The owners, Bee and Nid, would even help and assist me in cases when I have troubles with my trips.

I highly recommend this hostel as I always feel secured when I stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I never usually do reviews, but for this I made sure to leave one. Smile Society has been the gold standard of hostels. The owners took every possible step to make sure we were taken care of. I could not of asked for a better hostel and it was very cheap! The rooms were very well taken care of and every morning we had breakfast. They booked anything we asked them to, told us about recent scams and things to look out for and made sure we felt at home. I would go out of my way to stay here again. Wow!

Room Tip: Stayed in the 4 person and 2 person rooms... Very nice.